I was on the phone with CS yesterday, b/c they put out an automated call claiming we were close to going over (or had already exceeded) our monthly usage plan...which turned out to be DEAD wrong, my data is obviously unlimited, and our voice minutes haven't even eclispsed the 1k mark (we've got over 2k family plan).

Anyway, towards the end the call, the rep went into her scripted "blah, blah, blah" recommendations and whatnot. One of them was to perform a monthly phone update via the 228# (?) option 2 method (I might have the keys wrong, but it's the same process they made me do to "reset" my phone when I changed phone #s)...

My question - does this "update" apply to us Crackberry's...I was under the impression updates were "pushed" to us as they were available, whether they were RIM OS updates or VZW system updates.
    12-18-08 09:53 AM
    *228 just updates your "awareness" of new cell towers in your area as far as I know.
    12-18-08 09:55 AM
    They say that it is a good thing to do at least every 3 months...
    12-18-08 09:56 AM
    Howdy,

I am pretty certain the *228 option 2 that she wanted you to do updates your roaming capabilities of your phone. So as I understand it, that doesn't change your BB OS, but only the towers and such that your phone is able to use on the cellular network.

As far as the push goes, you are correct.
    12-18-08 09:57 AM
    it just updates your phones connection to the network
    12-18-08 09:57 AM
    I was on the phone with CS yesterday, b/c they put out an automated call claiming we were close to going over (or had already exceeded) our monthly usage plan...which turned out to be DEAD wrong, my data is obviously unlimited, and our voice minutes haven't even eclispsed the 1k mark (we've got over 2k family plan).

Anyway, towards the end the call, the rep went into her scripted "blah, blah, blah" recommendations and whatnot. One of them was to perform a monthly phone update via the 228# (?) option 2 method (I might have the keys wrong, but it's the same process they made me do to "reset" my phone when I changed phone #s)...

My question - does this "update" apply to us Crackberry's...I was under the impression updates were "pushed" to us as they were available, whether they were RIM OS updates or VZW system updates.
    This isn't the same update that everyone is talkng about. The update is for the network.
    12-18-08 09:58 AM
    This is a network update - it has nothing to do with device itself.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-08 09:59 AM
    I have found that it is a good thing to do also when traveling. Once the plane lands in a new city that I have not been to for awhile. If nothing else it gives me something to do while the plane heads to the gate.
    12-18-08 10:04 AM
    *228 then option 2.

It update's the PRL file on your device.

PRL = Preferred Roaming List. It's basically the file that has all the cell tower info, roaming abilities etc.. Any new towers that are put up, or signed into a contract to allow for roaming, the device wont recogonize it unless the PRL is updated.

All CDMA carriers do this.

GSM devices are a little different.. just pop the battery out and back in. =)
    12-18-08 10:06 AM
    ah, ok - I'm new to the CDMA world, been on GSM for years now...thanks for the info.

*228, option 2 every 1-2 months for optimal performance then?

How often are they adding towers, at this point?
    12-18-08 11:41 AM
    Who knows.. =)

1-2 may be a little much, the carrier's dont spend THAT much money on upgrading/adding towers.. I'd do it maybe a couple times a year.. and anytime you visit some place new with low bars..
    12-18-08 01:04 PM
    Were is the prl at on the storms system

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-08 10:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD