Hey guys,

The first Storm I got had the screen with the yellow tint and everything was fine. After a while the screen became hard to click in certain places so I asked for a replacement. After one new replacement, and two refurbished replacements, I have yet to see a screen with the same yellow tint that I originally had. Is there any way to get a phone with this yellow tint? If I'm stuck with this ugly blue tinted phone I think I'll just return it.
    12-31-08 08:11 PM
    I've heard about this mystical blue tint on these replacements. My phone was made on the 18th and I don't see the tint so i'd like to know the manufacturing date on yours and pics would be great!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-08 08:33 PM
    from what ive read and what makes sense it seems as if these cooler screens which i have in my replacement is what RIM is now using for whatever reason. it doesnt affect performance and if you hadnt had the other version then you woudlnt even know anyway. so just accept it
    12-31-08 08:35 PM
    from what ive read and what makes sense it seems as if these cooler screens which i have in my replacement is what RIM is now using for whatever reason. it doesnt affect performance and if you hadnt had the other version then you woudlnt even know anyway. so just accept it
    Sure it doesn't affect performance, but it sure does look uglier. I guess I'll accept it and move on.

I've heard about this mystical blue tint on these replacements. My phone was made on the 18th and I don't see the tint so i'd like to know the manufacturing date on yours and pics would be great!

There are a lot of pics posted in other threads on the same issue. I only have one battery now so I can't take pics of both phones at the same time.
    12-31-08 08:39 PM
    ive got the blue tint and my phone is new well 3 weeks or so i love it easy on the eyes
    12-31-08 08:42 PM
    When was yours manufactured though?

12-31-08 08:43 PM
    12-2-08 made in mexico
    12-31-08 08:54 PM

Looks somewhat like this. (Best pics I could get)

Cool Screen.

Correct Warm Screen.

12-31-08 11:39 PM
    ewww, i am glad i have the correct screen. that blue screen looks terrible. looks like rim got a deal on crappy lcd panels and took it.
    01-01-09 12:32 AM
    i got the blue screen in my 2nd replacement, thats why its back at vzw lol.
    01-01-09 01:17 AM
    To be honest I perfer the one with the blue tint. The icons and description just seem sharper. I have the so called blue tint on mine so I may be biased. My girl had one with a yellow tint which we returned for a blue tinted one. Now both our phones look great IMO
    01-01-09 01:55 AM
    So I've studied these two screens further and here's what I've found...

First, the comparison photos above are a bit off. The cool screen is exaggerated. Black levels are not nearly that bad, and the whites on the warm screen are more yellow than it appears. This is probably because of a white balance issue with the photos.

Warm screen
    -In the extended menu, black levels seems deeper and text a bit more yellow
    -In white background (contacts, options, etc) there is actually a slight green tint for whatever reason
    -Certain colors stand out more/are more saturated: greens and yellows, especially.
    -Grey colors have a definite warm tint to them, but seem more accurate overall. Sometimes the greys border on green (Google Maps grey areas of the map for example)

Cool screen
    -In the extended menu, whites appear much brighter and bluer (the highlights on the buttons themselves, in particular) but the black levels are very close to the warm screen.
    -In white backgrounds (contacts, etc) there is a slight red tint. This is a bit odd and I don't see it in the Browser for instance... it might be more pronounced when comparing the two screens in person.
    -Grey tones are very cool in photos. But, in Google Maps I actually prefer the cooler screen over the warm one as the green tint isn't there.

Oddly, the first cool screen I got (Dec 18th, Canada) was not as sharp or as bright as the warm screen my dad has, but the replacement I got with another cool screen (Dec 23rd, Mexico) is brighter and sharper than the warm one was. I can run the new one at about 30 brightness and that's comparable to 40 on the warm, whereas the old cool screen I had to run at 60 to match the 40 brightness of the warm.

I was pretty appalled with the original cool screen I got. The lower brightness and less sharp text were very annoying, but with the new one, I'm finding the cool screen livable because of how sharp and bright it is over the warmer one. As someone who values color accuracy I prefer the warm screen, but this newer cool one is easier to use for basic phone functions (SMS, Browsing, Email, etc).

After comparing both, they have their pluses and minuses and I can't really find a clear winner. Perhaps my cool screen is better than others (it was certainly better than my first one), and if you have one with poor sharpness I could definitely see you wanting to get rid of it, but I don't think the cool screen is as inferior as I once thought.
    01-01-09 03:50 AM
    If you take a screen capture of both the cool screen and of the warm screen, they both will come out the same, and match the warm one. Which leaves me to believe the cool screen is some how distorting the way it should be. Could be a blessing in disguise, as some Blackberryians like it tho.

By the way Happy New Year!
    Last edited by Jascias; 01-01-09 at 05:10 AM.
    01-01-09 04:45 AM
    What matters most is which screen color temp shows all that dust between the glass and LCD more.

[this post drips w/sarcasm]
    Last edited by onstageone; 01-01-09 at 08:27 AM.
    01-01-09 08:17 AM
    lets whine about everything possible shall we?
    01-01-09 08:22 AM
    just got a blue screen replacement ill keep it cuz the phone works much better in my case. no more random reboots. it could be purple for all i care as long as it works. and no its not as bad as the pic shows. if i didnt have the other one i'd prob never notice it
    01-01-09 08:49 AM
    How essay is it to get a replacement? Because I'm kinds upset with mine now

01-02-09 02:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD