In my quest to get my girlfriend a snowSTORM of a christmas present, I have researched extensively what my options are as far as purchasing a storm for use on another carrier such as ATT. This morning I took initiative and called Verizon wireless global services. This is a summary of what I told them.

I told them that I was currently an ATT customer who was interested in switching to Verizon. I mentioned I was a student and would be studying abroad for the months of January to July in Europe. I asked if it woud be possible to avoid roaming charges through Verizon through somehow enabling the phone to work with carriers oversees so that I may be able to put a sim card in it and use a local phone plan.

Verizon said:

Yes, we can unlock the phone to enable use on a gsm carrier. All you need to do Is call us and tell us which provider you will be using. We will give you the unlock code and you simply put your sim card in.

Therefore, if you know someone that has a Verizon wireless account, you can unlock the phone and it should work on ATT provided its specs. You may also be able to wait until someone unlocks it. Maybe I'll see more of you in line on Friday .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by jdmoises27; 11-17-08 at 04:16 PM. Reason: More specific
    11-17-08 12:16 PM
    This will not work for AT&T if what you said is true though, you will be able to use non-VZW providers such as Orange overseas.

The Storm does not have the GSM bands that are used in the USA 900/1800, only the ones used in Europe 850/1950.

So the Storm is "international only" I would be happy if VZW Global is telling you the truth being able to use international providers would be awesome
    11-17-08 12:40 PM
    This will not work for AT&T if what you said is true though, you will be able to use non-VZW providers such as Orange overseas.

The Storm does not have the GSM bands that are used in the USA 900/1800, only the ones used in Europe 850/1950.

So the Storm is "international only" I would be happy if VZW Global is telling you the truth being able to use international providers would be awesome
    The specs on the storm (9530) show that it has NA GSM bands. This is a fact. The question has been whether Verizon will lock them. Appraently they will, but they will provide unlock codes for the phone which will allow us to use the NA GSM bands.

This has been the question, whether the phone will be locked and, if so, would it be possible to unlock. The question was never whether the phone would be able to support the bands.

11-17-08 12:48 PM
    Oh yea, 3G definitely won't work, but Edge will.

Here are the specs:

* 7.2 mbps HSDPA/UMTS (2100/1900/850 MHz)
    * Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)

Last edited by jdmoises27; 11-17-08 at 12:56 PM.
    11-17-08 12:50 PM
    it is unclear how excatly this will work. from all my readings, if the storm senses any cdma signal, it automatically switches to that making NA GSM not operable. And by the sounds of what the tech said, they will provide an unlock code for a certain carriers sim card. I'm sure there will be some kind of a block for att. If you want the Storm, why not switch to Verizon instead of ******** about it not be on att and trying to get it to work.
    11-17-08 12:56 PM
    I would be paying a buttload of money to get her out of her ATT contract. She's a great girl & I'm gunna marry her someday, but I reserve moves like that for possible future superstar girlfriends like Jessica Alba.

Also, how can you unlock only a certain sim? I thought once the phone was unlocked it is completely and totally unlocked? Can anyone chime in here?

Last edited by jdmoises27; 11-17-08 at 01:02 PM.
    11-17-08 01:00 PM
    bump for the new title...geez I thought people would be excited to hear the news!
    11-17-08 04:17 PM

OMG you so phailed Storm 101. I guess you'll be going to summer school... again.
    11-17-08 05:54 PM
    I'm sure it's written within the BIOS of the phone to pick CDMA as primary and GSM only second when CDMA is not available. I think Crucial would be best to answer.
    11-17-08 05:59 PM
    I would be paying a buttload of money to get her out of her ATT contract. She's a great girl & I'm gunna marry her someday, but I reserve moves like that for possible future superstar girlfriends like Jessica Alba.

Also, how can you unlock only a certain sim? I thought once the phone was unlocked it is completely and totally unlocked? Can anyone chime in here?

the phone is going for about 500, if you dropped att with there 200 (maybe less) cancellation fee and paid for the storm with the new contract discount you would save 50 outright and another 50 when the mir came in. in essence your not spending a "buttload" more the way you plan but its more. a funny thing though is i thought verizon wouldnt even let you buy a blackberry without a bis or bes plan
    11-17-08 06:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD