I receive my @cox.net email on my storm through BIS. Will the discontinuation of SMTP service by Verizon mean that I can no longer receive those emails? Thanks.
    07-24-09 04:58 PM
    they aren't connected. Verizon SMTP is typically used for mobile broadband connections (plug in modem to your computer, as it were) where the user is trying to setup their email service and don't know the SMTP server of their email, or it's not working correctly.

Unless you manually configured your BIS email, you should have nothing to worry about.
    07-24-09 06:10 PM
    Thanks, but what exactly do you mean by manually configured my BIS email?
    07-25-09 12:58 AM
    Bis
    Blackberry internet service

If verizon is shutting down their own smtp server it shouldn't change your @cox email.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-09 01:16 AM
    SMTP is out going mail.
    It will not affect your mail accounts in any way unless you have an outgoing mail account with them that uses mail.verizion.com as a mail server to send mail out.
    07-25-09 01:22 AM
    Thanks, but what exactly do you mean by manually configured my BIS email?
    meaning that if you entered your Cox email address, but Blackberry/RIM required more info, so you had to manually type in your incoming and outgoing email servers. The majority of email services are automatically configured. More often than not, you'll only have to manually enter those fields when you're using a lesser-known service, or your own service that you have setup somehow.
    07-25-09 10:57 AM
    SMTP is out going mail.
    It will not affect your mail accounts in any way unless you have an outgoing mail account with them that uses mail.verizion.com as a mail server to send mail out.
    2 things-

1) Verizon Wireless doesn't provide email service.
    2) the outgoing setting was actually smtp.verizon.net

your emails on your BB should be just fine. don't worry about this unless you get hit as of 08/29. and to be straight-up -- if you have to ask what it is, then it's highly doubtful that you are going to be affected.
    07-25-09 10:58 AM
    Thanks for all the info guys. Looks like I have nothing to worry about.
    07-30-09 08:34 AM
    Someone have an article about this as this is the first I've heard of it? Is Verizon just dropping their mail server offline or are they also playing around with the idea of blocking port 25 on their network as well? If they block port 25, that'll **** off a lot of people who tether for email and web.... just FYI, but BB emails remain unaffected.
    07-30-09 11:12 AM
    yeah, this is a bit old, i don't have an article but i've heard this for awhile now...

suprised you didn't read it on twitter
    07-30-09 11:22 AM
    Someone have an article about this as this is the first I've heard of it? Is Verizon just dropping their mail server offline or are they also playing around with the idea of blocking port 25 on their network as well? If they block port 25, that'll **** off a lot of people who tether for email and web.... just FYI, but BB emails remain unaffected.
    I think Verizon is doing this to stop people from tethering for free, without paying for their service. Probably to many people using tetherberry.

07-30-09 01:11 PM
    I think Verizon is doing this to stop people from tethering for free, without paying for their service. Probably to many people using tetherberry.

What does SMTP (TCP port 25) had to do with tethering for free?

The two are not related. They can block port 25 all they want, tethering will still work, you just won't be able to send email (even to 3rd party mail servers) unless you change to SSL with alternate TCP ports.
    07-30-09 01:21 PM
    yeah, this is a bit old, i don't have an article but i've heard this for awhile now...

suprised you didn't read it on twitter
    lol, didn't realize I have to be on twitter nowadays to keep up to date with current IT events.

What's next, news outlets will stop broadcasting on TV/Newspapers and require you to have twitter in order to know current events?

Besides, I don't want to have to pay for twitter.... "Penny for every letter." :KevinSpacey:
    07-30-09 01:22 PM
    Checking the SMTP headers on messages sent from my BB show that that they always originate from the Blackberry BIS server. The "From:" header in the message is one of the e-mail addresses that one gets e-mail for. When you reply to a message, it will be its address; otherwise, I think you can set a default. This is why the From: lines are totally meaningless if someone is trying to obfuscate who they are; they are just part of the message body, and can set to anything. The SMTP headers are put in by the various mail agents that have handled your message, and are (somewhat) more meaningful. BTW, "SMTP" means "Simple Mail Transfer Protocol", which is used to move e-mail on the Internet.
    Last edited by CharlesH; 08-01-09 at 01:29 AM.
    08-01-09 01:27 AM
    Using ports 80 and 465 (ssl) seem to work ok.
    04-18-10 08:38 PM
    Verizon is not dropping SMTP service, they are dropping SMTP relay, where you use Verizon's SMTP server to relay mail from another provider such as roadrunner or another ISP. You will still be able to send and receive [email protected] email.This has nothing to do with Blackberry email services.
    04-18-10 09:20 PM
    Ok. Never saw all this previously, but now my BlackBerry won't do email despite 4 hours spent with Verizon wireless people and on the phone with BlackBerry IT reps. Works fine for all other online ventures (Facebook, Google), but no email. They claim its the device, but then couldn't get my Verizon.net email to work on phone they were trying to get me to buy either! Any info out there on if they've stopped supporting BlackBerry usage for email completely now?
    01-08-14 02:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD