Has anyone had any luck as far as switching out on this?
    I'm very interested in getting the Storm, but I am not very interested in a 2 year contract.

I know the phone is like 500 bones easy, so I figure, has anyone tried doing this BOGO and managed to get their way out of it?

If this is against code of conduct forgive me, I don't see how it would be, but let me know.

I've heard you can get the phones, use em' for a month, pay, what have you, and then cancel the line, after the 30 day period you will not owe the value of the phone, you will owe the ETF, and if you say you're in an area that has poor reception you may even be able to work your way out of that too.

I heard this from a friend who worked at a VZ in my old CC store before it shut down. Like, complain the service is really subpar. They will waive the ETF on the line, I'm just curious how it will work.

Let me know.
    04-14-09 11:00 PM
    If you cancel the line, you have to return the phone.
    04-14-09 11:08 PM
    Doesn't that seem asinine?
    Or let me reprhase, is there a stipulation that I must return it in the contact?
    04-14-09 11:12 PM
    I'm due for my new every two in May. I recently purchased a Storm off craigslist for $220, I was thinking of doing the BOGO for the Storm, and then selling both of them on ebay. My wife doesn't really need a smartphone so I'll cancel the Blackberry plan on her line. The going rate for a new-in-box Storm seems to be about $300-$350 on eBay so I'd end up making about $600. Of course, I'd still have to buy a phone for her because her LG Chocolate is crap.

I believe the 2-year contract is on the phone line, and the Data Plan is a feature that can be added/removed, although if you have the # tied to a Blackberry, you cannot remove the Data Plan.
    04-14-09 11:15 PM
    Sigh, I Like my Pearl 8100 a lot, but the fact that It will not support AIM, has no GPS, and is kind of slow when running...just about anything, makes me sad.

The Storm would be hella cool, but I don't want to do a money pit with it.

It would work out as so:

Pay 100 for the phone,
    Pay ~60 for the monthly bill
    Wait for the month to end
    Cancel line due to poor coverage without ETF.

And I do have poor coverage.
    T-Mobile, ATT, Spring, and VZ all have 1 bar, 2 at most in my location, and when I go to class at my college I have 0 bars all day.

(Despite VZ claiming my area to be analog)

Another situation that could happen would be me HAVING to pay the 175 ETF, and then being out 435 + no phone.
    Last edited by Ishbar; 04-14-09 at 11:29 PM.
    04-14-09 11:26 PM
    HAHA...so this is what I did:

I just bought the storm about a month ago now, and when I bought it, I didn't need the BOGO. Then I found a friend who needed a new phone. She is on Verizon. I called the local store and asked if I could use the BOGO to get her a new phone. They said that it was ok, as long as her account was upgradeable (which it was). So I went into the store and asked them to do it. Then they said that they couldn't do it, BUT customer service could make an exception. So I called customer service, they said that they had no possible way to do it either. I tried, believe me I did. But, to no avail.

So while I was talking to the customer service guy, he gave me an idea.

What we did was we "assumed liability" of my friends line. Then added the BOGO Storm and the had line "assumed liability" back, after the storm was shipped to us and we activated it on the line. It was great.
    04-15-09 12:22 AM
    Im just trying to work my way around spending a minimal amount of dough here, that's all.

I have no intentions of sticking with VZ
    04-15-09 12:57 AM
    Wait a second, you want the phone but don't want to pay the full price? Gee, I wonder if VZW thought of this...

No free ride, everybody has paid and you need to also. You are not special.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-09 02:04 AM

(Despite VZ claiming my area to be analog)
    Um, Verizon shut off all of their analog towers like a year ago. . . .
    04-15-09 02:42 AM
    Or let me reprhase, is there a stipulation that I must return it in the contact?
    Yes, Verizon subsidizes the cost of the phone for you when you sign a 2 yr contract. If you do not return the phone when you cancel you will get the etf and have to pay retail for the phone. Seriously they have lawyers that just sit around and think of this $hit so people like you can't screw Verizon.
    04-15-09 09:54 AM
    I cancelled my line on my old dares and swithced to sprint and they never charged me. I then sold those phones. After which i hated sprint , was absolutely terrible. I pretty much called them and begged em to take me back. They did. Gave me 2 storms for 199. Paid my last due verizon bill of 160 bucks , gave me a free plantronics bluetooth headset and waved all activation fees. Verizon must love me or something.
    04-15-09 09:57 AM
    If you don't return it you'll see a nice charge in the ballpark of $539 show up on your last bill along with the $175 ETF.
    04-15-09 10:01 AM
    If you don't return it you'll see a nice charge in the ballpark of $539 show up on your last bill along with the $175 ETF.
    Didn't happen to me on my wifes line. We did the BOGO offer in February and she decided she didn't like it. Cancelled her line...paid $170 (one month in) and kept the phone.

Haven't decided if she's going to reactivate it or not...but so far...no charge for the phone and we've already got the disconnect fee.

??
    04-15-09 10:43 AM
    Didn't happen to me on my wifes line. We did the BOGO offer in February and she decided she didn't like it. Cancelled her line...paid $170 (one month in) and kept the phone.

Haven't decided if she's going to reactivate it or not...but so far...no charge for the phone and we've already got the disconnect fee.

??
    It may still show.....just a heads up.
    04-15-09 10:51 AM
    Yeah, we had some people doing this at the store i work at, and of course there was no customer care reps to be found and the managers were on lunch, so, I'm actually going to have a friend take a look at the M&P for me, that way we can have a definitive answer. In the past, people have made use of the BOGO offers and Termed early and only had to pay the ETF of 175. But things change, I'll post back when I find out!
    04-15-09 11:20 AM
    I'm not trying to give them the shaft.
    I'm trying to do this by spending the least amount of money but also not in some obscure set of steps.

I don't think I'm special, at first I thought it was just activate the account, get the phone, and you get 2 phones. (I figured the catch as a 2 year contract, and tied into a specific rate + bb service, perhaps like tethering on the one line + xxxx minutes, and Data/Email/Text) I was wrong so I'm trying to see any way around it.

(It sparked my interested one day when I went to VZ and did the bogo offer, but when I did the second phone there was NO second charge. Must've been a glitch on their part.)

I was figuring someone could sign up for it (who owns a VZ phone, maybe stopped their service, or renew.) Do the plan, get the Phones, and then switch their phone to to their old phone, (though keeping the contract active, just removing the BB service.)

I could be running into a corner again.
    04-15-09 11:59 AM
    A rep in store did the following for me. I dont know how legal it was on his part, but here we go. My girlfriend went into the store and got the storm BOGO with her ne2 discount and activated the other phone on a family shared line on her acct. immediately after activation, he cancelled the BIS on the second line and reactivated her old phone on that line and the difference in her bill is a total of $4.xx / mo. and he then handed her the other new storm in the box which went right to me.
    04-15-09 12:41 PM
    That's what I was thinking.

My bud from VZ said that an account can be opened, and then you can change the phone on the line, and keep both phones, as long as both Numbers are open it's okay.
    Last edited by Ishbar; 04-15-09 at 04:13 PM.
    04-15-09 01:09 PM
    A rep in store did the following for me. I dont know how legal it was on his part, but here we go. My girlfriend went into the store and got the storm BOGO with her ne2 discount and activated the other phone on a family shared line on her acct. immediately after activation, he cancelled the BIS on the second line and reactivated her old phone on that line and the difference in her bill is a total of $4.xx / mo. and he then handed her the other new storm in the box which went right to me.
    No that's perfectly fine as long as she does not then cancel her contract. She extended and that's all they really care about.
    04-16-09 02:50 AM
    HAHA...so this is what I did:

I just bought the storm about a month ago now, and when I bought it, I didn't need the BOGO. Then I found a friend who needed a new phone. She is on Verizon. I called the local store and asked if I could use the BOGO to get her a new phone. They said that it was ok, as long as her account was upgradeable (which it was). So I went into the store and asked them to do it. Then they said that they couldn't do it, BUT customer service could make an exception. So I called customer service, they said that they had no possible way to do it either. I tried, believe me I did. But, to no avail.

So while I was talking to the customer service guy, he gave me an idea.

What we did was we "assumed liability" of my friends line. Then added the BOGO Storm and the had line "assumed liability" back, after the storm was shipped to us and we activated it on the line. It was great.
    When you did the assumption of liability, did they change the contract end date to one year from the date the transfer was made? I actually took over my girlfriend's account, then we merged the two lines into a family share plan so we could both save some money. Funny thing was my girlfriend had just renewed her contract for another two years and when the transfer was made, VZW changed her contract end date to one year from the date of transfer. The rep told me that by law, they cannot tie the new customer (the customer that's assuming the liability, in this case me) for more than a year.

This may be a way of getting out of two year commitments.
    04-16-09 03:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD