LTE is not "4G". LTE is a third generation standard.
    What is Verizon going to use for their "4G" technology?

Or is LTE scalable/extendable?
    05-01-09 09:14 PM
    What is Verizon going to use for their "4G" technology?

Or is LTE scalable/extendable?
    LTE. I just wanted to clarify things though, that's all.
    05-01-09 09:16 PM
    Is WiMax a 4G technology or is it similar to LTE and its relation to 3G?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-09 09:19 PM
    I think I was reading somewhere that most carriers are going to eventually switch to LTE as well. Is this accurate as of now, and could it open up cross carrier compatibility?
    05-01-09 09:21 PM
    Right, but the hardware will likely not hit the market until shortly before the network is in place. The same was true before the original launch of EVDO technology. You will likely see compatible hardware start to emerge soon, i'd say it's a safe guess that the Storm 2 may be 4G capable.

(And I hope you're a female, since you're referring to someone with the screen name "Dave12308" as "dear" *LOL*) <--- Just a joke, so no offense is meant.
    Your like missing the WHOLE concept.....

n/m not gonna explain...
    05-01-09 09:24 PM
    This will be the wave of the future. That's probably why VZW is now requiring data plans on all new PDA's. People will want to use the data more. I hope it is as fast as cable broadband. I won't need anything but cable for my tv.
    05-01-09 09:30 PM
    Your like missing the WHOLE concept.....

n/m not gonna explain...
    I'm not missing anything, but your post made it sound like you were SPECIFICALLY referring to the Storm not getting an OS update, so there's no way the Storm was going to get 4G.

I understand your concept perfectly clear. If they can't get an OS to us in going on 6 months, how can they roll out a new network by 2010?

But remember, no one's started passing out flyers for a new Storm OS yet. And there's really no reason to rush. On the network side of things, if they want to stay ahead of the other providers, they need to get things up and running SOON. Don't worry, i'm sure you'll see LTE capable devices before the network launches, and then you can be pretty sure it's coming.

And remember, programming an OS is a different animal than building a network. And they're done by completely different teams of people with completely different procedures. In the case of the network upgrade, it's not likely to happen all at once, either. Select markets will get 4G, with other areas coming later. I had my shiny new EVDO Motorola E815 for 5 months before my EV indicator ever lit up.
    05-01-09 09:37 PM
    iLTE isn't a GSM based tech, it takes aspects of it, the GSM thing is what GSM users say to try to start crap over the GSM vs. CDMA war.
    LTE uses an OFDMA air interface (sort of like the WiFi air interface) and an IP back end, so it is different from both the CDMA and GSM air interfaces and their corresponding back ends. It was designed from the start to play cleanly with the GSM back end (MAP), and the CDMA providers are working on making sure that it will also play with the current CDMA back end.
    05-01-09 09:58 PM
    05-01-09 10:02 PM
    the technology doesn't even exist yet to include in the current hardware. and how would not making you pay = "getting smart"? i are confusles
    It exists. You just haven't seen it yet. Qualcomm is testing more than 5 different chipsets for LTE rollout. 3 will be high-end with their own special thing (The 3rd variety will be the most complete of all), 1 middle one for basic smartphones like LG Dare, and one low-end for low-power devices. These are all prototypes and aren't ready for the main stage yet.
    05-01-09 10:43 PM
    LTE uses an OFDMA air interface (sort of like the WiFi air interface) and an IP back end, so it is different from both the CDMA and GSM air interfaces and their corresponding back ends. It was designed from the start to play cleanly with the GSM back end (MAP), and the CDMA providers are working on making sure that it will also play with the current CDMA back end.
    It's basically like WiMAX
    05-01-09 10:46 PM
    Ok, I'll try to set the record straight.

Verizon: "3G"=EVDO
    AT&T: "3G"=HSDPA

Verizon, AT&T, and others: "4G"=LTE
    Sprint: "4G"= WiMax

The big issue currently with the networks is that they use different technologies, some are GSM, others are CDMA. When LTE comes out, every LTE phone can work on any LTE network (hopefully!) thus quelling the carrier wars, a little bit at least.

LTE is its own separate technology, and is neither GSM nor CDMA.
    05-01-09 10:48 PM
    Ok, I'll try to set the record straight.

Verizon: "3G"=EVDO
    AT&T: "3G"=HSDPA

Verizon, AT&T, and others: "4G"=LTE
    Sprint: "4G"= WiMax

The big issue currently with the networks is that they use different technologies, some are GSM, others are CDMA. When LTE comes out, every LTE phone can work on any LTE network (hopefully!) thus quelling the carrier wars, a little bit at least.
    LTE is its own separate technology, and is neither GSM nor CDMA.
    VZW is considering not having roaming agreements with AT&T. idk if there is any validity, but it is being mulled around. Idk how a roaming agreement would benefit VZW, except for fees, since they're gonna have some ridiculously larger amount of network coverage.
    05-02-09 12:51 AM
    From what I have read, the initial use of LTE will be for notebooks, netbooks, etc.... Cell phones using LTE are 2 to 3 years away.

AT & T is perfecting HSDPA and is behind Verizon in their development of their LTE network. It makes perfect business sense for Verizon not to have roaming agreements with AT & T at this time.
    05-02-09 01:02 AM
    I highly doubt that the introduction of 4g speeds will spell the end of wired broadband in the home. 802.11n networks have been out for how long now and I still prefer wired. Better reliability. I doubt home networks will go cellular any time soon even with the increased speeds. Plus even 4g doesn't come close to fiber optics.
    05-02-09 01:11 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD