Does anyone know if you are suppose to be able to use your data services while on a voice call with the Storm? I swear I read something a while ago stating that Verizon had the capabilities with the Storm like the 3G network of AT&T.
    01-02-09 01:33 PM
    1XEV is 3g
    01-02-09 01:34 PM
    That's what i thought so should I be able to send e-mails while making a voice call?
    01-02-09 01:36 PM
    as log as your 1XEVDO it all in caps, and yes Don is right. it is 3G on a CDMA network, which is what Verizon is
    01-02-09 01:36 PM
    That's what i thought so should I be able to send e-mails while making a voice call?
    No, EVDO does not support simultaneous voice & data.
    01-02-09 01:41 PM
    No, EVDO does not support simultaneous voice & data.

How so??

I would like to hear your view points on this.....

EVDO doesn't allow simultaneous voice and data, but text messages work on the voice side of things, so in theory, it should work. You can still compose then it will send after hanging up.... Texts go right thru...
    Last edited by yester18; 01-02-09 at 01:44 PM.
    01-02-09 01:42 PM
    I thought I read somewhere that the Storm was considered to be "3.5G" which 1 upped the iphone and that would be another advantage over it. I called tech support with verizon 4 times and have had 2 people tell me yes and 2 no. the 2 people that said yes couldn't tell me why i am not able to. Can you use your data service while on a voice call with the iphone?
    01-02-09 01:46 PM
    How so??

EVDO doesn't allow simultaneous voice and data, but text messages work on the voice side of things, so in theory, it should work. You can still compose then it will send after hanging up.... Texts go right thru...
    I can send/receive texts but can't use bb messenger, web browser, or email. It all goes through immediately after i disconnect my voice call.
    01-02-09 01:47 PM
    No worries, your on 3G.......
    01-02-09 01:49 PM
    It's not a 3G or 3.5G problem as to why you can't use Data and Voice at the same time...it's a CDMA thing. If you had a bold, on AT&T's 3G network, which is GSM, you'd be able to use Voice and Data simultaneously...just not on Verizon's CDMA
    01-02-09 01:57 PM

text is not data. texting is SMS, and you can send/receive SMS while on a voice call. However, EVDO does not support simultaneous voice & data, so you will not be able to send/receive email, browse the web, or do anything else that uses data while on a voice call.

It's just how it works. To do simultaneous voice & data you need to be on a service like HSPA or wait for LTE
    01-02-09 01:57 PM
    No worries, your on 3G.......
    I have the capital "X" so I am on the EVDO network.
    01-02-09 01:58 PM
    I have the capital "X" so I am on the EVDO network.
    OK, I'll say it again: EVDO is Verizon's 3G "3rd Generation" service (and arguably 3.5G). The Storm will not "display" 3G unless you're on a GSM-based network.
    01-02-09 01:59 PM
    How so??

HSPA phones have two radios in them.

1 for voice
    1 for data.

EVDO phones have one radio in them, and thus cannot be used simultaneously.
    Text is on the voice side of things.
    01-02-09 02:00 PM
    EVDO is CDMA's version of 3G/3.5G. 3G only refers to the speed, it's competitive with GSM's HSPA/HSPA+. However, EVDO does not have support for simultaneous voice and data so while on a phone call, all you can do is make other phone calls and send text messages (SMS doesn't use data, it uses a special space in the voice "pipe" used for sending control messages between the handset and the tower).

Regarding the difference between 1x, 1X, 1xev, and 1XEV, I don't know. I think 1x refers to voice-only, 1X is data but not at EVDO speed, and 1XEV is data at EVDO speed, but I'm not sure what 1xev is.
    01-02-09 02:03 PM
    OK, I'll say it again: EVDO is Verizon's 3G "3rd Generation" service (and arguably 3.5G). The Storm will not "display" 3G unless you're on a GSM-based network.
    I understand that the 3G won't be displayed on the phone. I am trying to get confirmation or information on if or when you can use data services while on a call. Can you with AT&T? Is the Storm capable of this? Is it Verizon's network that doesn't allow it?
    01-02-09 02:03 PM
    How so??

Unlike HSPA, EVDO Rev A does not allow for voice and data. You can surf the web and talk on the phone at the same time, nor can you receive emails and talk on the phone either. Which is one of the main advantages HSPA has over EVDO.
    01-02-09 02:09 PM
    text is not data. texting is SMS, and you can send/receive SMS while on a voice call. However, EVDO does not support simultaneous voice & data, so you will not be able to send/receive email, browse the web, or do anything else that uses data while on a voice call.

It's just how it works. To do simultaneous voice & data you need to be on a service like HSPA or wait for LTE

Unlike HSPA, EVDO Rev A does not allow for voice and data. You can surf the web and talk on the phone at the same time, nor can you receive emails and talk on the phone either. Which is one of the main advantages HSPA has over EVDO.

Thanks for the responses....

I always compose then let it send when I hang up.....
    01-02-09 02:09 PM
    1XEV is 3g
    Ummmm. 3G is a GSM protocol whilst EVDO is CDMA. They are more or less equivalent but not the same thing.

3G gets its name from the evolution of European mobile phones.

1G(eneration) was the old Analog network
    2G is the current GSM network that we all know and love
    3G is the 3rd Generation of GSM transmission protocol.

EVDO is part of CDMA which came into being as a single entity.

At least that is the way I understand it. Neither protocol can feed hi-speed data and voice to the same phone at the same time.
    01-02-09 02:20 PM
    Ummmm. 3G is a GSM protocol whilst EVDO is CDMA. They are more or less equivalent but not the same thing.

3G gets its name from the evolution of European mobile phones.

1G(eneration) was the old Analog network
    2G is the current GSM network that we all know and love
    3G is the 3rd Generation of GSM transmission protocol.

EVDO is part of CDMA which came into being as a single entity.

At least that is the way I understand it. Neither protocol can feed hi-speed data and voice to the same phone at the same time.
    If you have a Bold using HSPA you can talk and surf or email at the same time. HSPA allows for voice and data at the same time.
    01-02-09 02:33 PM
    If you have a Bold using HSPA you can talk and surf or email at the same time. HSPA allows for voice and data at the same time.
    well... two radios do :P
    01-02-09 02:44 PM
    Sure CX. I had always thought that HSPA was a bolt-on to 3G to make it "walk and chew gum".
    01-02-09 02:48 PM
    But... EVDO does have call sensing so while in a data session it does know when you are getting a call and allows you to switch.
    01-02-09 02:54 PM
    But... EVDO does have call sensing so while in a data session it does know when you are getting a call and allows you to switch.
    But with HSPA you don't have to "switch", you can do both, versus only one or the other.
    01-02-09 03:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD