Anyone have any advice on using the Storm as I'm traveling overseas? I know I should unlock it and get a local SIM card, but i'd like to use my same number and even text message if possible. Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-08 01:16 PM
    Make sure you contact verizon and get the SIM in your phone activated first. Then ask them for the international data roaming (unlimited) plan. That is 65 dollars a month and replaces your 45 dollar BES plan.

I believe you only get about 100 megs of data even though they call it unlimited. (I could be wrong about that)

Then ask that they give you the International Roaming discount as well. That is about 3 bucks more on your bill but will drop your roaming rates from 2 dollars a minute in most cases to about 1 dollar per minute.

International roaming is expensive even with the discount so you may want to get the phone unlocked and use a SIM overseas, although I am not sure if your email will still work that way.

Good luck!

AF
    12-11-08 01:36 PM
    Make sure you contact verizon and get the SIM in your phone activated first. Then ask them for the international data roaming (unlimited) plan. That is 65 dollars a month and replaces your 45 dollar BES plan.

I believe you only get about 100 megs of data even though they call it unlimited. (I could be wrong about that)

Then ask that they give you the International Roaming discount as well. That is about 3 bucks more on your bill but will drop your roaming rates from 2 dollars a minute in most cases to about 1 dollar per minute.

International roaming is expensive even with the discount so you may want to get the phone unlocked and use a SIM overseas, although I am not sure if your email will still work that way.

Good luck!

AF
    If I paid for their international plan, do you know if they would charge extra for text messages too?
    12-11-08 01:40 PM
    Anyone have any advice on using the Storm as I'm traveling overseas? I know I should unlock it and get a local SIM card, but i'd like to use my same number and even text message if possible.
    You can do it one of two ways.

* You can get the phone unlocked and pick up a local SIM card. This will give you a local (overseas - country you bought it in) phone number. You would probably get a better per-minute calling rate if you plan to do most of your calls to/from the country you're in.

* You can get an International calling plan (as stated by a previous poster) with Verizon. You will still have the same phone number you have now (using the SIM card that came with the phone). Most useful if you plan on making/receiving most of your calls to/from people back in the states.
    12-11-08 01:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD