This may be more of a noob post, but I've been looking around and having a hard time finding an answer to this question, so anyone that could offer advice please help!

I was with T-Mobile for a long time with the trusty old 8700 and loved it - when I traveled abroad (which is frequently enough, mostly to Europe) it worked seamlessly and was so easy. Then my company switched to Verizon, and I got the 8830. International roaming with Verizon wasn't the best or the easiest - while it worked, it was slow, hard to use, and just unreliable.

This brings me to the storm - I realize from its specs that it has the potential to be a lot more user-friendly (more frequencies) abroad - but is service abroad and the quality/ease more of a function of the frequencies of the phone, or the service provider (i.e. Verizon)?

I realize that may be a dumb question, I just wish Verizon would get more on the international track (which is obviously impossible/near impossible given them on CDMA, etc.). T-Mobile is so-so where I live (Phoenix AZ) and although I'm tempted by the Bold I always hear nightmare stories about AT&T.

Thanks for the help!
    11-15-08 10:45 AM
    This may be more of a noob post, but I've been looking around and having a hard time finding an answer to this question, so anyone that could offer advice please help!

I was with T-Mobile for a long time with the trusty old 8700 and loved it - when I traveled abroad (which is frequently enough, mostly to Europe) it worked seamlessly and was so easy. Then my company switched to Verizon, and I got the 8830. International roaming with Verizon wasn't the best or the easiest - while it worked, it was slow, hard to use, and just unreliable.

This brings me to the storm - I realize from its specs that it has the potential to be a lot more user-friendly (more frequencies) abroad - but is service abroad and the quality/ease more of a function of the frequencies of the phone, or the service provider (i.e. Verizon)?

I realize that may be a dumb question, I just wish Verizon would get more on the international track (which is obviously impossible/near impossible given them on CDMA, etc.). T-Mobile is so-so where I live (Phoenix AZ) and although I'm tempted by the Bold I always hear nightmare stories about AT&T.

Thanks for the help!

I am not sure what issues you have had with the 8830 internationally, maybe you have a bad unit. I have been living in Germany for almost 7 months with out much of an issue. I do know at first if you never upgraded the OS the original software had issues. So I am hopeful that the Storm works as good for me as the 8830 has.
    11-15-08 10:54 AM
    The Storm should work similar or better than your 8830 when roaming internationally. I have traveled with some of my suppliers to Europe and they have no issues with their 8830's on VZW, perfectly seemless for them. What issues did you have?
    11-15-08 10:55 AM
    it was slow, buggy, had to reboot a few times to get it working properly. i also had some 'sim' issues in which it said 'invalid SIM card' and 'unable to read SIM card' even though it was properly installed and working previously.

maybe it was a software issue (could very well be) or maybe it was my expectations, since when I had T-Mobile I literally turned on my 8700 and it was ready to go.
    11-15-08 10:57 AM
    sounds like a device issue, the storm and the 8830 have seamless hand offs between networks, the device will pick up the signals itself, you should possibly get it checked out, if it is that big of an issue.
    11-15-08 11:49 AM
    Sounds like an issue with the SIM card actually. A SIM card can cause instability to the device. Ask for a new SIM card...

Cheers
    11-15-08 01:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD