I was jacked when I found Nobex and realized that I could listen to my favorite AM radio shows pretty much anywhere, only way to make this complete was to connect the Storm to an AUX input on a radio, etc. so I didn't have to crank the volume on the storm and worry about damaging the speaker.

I am on storm #2 now, first one suffered and then succumbed to the known screen malfunctioning then dying issue.

On Storm #1 I had tried doing the Storm to AUX input and was not able to get it to work. I tried with a standard cable to a Dewalt radio and with a Logitech speaker dock intended for an Iphone. I found this odd as I had used my Sony MDR-V150 headphones and they worked as long as the phone was stable.

I now have Storm #2 and have not connected headphones or anything into it but I want to do the Storm to AUX thing, so I started to look into it.

I found that BB does indeed make an official adapter for this specific use model # HDW-15306-002

BlackBerry Accessories Store - Stereo Headset Adapter, 3.5mm to 2.5mm (BlackBery Pearl, Pearl 8220, Curve, Curve 8900, Bold, Storm Series)

I also found this informative site:

How to use ANY Headphones

So the other day this post came up and I wanted to share my findings:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/hea...-music-190222/

Now JRSCCivic98 said it's cool to just plug in the standard stereo headphone type adapter and with his post count I would assume he should know.

My problem is that I have searched through all the documentation that came with my phone and on the disc that came with my phone as well as the BB site and have been unable to one way or the other confirm or deny if it's OK to plug standard headphones into my Storm.
    I am a new BB user and from what I have found it seems to me that BB makes the HDW-15306-002 adapter for a reason and I don't plan on plugging in a standard headphones type plug into my new Storm.

Now just to decide on whether to get the adapter or the Bluetooth Gateway or both.....

Just thought I'd share. Your thoughts, experiences, etc. ???
    Last edited by Chokeberry; 03-29-09 at 12:15 AM.
    03-29-09 12:08 AM
    Currently listening to some Trance on FlyCast with my noise isolating earbuds without issues. Aux plugins also work. Others have done it. You can even take calls plugged into aux in the car like that.... it'll be like speakerphone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-09 12:17 AM
    I'm kind of confused. Almost all headphones come with a 3.5mm plug that plugs directly into the 3.5mm output on the phone. Also, every aux. input I've ever seen on another device (such as a stereo) is either a 3.5mm stereo plug or dual RCA inputs. So, you should need one of two things depending on your stereo's input; either a 3.5mm male to male cord or a 3.5mm stereo (male) to dual (left and right channel) male RCA plugs.

So basically, I don't see where you would need either of the adapters you linked to, nor do I honestly see where anyone else would likely need them? Maybe I'm missing something or not understanding what you need to do?
    03-29-09 12:18 AM
    I don't get it. The size is 3.5mm so why wouldn't you he able to plug other headphones with the same size into the storm?

03-29-09 12:19 AM
    Oh yeah, and it's "her" post count.

03-29-09 12:19 AM
    DUDE...
    Have you even LOOKED or even TRIED to hook up headphones to a Storm? It's the "normal" headphone jack...

I use Shures, BOSE, and Sony...

AND, I have a double male adapter to go into my cars aux. input...

Your like way lost, you need to look at the Storm.
    03-29-09 12:23 AM
    You all think that the difference between 2.5 and 3.5 means size guess what it doesn't! It means contacts. look at the plug from the ear buds that came with your phone and then a standard set of headphones. There is a difference of one contact.

JRSCCivic98: Sorry hard for me to tell when your Avatar is a male calling me an *****.
    03-29-09 12:28 AM
    Wait... mm = millimeter... But millimeter isn't a size anymore? I too use regular sony headphones on mine. No problems.

03-29-09 12:38 AM
    You all think that the difference between 2.5 and 3.5 means size guess what it doesn't! It means contacts. look at the plug from the ear buds that came with your phone and then a standard set of headphones. There is a difference of one contact.

JRSCCivic98: Sorry hard for me to tell when your Avatar is a male calling me an *****.
    Umm, no, you're wrong. 2.5mm and 3.5mm is the thickness of the plug, not the amount of contacts... or poles... short for polarity. There's 3 and 4 pole plugs. The Storm can take 3 or 4 pole 3.5mm plugs.

03-29-09 12:38 AM
    go to the store buy a "standard" set of earphones, they will work...

PERIOD.
    03-29-09 12:40 AM
    OK, Then PLEASE explain to me why BB makes the adapter and why that dude made that PDF because that seems more on the logical side to me.

BTW: I love how no one reads the full post I have used headphones people read the freakin post.
    03-29-09 12:43 AM
    No, it means size. 2.5 "mm" vs 3.5 "mm" where mm = millimeter. It's the size of the jack, and has nothing to do with contact. Don't know where you're getting your wrong info from.

3.5 mm is the standard headphone jack size, and the Storm works perfectly with headphones or 3.5 mm audio cables for auxiliary use.
    03-29-09 12:46 AM
    OK, Then PLEASE explain to me why BB makes the adapter and why that dude made that PDF because that seems more on the logical side to me.
    The jack you list is only if you use a 2.5mm headset, which do exist on the market. The one that comes with your storm is a 3.5 mm headset, and doesn't need any adapters because the Storm is also 3.5mm.
    03-29-09 12:48 AM

BTW: I love how no one reads the full post I have used headphones people read the freakin post.
    You totally lost us on them not working...
    No adapters are needed for the Storm...
    03-29-09 12:49 AM
    Ok, don't listen. I don't give a hoot. I'm jamming just fine now, so obviously I'm wrong and you're right.

03-29-09 12:51 AM
    And yes, I read your full post, but it didn't seem like you understood the difference between 2.5 mm and 3.5 mm plugs. Don't get all whiny if people try to correct you.
    03-29-09 12:51 AM
    "I don't plan on plugging in a standard headphones type plug into my new Storm."

Then why say that^?
    And if you have used regular headphones, why worry about adapters

03-29-09 12:54 AM
    No, I think I get it now! LOL
    That adapter must go to that really small size!
    I just assumed that because it didn't work with my first storm that there must have been an issue and I didn't want to hurt the new storm!
    I am sorry for my hesitance and thankful for your assurance.
    03-29-09 12:55 AM
    When all else fails, try a photo! Here ya go, from left to right: Grado stereo headphones, BlackBe4rry stereo with microphone, Sennheiser stereo headphones, and iPod/iPhone stereo headphones. As you can see they are all the same 3.5mm size. The only difference is the Blackberry set has an extra ring around it, which is the contact for the microphone. 3.5mm is considered the standard and is what almost everyone uses.
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 03-29-09 at 01:01 AM. Reason: edit
    03-29-09 12:59 AM
    Just plug in some headphones and go. Heck, the headphones in the box that come with it are 3.5mm 4 pole. The 4th pole is for the mic.

03-29-09 01:00 AM
    JRS or anyone else, this kinda applies but not really..

Wanted to no if i could use the Apple headset with Mic on my 8330 curve and not only listen to music but be able to use the Mic as well?

thanks..
    04-01-09 12:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD