I will be traveling to Thailand shortly and want to use my storm on the local AIS or preferably DTAC network... DTAC offers an unlimited EDGE/GPRS for about $30 USD... dtac.co.th/eng/package/internet_sim.html

I have the storm unlocked already and have tested it with T-Mobile and the voice plan works just fine but what worries me is that it will not connect to the internet with the T-Mobile sim card inserted...

I have read the guides on how to fix the mesenger/internet with T-Mobile or ATT sim but it seems to be specific to those networks and does not seem to apply to these overseas networks...

I am worried that when i get out there that i will have a similar problem trying to get internet working on my storm with the local providers...

Does any one know if there is anything else that i have to do to my storm to get it to work flawlessly with another overseas carriers data plan...

Thanks... =]
    Last edited by moon47usaco; 07-03-09 at 11:06 AM.
    07-03-09 11:04 AM
    TrueMove Thailand has a 250 baht a month unlimited gprs/edge plan that can be activated on prepaid sim cards. AIS has a new 30 baht a day visitor plan that will load their service books to your phone, but you don't get blackberry push mail capability. If you use a DTAC sim card all you need to is to to go into Options, Advanced Options, TCP and set the APN to "mms". If you use a TrueMove sim card you do the same but set the apn to "internet" with user name and password both set to "true". If you are a long stay visitor AIS has recently reduced BIS pricing on prepaid plans so for 850 baht a month you get 200 minutes calling (free incoming) and unlimited BIS service.
    07-13-09 10:16 AM
    So just to clarify with those three networks, my unlocked phone and the settings described i can still mobile web capabilities (browser, google-maps, etc.)... ??

And by push do you mean getting my gmail and yahoo accounts sent to my phone are not an option with the AIS day visitor plan... ?? What about with True and DTAC... ??

Thank you for all the info... =]

What is the source for your info did you have to go around to each of these providers and get setup info or do you have an internet site that you can reference...

Also what part of the country did you stay and how was the service quality... I have used DTAC and AIS in the pat but not using any data only voice and sms... I usually stay in Pattaya, Bangkok or Phetchabun areas...

Again thank you for the info i am pleased to know that i will be able to use my storm for almost everything that i need when i get out there... =]
    07-13-09 10:37 AM
    planning todo the same thing in Brazil, will it be the same for a GSM brazillian network, all i'll have todo is adjust the settings? are these settings listed above just specific to the thi carrier?
    07-13-09 10:55 AM
    I have used them all. DTAC doesn't have BIS but you can use data. It can get expensive as unlimited data is 999 baht a month. They have prepaid EDGE cards at 7-11 and Family Mart that cost 50 baht for 300 minutes of data time. AIS has the best service for BB but the prepaid plan is 30 baht a day. No BIS or RIM data. You get regular AIS Edge data. True is the best deal at 250 a month for unlimited data on any prepaid sim. It's just that True coverage can be spotty and their "Edge" is the slowest of the three carriers. But the BB usually connects for about 16 minutes an hour so time adds up quickly. On all three you can set the TCP settings so you can surf the internet. You can check gmail and google on the browser. For gmail you can also load the gmail google app which checks for new mail every 20 minutes and notifies you of new mail. Fastest Edge speed is AIS based on my personal experience. They also have the best coverage footprint in the Kingdom.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by jackbox; 07-14-09 at 02:58 AM.
    07-14-09 02:56 AM
    I was thinking of trying to change the thread title, but can't think of anything better than the OP came up with. GREAT Thread thou.
    07-14-09 09:53 AM
    just so i do not forget im posting this to note the original APN setting as "emgsm.vzw3g.com" and i am changing that to "mms"...

I went with the DTAC 999 baht a month for unlimited data... Because it was later at night when i went to the DTAC store i have to wait till open of buisness hours before the data plan can be enabled...

I will report later if all is working... =] Thank you jackbox... =]
    08-27-09 05:45 PM
    Well i got them to fix my HTC Tmobile Wing by using dtac.co.th as the apn but this does not work for the Storm... I get no connection to data other than sms...

I asked them to try to fix the Storm for data and she had to call the main office and they said the do not support this device and it might be till next year before they do so if anyone has any info on how to manually set the Service Books to get the browser working i would greatly appreciate it...

My guess is it will need to be something complicated like the tmobile service books hack...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/ho...m-95xx-106023/
    08-31-09 10:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD