I was thinking about using a generic USB charger with the Storm, but was wondering if something funky was going on. Specifically, I connected the original Blackberry USB A to micro-USB data cable by Storm and this USB charger:

Tekkeon - myCharger USB Power Adapter, MP1600

However, it took a long time for the lightning bolt icon to appear on my Storm. Also, while waiting for the bolt to appear the Storm was "frozen" and portrait/landscape rotation wouldn't work, touching home screen icons didn't light up, etc. After the bolt appeared, then the Storm resumed normal responsiveness. It was almost as if the Storm was trying to decide whether I was plugging the phone into a charger or a PC ...

I then plugged this USB charger (with my Storm connected) to a power meter, and it was only drawing 1 watt and 40 mA while the bolt icon was present.

In contrast, when I plug in the original Blackberry charger directly to the Storm, I get 6 watts and 90 mA power consumption (at the same level of battery depletion).

Has anyone else tried a generic USB charger with the Storm? If so, did you use the data cable to make the connection?
    12-30-08 11:02 PM
    sounds like you charging lvl is massivly brought down when useing generic , i would stick with OEM storm USB and the first part just sounds like the typical lock up do a battery pull and rety the generic USB
    12-30-08 11:06 PM
    I agree with sooks. I wouldnt recommend using anything but OEM. Some of those chargers are made from the cheapest parts available.
    12-30-08 11:11 PM
    The Tekkeon charger is rated for USB output of 5V @ 1000 mA, versus the BB OEM charger of 5V @ 700 mA. Also, when I use the Tekkeon with my wife's LG phone, I measure a power consumption of 4W and 80 mA.
    Last edited by Tarrant1701; 12-30-08 at 11:21 PM.
    12-30-08 11:17 PM
    yea you have to take a look at the voltage and amp rating. If they don't match up, could be trouble. Too many mA and it could over heat and damage your battery, too little, it will take forever to charge
    12-30-08 11:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD