Quick impressions:
    It's nice but not great. Using .65 software and this is what will be on tomorrow's units (I was right about that last week). Rep said there should be an update soon but had no idea about .86.

Screen is beautiful. Sure press is interesting, not sure if it ads anything to the device. I think the screen needed to be calibrated because it did not always recognize where I placed my finger.

Watching a video was great and gorgeous.

Switching from portrait to landscape was slow (about 3 seconds).

Loading crackberry was painfully slow (close to 20 seconds), disappointed in this.

Overall I will purchase this phone because I want a convergence device that lets me take this with me on the plane instead of a portable dvd player, but there is no WOW factor (IMO). This is the best touchscreen VZW has, and it will sell well, but not in any numbers close to the Iphone. It doesn't seem as polished or "glitzy" to me which is what the average consumer (non-crackberry head) wants. Also, I hope the speed will get better with future software updates but I doubt it will. Don't buy it for performance that you hope it will get in the future, but it if you're going to be happy with it now. I am and that's why I'll pick it up tomorrow.
    11-20-08 07:56 AM
    Kinda concerned at the bad you made such a bad review of the phone, yet will still stand in line to pick it up. Obviously its not that bad to you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-08 07:59 AM
    Kinda concerned at the bad you made such a bad review of the phone, yet will still stand in line to pick it up. Obviously its not that bad to you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I don't recall saying it was "bad" at all. Just pointed out some of my observations. this is a problem with fanboys, any type of criticism is taken as an insult. I like the phone, just don't think it's amazing or great, but it is better than my curve as I don't text a lot.

Also, I don't plan in standing in line, I'll go to the store while it is open and if they have one, I'll buy it, otherwise I'll order online or wait.
    11-20-08 08:07 AM
    i also used a storm about an 2 hours ago at my corp store.. its amazing all around. the only thing i noticed is when you go from port to land mode you have the storm tilted up and not laying flat. there are to accel is the phone one on the top and one on the left hand side. i watched a preview of 007 and lets just say wow . i order mine this morning through them and will have it on sat . i can waite another day if that gets me out of the cold lines here in canton ohio... just thought i would share that info . phone is great cant waite
    11-20-08 08:46 AM
    What I'm hearing on the Verizon side of things is that there will be a update available in the morning. It's going to add time to getting out the door with the device but. I'm hearing that they should either come with the update(doubtful since Verizon dropped this ball) or that they will update the device before you leave.
    11-20-08 08:53 AM
    What I'm hearing on the Verizon side of things is that there will be a update available in the morning. It's going to add time to getting out the door with the device but. I'm hearing that they should either come with the update(doubtful since Verizon dropped this ball) or that they will update the device before you leave.
    My local store (State College PA) insisted to me the other day that they will update phones on the day of release... Here's hoping...
    11-20-08 08:58 AM
    This review has me wondering if VZW will update the online orders before they ship.
    11-20-08 09:06 AM
    Sounds like Verizon should have waited to release this once they had the update installed and tested. Bad move on VZW part.
    11-20-08 09:08 AM
    The Storm seems evolutionary, not revolutionary, and I doubt it will "Take the world by Storm"
    11-20-08 09:15 AM
    Which store, on the East Coast I presume? Did they open early? Ours don't open until 9am.
    11-20-08 09:19 AM
    Quick impressions:
    It's nice but not great. Using .65 software and this is what will be on tomorrow's units (I was right about that last week). Rep said there should be an update soon but had no idea about .86.

Screen is beautiful. Sure press is interesting, not sure if it ads anything to the device. I think the screen needed to be calibrated because it did not always recognize where I placed my finger.

Watching a video was great and gorgeous.

Switching from portrait to landscape was slow (about 3 seconds).

Loading crackberry was painfully slow (close to 20 seconds), disappointed in this.

Overall I will purchase this phone because I want a convergence device that lets me take this with me on the plane instead of a portable dvd player, but there is no WOW factor (IMO). This is the best touchscreen VZW has, and it will sell well, but not in any numbers close to the Iphone. It doesn't seem as polished or "glitzy" to me which is what the average consumer (non-crackberry head) wants. Also, I hope the speed will get better with future software updates but I doubt it will. Don't buy it for performance that you hope it will get in the future, but it if you're going to be happy with it now. I am and that's why I'll pick it up tomorrow.
    New Blackberry missing magic touch -- chicagotribune.com

Chicago tribune agrees.....also, I said previously that they should have left the track ball there along with touch screen....
    11-20-08 09:22 AM
    CX do you know what version that will be?
    11-20-08 09:24 AM
    Sounds like Verizon should have waited to release this once they had the update installed and tested. Bad move on VZW part.
    Hilarious... (not you in particluar... just people in general...)
    "I want it now" "I don't care if it's buggy" " Why won't they hurry up and release it" "Verizon really let us down by not getting this out sooner" "the 'newness factor' has already worn off for me" etc... etc...
    11-20-08 09:30 AM
    No way would VZW not launch this phone before the holiday season kickoff. Hopefully the rumor about an update being available tomorrow is true.
    11-20-08 09:36 AM
    everyone was griping (including myself) about the wait. still, i dont care what issues the phone has. i will overcome them and wait for the updates. if its too bad i will swap it within 30 days. everyone needs to stop worrying about it when you havent even touched the final release.
    11-20-08 09:36 AM
    New Blackberry missing magic touch -- chicagotribune.com

Chicago tribune agrees.....also, I said previously that they should have left the track ball there along with touch screen....
    Ahh!!! I'm not the only one that wanted the trackball!
    11-20-08 09:37 AM
    I just want to walk in the store when they open and leave with the phone b4 a 4 hr trip. "sigh"
    11-20-08 09:45 AM
    I tried one out about 2 hours ago. I agree with you on the amazing vidoe quality. When I first picked it up there were problems with portrait to landscape but when I went back to it it was quick. I ordered mine it will be delivered.
    11-20-08 09:58 AM
    I don't even want to think about how long we will be in the store if VZW is trying to do an update in the store for the newest version.
    11-20-08 10:23 AM
    My store told me about the instore update earlier this week. They said it will take roughly 25 minutes to do the update. They also said that they can start on the update while you are filing out all the paperwork so the wait time seems less. I'm just worried about the amount of Storms the store will get. There are 5 corp stores in my city and none of them are giving me an idea as to how many they will have on hand.
    11-20-08 10:38 AM
    Can we just tell the store that we'll do the update at home. I don't want to be at a store for a long time.
    11-20-08 11:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD