hello i am considering purchasing a storm, i would like it to replace my ipod. what do all of you think of the audio quality via headphone? do any of you use it to listen to mp3s in your car? if so how do you like it? please post your honest opinions!
    05-04-09 08:28 AM
    I use my Storm as an .mp3 player, both with headphones and in my car. I also used Pandora and Slacker instead of the radio on road trips. So far, I have had no issues with sound quality (I also use high-quality .mp3 files). In fact, when my wife and I drove down to Florida and back, we used Slacker for 95% of the drive.
    05-04-09 08:31 AM
    I keep my 160gb ipod, the storm does not hold enough content.
    05-04-09 08:58 AM
    I have not had any issues using the Storm for a media player. Like mentioned above, I use a mix of my personal MP3's and Slacker Radio here at the office sometimes or in the car.

I still use my iPod though when doing yard work outside or exercise. I would much rather accidentially drop my iPod instead of my phone.
    05-04-09 09:31 AM
    Only negative is my that when listining to MP3's and watching movies, it drains my battery a little more than I would like. I usually only use the storm as a media player while commuting to and from work which is about an hour each way and I have a charger at work so not a big deal. I upgraded to a 16gb card and that is more than enough room for my music.
    05-04-09 09:35 AM
    You sure can use the Storm as a music player.

-As long as you don't want to listen to more than 999 mp3s
    -As long as you don't mind the volume being too high on the lowest setting (in a quiet office)
    -As long as you don't mind SD card errors where nothing will play
    -As long as you don't mind your Storm lagging and resetting when you try to play music
    -As long as you don't try to manage your Storm music on a Mac

Can you see I have plenty of problems with music on my Storm? That firmware upgrade couldn't come soon enough..... If it weren't for Slacker & my stereo BT headset, I probably would have thrown my BB out the window by now.
    05-04-09 09:35 AM
    I prefer to keep my main media player and my phone separate. But it is just a personal preference for me.
    05-04-09 09:44 AM

-As long as you don't mind the volume being too high on the lowest setting (in a quiet office)
    -As long as you don't mind your Storm lagging and resetting when you try to play music

Can you see I have plenty of problems with music on my Storm? That firmware upgrade couldn't come soon enough..... If it weren't for Slacker & my stereo BT headset, I probably would have thrown my BB out the window by now.
    Jeez, you've got some problems with your Storm. I don't have any problems using my Storm as my only media player. I use it as a music player and watch TV on it using SlingBox. I have no problems. My battery does get used up faster when I use it as a media player, but that is to be expected. Just charge it a little more often.
    05-04-09 09:46 AM

Umm drag and drop artists into their own folders, it doesn't get much more simple.... I manually manage my music....
    05-04-09 09:47 AM
    I got a 16gb card, formatted it will be about 14gb and some change. I haven't moved a lot of my music over to it yet. Just my newly ripped cd's. It works fine as a media player. I really don't use it to play video, something to do with having a nice home theater setup @ home. I'd rather wait and watch it at home.

I bought NuForce NE-7m head phones they have superb sound. Lows, mid and bass. You don't have to turn the player to the highest setting because it sounds great even at low settings. They are only 50 bucks and worth every penny.

I guess the only draw back is you will have to have a couple of cards if you have a ton of music and movies. You could sort your media cards by genre possibly. I have less than 20gb of music so the 16gb is fine for me at the moment.
    05-04-09 09:48 AM
    I commute by transit and listen to music / watch videos on my Storm for at least 4 hours a day...

Yea it's hard to stand up to an mp3 player w/ a 160 Gig HDD, but the Storm does just fine as my primary music player... Can usually last until I get home from work on one charge, but i normally charge it when i get to work.
    05-04-09 09:55 AM
    My storm = My Ipod (Since I don't have an IPOD)

LOL
    05-04-09 10:20 AM
    Pet Peeve: iPod is NOT synonymous with MP3 player/media player, mp3 players existed before the iPod and there are much better ones out there than the iPod.

Anyway, I listen to music on the Storm all the time. I've heard some people complain about it but I've had no problems with it; I do wish that the equalizer worked with BT headphones but oh well. With wired headphones the audio sounds pretty good, I plug it into my car's AUX input plenty.
    05-04-09 10:27 AM
    I have enjoyed my storms audio just fine, in the car and with headphones. Not sure what pod you are wanting to replace but my boy has the touch and the only thing I like better about it is the quality of youtube videos

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-09 10:35 AM
    Umm drag and drop artists into their own folders, it doesn't get much more simple.... I manually manage my music....
    Yeah, it doesn't matter if I drag & drop or use the Media Sync software, it will only recognize around 1000 songs, even though I have 1400 that I'm trying to move over. All normal mp3s, no DRM music. They all physically show up on the card, but the media player won't recognize all of them. Resets/card pulls/card wipes & restart from fresh: nothing works. And it's always different songs that won't show up.
    05-04-09 10:36 AM

yiked dude, i've encountered none of those problems. Storm plays music flawlessly for me.

Yeah, it doesn't matter if I drag & drop or use the Media Sync software, it will only recognize around 1000 songs, even though I have 1400 that I'm trying to move over. All normal mp3s, no DRM music. They all physically show up on the card, but the media player won't recognize all of them. Resets/card pulls/card wipes & restart from fresh: nothing works. And it's always different songs that won't show up.

Try using winamp, that's what I use. Brings the album art and all...and that's on top of winamp being a great media player to have on your PC anyway. Milkdrop > everything else
    05-04-09 10:42 AM
    yiked dude, i've encountered none of those problems. Storm plays music flawlessly for me.

Try using winamp, that's what I use. Brings the album art and all...and that's on top of winamp being a great media player to have on your PC anyway. Milkdrop > everything else
    Thanks- But I won't install Windows on my Mac just to manage music on my phone. It shouldn't be that difficult. It doesn't really bother me about the song limit as much. I can manage another, smaller playlist for the Storm. It's just all the other issues that make me pull my hair out.
    05-04-09 10:48 AM

then your songs are corrupted or being corrupted on the transfer. Maybe your card is bad.

Thanks- But I won't install Windows on my Mac just to manage music on my phone. It shouldn't be that difficult. It doesn't really bother me about the song limit as much. I can manage another, smaller playlist for the Storm. It's just all the other issues that make me pull my hair out.
    There are 3 different applications to get your music to your storm.

Pocketmac - which sucks IMO
    Media Manager - From Blackberry - works ok - but no video transfer and very slow - retains your itunes playlists
    Doubletwist - the best one - does video and audiio - but are updating to retain playlists.

All of these are free and do NOT require Windows. We have to start doing more research. Don't settle for what blackberry does or does not give you.
    Last edited by citi; 05-04-09 at 10:56 AM.
    05-04-09 10:52 AM
    I commute by transit and listen to music / watch videos on my Storm for at least 4 hours a day...

Yea it's hard to stand up to an mp3 player w/ a 160 Gig HDD, but the Storm does just fine as my primary music player... Can usually last until I get home from work on one charge, but i normally charge it when i get to work.
    I commute by plane...5 to 8 hours at a time. Storm is not the tool I need
    But I love it as my BB.
    05-04-09 11:01 AM
    Milkdrop > everything else
    +1

Milkdrop is the greatest visualizer!!
    05-04-09 11:13 AM
    then your songs are corrupted or being corrupted on the transfer. Maybe your card is bad.

There are 3 different applications to get your music to your storm.

Pocketmac - which sucks IMO
    Media Manager - From Blackberry - works ok - but no video transfer and very slow - retains your itunes playlists
    Doubletwist - the best one - does video and audiio - but are updating to retain playlists.

All of these are free and do NOT require Windows. We have to start doing more research. Don't settle for what blackberry does or does not give you.

Thanks- Tried 2 out of those 3, but the issue is either the media player, or like you said, the card. However, It's not my biggest problem right now. I'd like the constant resetting and delay/lag taken care of first. Then I'll focus on the music issues.
    05-04-09 11:15 AM
    Maybe your just out of room?
    05-04-09 11:18 AM
    Maybe your just out of room?
    7.3GB Total Space
    2.9GB Free Space

Thanks though!
    05-04-09 11:21 AM
    The Storm plays Music well enough for me to justify not carrying around an additional music playing device. I dont like a bunch of crap in my pockets. I carry my phone with me everywhere I go and if i want to listen to some music wherever I am, I can always do that.
    It is not a nice of a music player as an Ipod but It is not that far behind it either.
    05-04-09 11:25 AM
    I would keep your ipod. I had the storm and the mp3s volume would go up and down while listening to mp3s. I mean the storm is a terrible device for almost everthing though. i wanted to love it but the phone is like an unwanted child.
    05-04-09 11:27 AM
105 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD