Today I think I managed to brick my Storm 9500 during the upgrade to .90

During the upgrade process the App Loader came back with an error saying "Failed to upgrade during multi-stage load" (or something similar)

No sweat I thought, I will just take the battery out, wait a few mins, put it back in and reload via AppLoader (using the usual BlackBerry 101 Lecture technique)

Problem is that the phone constantly reboots. The only error message I get is on the white flash screen and it says "Unable to create" and reboots.

JL commander wont recognise it either so I cant wipe or reset to factory

I am using Windows Vista DM 4.7 and have upgraded many times before.

Anybody got any suggestions?
    Last edited by nmonger; 01-22-09 at 12:27 PM.
    01-22-09 03:50 AM
    Perhaps I'm wrong - but isn't the .90 version intended for the 9530? (not the GSM version)
    01-22-09 04:11 AM
    Perhaps I'm wrong - but isn't the .90 version intended for the 9530? (not the GSM version)
    Hi - there are two versions...one for the 9500 and the other for the 9530. The one I tried to install was definately for the 9500.

I dont want to start a panick on the .90 release. I dont think that has anything to do with my issue. I assume the issue is more down to a potential problem with my laptop or USB cable that corrupted the install procedure.
    Last edited by nmonger; 01-22-09 at 04:27 AM.
    01-22-09 04:13 AM
    Today I think I managed to brick my Storm 9500 during the upgrade to .90

During the upgrade process the App Loader came back with an error saying "Failed to upgrade during multi-stage load" (or something similar)

No sweat I thought, I will just take the battery out, wait a few mins, put it back in and reload via AppLoader (using the usual BlackBerry 101 Lecture technique)

Problem is that the phone constantly reboots. The only error message I get is on the white flash screen and it says "Unable to create" and reboots.

JL commander wont recognise it either so I cant wipe or reset to factory

I am using Windows Vista DM 4.7 and have upgraded many times before.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Me too Any help out there?
    01-22-09 04:37 AM
    downgrade OS
    01-22-09 04:52 AM
    downgrade OS
    Hi Sasa66, do you mean uninstall the .90 from the PC, re-install an earlier version and then try apploader again?
    01-22-09 04:59 AM
    Hi Sasa66, do you mean uninstall the .90 from the PC, re-install an earlier version and then try apploader again?
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! dont know why I didnt try that. Yes, it now works again.

Much appreciated and great 1st post!
    01-22-09 05:13 AM
    hey there
    exact same thing happened to me. downgrading back to v87 worked but no matter what i do v90 won't install at all. i guess v90 aint gonna happen for for some 9500 users. If for some reason your able to upgrade to v.90 please let me know what you did.
    thanks
    01-22-09 07:33 AM
    Hi - there are two versions...one for the 9500 and the other for the 9530.
    Thanks for pointing this out to me - I just installed it following a guide I found on a German website: benezblog - the blackberry ninja � Blog Archive � How To: Firmware aufspielen mit vorhergehendem Wipe

worked like a charm. To sum it up: you need to use MCP to wipe the handheld befor installing in order to avoid problems

peter
    Last edited by kis; 01-22-09 at 09:30 AM.
    01-22-09 09:20 AM
    Thanks for pointing this out to me - I just installed it following a guide I found on a German website: benezblog - the blackberry ninja � Blog Archive � How To: Firmware aufspielen mit vorhergehendem Wipe

worked like a charm. To sum it: you need to use MCP to wipe the handheld befor installing in order to avoid problems

peter
    Does this fix the Unable to Create error message and device reboots?
    01-22-09 09:28 AM
    I've played with it for about half an hour and am now downloading 4.7.0.78 again.

What I could tell:

- the OS WAS quick right after installation. After adding some apps (SplashID and Documents to Go Premium) it came to a grinding halt - and wouldn't speed up again even after two battery pulls

- I got communications errors when trying to sync SplashID. DM also wouldn't restore the backup I had previously done (again, communications error)

On the (very) positive side: the signal bar issue was FIXED! So this was, as most suspected, a firmware issue that will be gone with the next update. Very nice.

Anyway, for now it's back to stable

peter
    01-22-09 10:03 AM
    just wanted to tell you that it took me 4 hours to get the 9500 unbricked after trying to downgrade to 0.78 again. I couldn't do it on Vista - apparently the drivers prevented it from reconnecting properly. Had to use my MSI Wind with XP on.
    01-22-09 11:33 AM
    I can downgrade. But I want to have .90 running. Tried MCP also. Nothing works.
    ((

Anybody any suggestions?

Windows Vista 32bit
    Storm 9500
    01-22-09 12:17 PM
    I am sooo gutted that I cant upgrade to .90 and it seems so strange that only a few people get this weird problem.

Lets dedicate this thread to finding out what could be causing it.

some details on my setup

simunlocked
    Connected to Vodafone DE network
    Built in Mexico
    Enteprise edition
    Has a 8GB micro SD (have tried to install with and without card)
    Windows Vista Business (32bit)
    Desktop Manager 4.7
    01-22-09 12:26 PM
    yep this happened to me too this morning. Updated it with Vista and came up with the same errors. Also couldn't use Apploader nor wiping it with the JC doodah.

Installed XP as another partition on my lappy, stuck on DM with .78 on it, and Apploader rollback worked first time, thankfully.

Think i'll stay well away from .90...
    01-22-09 12:32 PM
    Does anyone have this reboot problem and is using Windows XP to install the .90 OS?

Am just thinking that maybe Vista is causing the problem??
    01-22-09 12:39 PM
    I Can actually confirm that i've had the same problem when installing it on Windows XP as well.

Maybe it's just not meant to be. *sigh*
    01-22-09 01:00 PM
    simunlocked
    Connected to Vodafone DE network
    Built in Mexico
    Enteprise edition
    Has a 8GB micro SD (have tried to install with and without card)
    Windows Vista Business (32bit)
    Desktop Manager 4.7
    Mine's also a Vodafone DE device but running on Orange Switzerland. Built in Hungary, not in Mexico - but I seriously doubt that makes any difference.
    Apart from that: Vista Home Premium 32, DM 4.7, 8gb micro SD card - all the same.

no idea why it won't install - but to be honest, I'd really advice staying away from this beta build right now. After I managed to unbrick it under XP, it would behave strangely - reboots, loss of signal, DM connection not working correctly anymore. I had to do another wipe and after that a re-installation of 0.78 to fix the issues. I think that 4.7.0.90 messes with the modem firmware - seems to be quite hard to get rid of those patches again.

peter
    Last edited by kis; 01-22-09 at 02:58 PM.
    01-22-09 02:55 PM
    Does anyone have this reboot problem and is using Windows XP to install the .90 OS?

Am just thinking that maybe Vista is causing the problem??

Vista is definitely a factor here - I couldn't restore the device under Vista, no matter what I tried. Vista constantly loads the drivers again when the device reconnects, perhaps that's the problem?
    01-22-09 02:57 PM
    Hi! Pleae help me someone!!
    after the upgrade, BB keeps rebooting.. Doesn't stay up long enough for the apploader to wokr.
    Tried using the JM_CMDER and apploader wiht the /nojvm switch to re-load .90 and .87
    NO luck!! Any thing else I can try? nurmerous battery pulls.. Getting desperate now!
    Thanks all!
    01-22-09 03:02 PM
    Okay, I�ll try to fix. Few hours ago Itried updating by Vista, now I�ll try XP.
    01-22-09 03:02 PM
    Hey Paul.

Delete .90 in your PC-System. Then open DM again. Install .87 or whatever you had. Open DM and AppLoader. Then try to connect your BB, remember, you only have a few seconds in every reboot-sequence, when your PC is able to connect. Then install .87 on your Storm. Done.
    01-22-09 03:09 PM
    Thanks No. Name but it keeps rebooting during the process.. Any tips on how to stop it doing so?
    01-22-09 03:30 PM
    Have your PC connect to your BB, doesn�t matter wich PIN?
    01-22-09 03:41 PM
    use official OS next time. no need to rush into this crap like every other thread... its amazing how impatient people are lol!!
    01-22-09 03:41 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD