Can I do this, or should I downgrade first then upgrade to Verizon's .148. By the way, what if the full-title version name from Verizon? My Desktop Manager software lists two .148's and both say "(current)" but one of them reads 4.7.0.203. Is the 203 the one to go with?
    05-31-09 04:59 PM
    There's no reason to do it at all. Leaked .148 is the exact same thing as official .148 (hence the same numbers).

Although I did hear if you delete all backup files from your computer and wipe your device without backing anything up and then proceed to install the official .148 you will get flick scrolling.
    05-31-09 05:00 PM
    There's no reason to do it at all. Leaked .148 is the exact same thing as official .148 (hence the same numbers).

Although I did hear if you delete all backup files from your computer and wipe your device without backing anything up and then proceed to install the official .148 you will get flick scrolling.
    That last bit was really unnecessary.

To the OP, there's no difference between the leak and the official. However, if you really feel it's necessary, you will need to uninstall the 148 leak from your computer, downgrade your phone to a pre- .148 build, then proceed to the Blackberry page to install the "Official" version. Don't think it's worth the trouble myself.
    05-31-09 05:05 PM
    Can I do this, or should I downgrade first then upgrade to Verizon's .148. By the way, what if the full-title version name from Verizon? My Desktop Manager software lists two .148's and both say "(current)" but one of them reads 4.7.0.203. Is the 203 the one to go with?
    Ok, let me explain this to you... A RIM OS has three version numbers:

Software - Platform - Package

Software is the software part of the OS, all the SMS apps, phone apps and everything.

Platform is the equivalent of the "drivers" in Windows. That's what is in charge of communicating with the hardware. It is also commonly called radio file here but it is also in charge of the display and sound.

Package is, well, software and platform.

Software has it's own version number (in this case, 4.7.0.148)
    Platform has it's own version number (4.0.0.181)

Package is a number that gets incremented everytime RIM decides to put a software + platform together for testing. In this case, it is 4.7.0.203.

Both the leaked and the official have the same package version, therefore they are identical.
    05-31-09 05:06 PM
    Hypothetically speaking, phones running leaked OS can suffer warranty issues, so the advantage to upgrading to an official would be your documentation that you have a sanctioned copy (obtained through official means)

THIS, is why, at least in theory, it would make sense to upgrade to the VZW release.
    05-31-09 05:12 PM
    Hypothetically speaking, phones running leaked OS can suffer warranty issues, so the advantage to upgrading to an official would be your documentation that you have a sanctioned copy (obtained through official means)

THIS, is why, at least in theory, it would make sense to upgrade to the VZW release.
    not true at all.. there is nothing different from the leacked version to the official... nothing at all
    05-31-09 05:14 PM
    not true at all.. there is nothing different from the leacked version to the official... nothing at all
    Alright. Please re-read. DOCUMENTATION. i.e. proof it was downloaded from a official source. If you have ever had warranty issues with anything it is a no brainer that it makes sense to have an official paper trail.

LET ME REITERATE: EVERYONE KNOWS THEY ARE THE SAME.

Did you download the leaks directly from Verizon or blackberry? or did they come from another site that someone put up hosting the leak?
    05-31-09 05:18 PM
    How does the fact that I deleted the vendor.xml file when I installed the leaked version factor in?
    05-31-09 05:19 PM
    That is true if you are going from a leaked .148 to an official .148 there is no difference what so ever, but since the OP didn't say if they were running a hybrid which I doubt they are. There is no reason to upgrade to the official os. If you are running a hybrid os and want to goto an official os than you would have to downgrade to an older os than upgrade to the official. Also yes running a leaked os can void a warranty if you have to do an exchange and don't downgrade your os to the carriers latest official os. Of course this is after you have uninstalled every os but the one you want to work with and have deleted the vendor file before you even think of connecting your BB to the pc.
    05-31-09 05:25 PM
    How does the fact that I deleted the vendor.xml file when I installed the leaked version factor in?
    More importantly, on what planet would it make sense for Verizon to waste their time trying to prove that you got .148 from Crackberry and not the BlackBerry website? If you are using a version that Verizon released as official then it won't matter where you got it. If you are using a version that isn't released as official, downgrade before you take it to Verizon. Problem solved.
    05-31-09 05:28 PM
    i dunno about you guys but im ready for the next leak.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 05:28 PM
    Are you guys completely sure that there is absolutely NO difference between the leak and the official?

...I ask because I was bored today and went form .148 leaked to the .148 "offical" via download manager and my free memory on the leaked always started at 35 and went down to 20 and now my free memory starts at 45 and hovers between 41 and 44.
    05-31-09 05:30 PM
    Are you guys completely sure that there is absolutely NO difference between the leak and the official?

...I ask because I was bored today and went form .148 leaked to the .148 "offical" via download manager and my free memory on the leaked always started at 35 and went down to 20 and now my free memory starts at 45 and hovers between 41 and 44.
    yup its positive, there is no difference what so ever between the leaked version we got 2 weeks ago from what verizon has out now, nothing at all. 148 is 148.
    05-31-09 05:33 PM
    yup its positive, there is no difference what so ever between the leaked version we got 2 weeks ago from what verizon has out now, nothing at all. 148 is 148.
    With that said, what explains the difference in free memory? Should I expect the free memory to go back to what it was doing after the reinstalled os has been running for a day or so?
    05-31-09 05:41 PM
    If people read through the forums they would know that there is NO difference between the leaked .148 and the official. If you notice any difference it is because EACH OS install is different, even when its the same OS. Maybe a file got corrupt with an earlier install.Who knows but bottom line is there is NO difference.

05-31-09 05:54 PM
    i dunno about you guys but im ready for the next leak.

Amen brother (or sister, or whatever you prefer)!!! AMEN!
    05-31-09 05:57 PM
    With that said, what explains the difference in free memory? Should I expect the free memory to go back to what it was doing after the reinstalled os has been running for a day or so?
    Are you sure all of your previous 3rd party applications were restored during the upgrade?
    05-31-09 06:06 PM
    Alright. Please re-read. DOCUMENTATION. i.e. proof it was downloaded from a official source. If you have ever had warranty issues with anything it is a no brainer that it makes sense to have an official paper trail.

Did you download the leaks directly from Verizon or blackberry? or did they come from another site that someone put up hosting the leak?
    I had dust under my screen and I called them and got a refurbished phone and sent mines back. I sent it back with a LEAKED OS with no problems whatsoever.
    05-31-09 06:16 PM

You sir are in fact still wrong. Official is official regardless where it was downloaded.

05-31-09 06:17 PM
    More importantly, on what planet would it make sense for Verizon to waste their time trying to prove that you got .148 from Crackberry and not the BlackBerry website? If you are using a version that Verizon released as official then it won't matter where you got it. If you are using a version that isn't released as official, downgrade before you take it to Verizon. Problem solved.
    +1

Returns
    I have personally returned 2 Storms with OS's versions above .75 before .148 was entering technical acceptance. My co-worker also returned a Storm with an OS above .75. No questions asked, no problems.

Differences between Leaked and Official
    There isn't any. If you're getting more memory at boot up it's most likely because 3rd party apps haven't cached anything yet. Give things a few days to "settle" and data will get cached and memory will go down. Overall, I think .148 is a solid build. BUT... I'll definitely be pushing the next leak onto my phone when it comes out.

Warranty Issues:
    Why would you return your Storm? You can't fix your OS on your own?? Noobers

Facts of Life
    Verizon knows they jumped the gun releasing this device before the OS was developed... As mentioned above, they're not going to waste the time and money to prove someone installed .148 from a leaked source or from an official source. The cost to prove this would be well over the FULL RETAIL COST of the Storm, not to mention, FAR EXCEEDS VZW's COST of the phone.

This is for the same reason credit card companies don't pursue cc theifs who charge less than $1000 dollars on someone else's credit card. Their employees wages wasted hunting down petty thieves costs them more than it does to just fork over the $1000 to the original card holder.

Just think... investigators, laywers, techhnical support staff... add up all their wages that they'd spend dealing with such a petty issue. Then think "cost effectiveness" like all business professionals are trained to do. Logical? Yes.
    05-31-09 06:24 PM
    Guys. let it drop. Here's the official response again!

4.7.0.148 is 4.7.0.148 regardless where you downloaded it. Leaked .148 is identical to the VZW delivery by the time it is loaded to your phone even if the original download filename is a little different (anyone remember the Rename command?). It's the same build from RIM, there is only one .148 anywhere in the world. The leaks started with an escape from Verizon, and the "official release" has the same files but now somebody at VZW signed a document to say it has official support.
    05-31-09 06:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD