Hey all, soon to be first time Blackberry user here (Getting the storm in 5 days come Christmas time). My only concern is that I'm a die hard texter, and in my test texts with the storm I have been able to hold my own with it but experienced some problems as other have. However, I just wrote it off as me not being used to it and have been sure that in the coming weeks I would increase speed and decrease mistakes when it comes to texting and e-mailing.

Have you earlier storm users gotten faster texting capabilities/less mistakes now that you use your storm frequently? Or are some people still stuck at the level they were when they tried it. A friend of mine has an Iphone and I suck at typing on it, yet he is surprisingly quick with texting on the touch screen considering hes had it for such a long time. Thanks for your insight!
    12-20-08 02:00 PM
    I have had it since release day and I can fly now. I am fast on landsacpe and portrait mode. Once you get some time into it you can motor.
    12-20-08 02:03 PM
    Yes my mistakes have gone down exponentially. W/ sure-type it might not recognize certain "slang" words but there's a custom dictionary you can add your words too, which is very easy.

I put out about 600 texts a day and it is very easy now once im use to it. There is a small learning curve, but once you get use to it, its easy and very very quick.

Hope that helps

edit: not a fan of landscape mode unless typing in a URL on the browser. the sure-type is just way faster than landscape
    12-20-08 02:03 PM
    Kinda. Its faster but never as fast as wth a physocallkeyboe. And of course I have random mistakes like that. The blue light never keeps up so it can be intimidating. Overall. Just takes some getting used to. Remember to press the spacebar.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-08 02:08 PM
    Yes my mistakes have gone down exponentially. W/ sure-type it might not recognize certain "slang" words but there's a custom dictionary you can add your words too, which is very easy.

I put out about 600 texts a day and it is very easy now once im use to it. There is a small learning curve, but once you get use to it, its easy and very very quick.

Hope that helps

edit: not a fan of landscape mode unless typing in a URL on the browser. the sure-type is just way faster than landscape
    I've never really used the whole predictive text on my phones because I've mostly had QWERTY keyboards, so while I'm sure I'll use portrait mode, I prefer landscape mode. I guess It's just a matter of using both of them a lot. I've been waiting for videos on youtube or something of people texting fast on the storm similar to the videos they have of iphone speed texting, but no one has posted any yet
    12-20-08 02:08 PM
    I just got the phone two days ago and I am getting used to it. You get faster the more you use it.
    12-20-08 02:18 PM
    I just got the phone two days ago and I am getting used to it. You get faster the more you use it.
    Yeah I got the phone on 12/17/08 and have gotten fairly fast on the Suretype. Still a little slow on the QWERTY and make some mistakes.

I didn't think that I would like the Suretype because of what I have heard from Pearl users but I love it.

This coming from a 1st time BB owner as well.
    12-20-08 02:24 PM
    Took a few days to get the hang of it, now I can type away like a fiend on that thing....and better yet, I finally have some software on the phone that can keep up....always a plus.
    12-20-08 02:24 PM
    Adjusting to this is like adjusting from one laptop keyboard to another. If you have no issues with that then you will have no issues with this. If you are only use to one style keyboard or keypad then you may have a learning curve and adjustment period to deal with. But like everything else it was come to you in time.

Congrats on getting the storm and I know you will enjoy it. Specially since you prolly have been reading everything you can on it and already have a list of things you are going to do to it!
    12-20-08 02:26 PM
    i text in the suretype mode alot now. I have gotten very used to it. and am really quick
    12-20-08 02:26 PM
    The one thing that really keeps me from liking typing on it is not being able to go back in the middle of a sentence (reliably) and correct a word. I tend to have to erase everything after that point. With WM I could put the cursor right where I wanted it or even highlight the unwanted word...
    12-20-08 02:30 PM
    I am definitely making a lot less mistakes, even though when I do make one, I usually don't correct it. But in landscape, I am still getting used to it. It sucks having fat fingers! UGH!
    12-20-08 02:35 PM
    I have never owned a phone without a full QWERTY keyboard and never thought I would. That said, I have STILL fallen in love with SureType.

Texting is NO PROBLEM for me on the phone!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-08 02:38 PM
    I just tried the "iPhone speed test" found . You type "I know a great place a couple blocks away. I will make a reservation for three."

iPhone guy hits it at 23 seconds, I'm at about 17 with the BlackBerry, I surprised even myself. That's also being pretty conservative, if I wasn't afraid of mistakes I could prolly get it a bit faster.

P.S. I only use Landscape mode.
    12-20-08 02:40 PM
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I feel a lot more comfortable with trying out the Storm now. I'm confident It'll work how I want it to with enough practice.
    12-20-08 02:49 PM
    I like it. t was more difficult at first when I didn't know some of the keyboard shortcuts likeing holding a letter to capitalize, holding the number key to number lock, and how to move the cursor well.

I'm not as fast as I was on my 8830, but am getting better quickly.
    12-20-08 02:51 PM
    I came from a Curve and a Moto Q before that, both with real QWERTY keyboards. My wife has a Pearl with a SureType keyboard and I never really could figure it out well when I used her phone on occasion. That being said, on my Storm, now had it for 2 weeks, I've found the SureType in portrait mode to be very efficient and easy to use for quick texts. Landscape mode is still slower than on my curve, but I'm getting better all the time. I use the SureType when possible right now, and switc to Landscape for proper nouns and web addresses. So far, I miss my real keyboard a bit, but not a lot, and I love everything else about the Storm. I am eagerly awaiting the official OTA relese of the next update to speed it up a bit and hopefully help battery life too.
    12-20-08 02:56 PM
    I like it. t was more difficult at first when I didn't know some of the keyboard shortcuts likeing holding a letter to capitalize, holding the number key to number lock, and how to move the cursor well.

I'm not as fast as I was on my 8830, but am getting better quickly.
    I have an ENV right now and I can type lightning quick on that. I know some speed will be lost in result of getting a touch screen keyboard but I'm sure those shortcuts will make it a lot easier
    12-20-08 02:57 PM
    Something i've found to be nice, is switching mid-text, the short ones, suretype, flip the phone mid-text and finish with qwerty. It's the little things in life I tell ya.
    12-20-08 03:00 PM
    Rather than posting another thread and wasting space, I'll just ask it here. Does the new update on the blackberry site fix the problem with lagging blue light when texting and lagging/freezing from switching to landscape mode and portrait mode?
    12-20-08 03:24 PM
    I am as fast as on my Curve now.
    12-20-08 03:26 PM
    I can type so friggin fast, and I've had mine for a week. I noticed that turning up the sensitivity helps.
    12-20-08 03:28 PM
    I just got my Storm yesterday, actually its my first BB. I've had it for less than 24 hours and I'm already getting around rather quickly...and also text I'm finding rather easy...alot easier than I thought I would. It is most deff. not as bad as what people seemed to have made it.

I love it!
    12-20-08 03:29 PM
    I can type so friggin fast, and I've had mine for a week. I noticed that turning up the sensitivity helps.
    Wouldnt upping the sensitivity increase the chance for mistakes?
    12-20-08 03:35 PM
    Wouldnt upping the sensitivity increase the chance for mistakes?
    No because you still have to click the screen to enter the letter.
    12-20-08 03:37 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD