I have went through and deleted all of my SMS/MMS, Emails, and all the messages out of my "messages" folder but I still have the Icon at the top of the screen that says I have an unread message. If I recieve a text it will then go to two unread messages.. What is the deal? I cannot find what is causing it to do this.

I'm currently on 141 hybrid 5. I want to switch to 148, but I'm afraid when I backup my phone, its going to back up what ever is causing it to trip the unread message and it will continue to do that even after upgrading the OS?

Any suggestions as to what to do?
    06-17-09 12:44 AM
    Battery pull?
    06-17-09 12:53 AM
    Several of them.
    06-17-09 01:02 AM
    It could be a missed call... Could be.
    06-17-09 01:07 AM
    I've even deleted my call logs.
    06-17-09 01:08 AM
    Maybe the Saved Messages folder?
    06-17-09 01:23 AM
    Are you using any other program like myspace or facebook? also the BB messenger could trigger that icon.
    06-17-09 01:23 AM
    I've checked. I looked at my FB and didn't see any messages. I don't have Myspace app. but I will check that. I do not have any open BBM conversations either.
    06-17-09 01:26 AM
    Other possibilities:

Messages > menu > view folder > check each.

+ do u have visual voicemail?

Lastly, 2 check if any icons hidden: on home screen & w/in folders, menu > show all (no option if all displayed).
    06-17-09 01:42 AM
    I checked all folders and deleted everything in them. But its still there. No I do not have visual v/m. I also clicked on show all and there were none that were hidden.
    06-17-09 01:49 AM
    Only other thing i can think 2 do is landscape view > messages > pull up keyboard > type "u" for unread.

Were battery pulls w/device on?
    06-17-09 01:58 AM
    I'm currently loading 148 so I can take it to Verizon tomorrow if your last suggestion doesn't work. Its realllllly annoying. I hate having alerts on my phone.
    06-17-09 02:05 AM
    I did a battery pull, then went to both Messages and SMS and typed in U and it didn't pull up anything. After I loaded 148, it gave me a notification in my SMS that I had a new message but when I clicked on it, it wouldn't bring it up. Guess I'm going to Verizon tomorrow.
    06-17-09 02:21 AM
    I have the same issue and have tried everything and can't seem to locate unread message.
    06-17-09 02:41 AM
    Ok found the answer on blackberry forums:

From the main message queue do a search:
    service=ALL SERVICES
    folder: ALL FOLDERS
    show: ONLY UNREAD
    type=ALL

This found the unread message.
    Last edited by beckywc; 06-17-09 at 02:54 AM.
    06-17-09 02:51 AM

service=ALL SERVICES
    type=ALL

oh...my...GOD! thankyou. that envelope was driving me crazy for the last hr .&. a half
    06-24-09 03:36 AM

service=ALL SERVICES
    type=ALL

this is a godsend.... for the past 2 days I had that little slanted envelope for SMS saying 1 message. this search found it for me. thanks so much
    07-19-09 08:27 PM
    Thanks beckywc! I had the same problem all weekend. I thought I went through all the messages. Guess not.
    07-20-09 11:36 AM
    Wow thank god for this thread - it saved the life of an 8900 . . . .
    08-05-09 12:39 AM
    Just so you all know you can also do this a much easier way all you gotta do is open your msgs folder and push the "U" key it will display any unread msgs.. you can also scroll to the top by using "T" and then the bottom by using "B"
    08-05-09 01:00 AM
    Battery pull should do the trick. If not then search for unread msgs.
    08-05-09 01:58 AM
    I have had something similar to that problem. For me it was a red star indicator on all the message icons. I have done everything. I have talked to the tech at Verizon Wireless 3 times, went to the Verizon Store 3 times, and talked to the Blackberry tech over at RIM. All of there collective knowledge that all those people had lead to nothing. I'm going to chalk this up to software issues.
    08-05-09 02:21 AM
    Only other thing i can think 2 do is landscape view > messages > pull up keyboard > type "u" for unread.

Were battery pulls w/device on?
    OMG THANK YOU! I've had the same problem with the annoying icon showing up and I couldn't figure out what I hadn't unread. I went through my messages, emails, everything, and now finally I found out what i had not read by simply pressing you in my text messages area. What's strange is that the message icon was displayed, not the text message icon.
    08-05-09 08:44 AM
    Battery pull?
    Thanks for the simple solution. I tried every thing I read and nothing worked til I got to this one. Thanks to Zombie, the battery pull works. Don't know why I did not think of it. Always get my problems solved when I come to Crackberry. Thanks guys.
    05-29-10 08:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD