So I just bought a new Storm 9500 after using a Bold for only a month (I'm loving this Blackberry stuff). Anyways, the phone is Vodafone UK branded and "locked". I asked the guy who sold it to me to unlock it before I bought it, so he did whatever he did and I tested my AT&T SIM card and I could use the phone with my BIS and everything.

Issue is that when I went into the SIM card options, it reads Network: Active, so doesn't that mean it is still Vodafone locked? After upgrading to the latest firmware it now reads Network: Inactive. I have an unlocked Bold, so I know it's suppose to say "Disabled"... so should it also say this as well?

Basically I can use my AT&T SIM without any issues, but I fear that down the road it might randomly decide to lock itself for whatever reason.

What is going on with this phone?

Regards.
    06-13-09 02:00 AM
    It's kind of strange that it's working fine... You're correct, if it's properly unlocked, it'll say Network: Disabled.
    06-13-09 02:05 AM
    I even tried putting in a proper unlock code from a reputable online shop and I don't get the dialog box after typing "MEP2".

I don't know if it's related or not, but I also don't have access to the browser.
    06-13-09 02:32 AM
    I think that once you put that unlock code in that did unlock the phone. Now you need to follow the steps to get the browser to work. If you look in the tips forum there is a thread the will help you out. I would post the link for you but I am not near my laptop. The thread is there I think that it is titled something like setting up storm for Att. Hope this helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-09 07:45 AM
    Not quite sure if I am reading this right so forgive me if I am not

you say you can't get the dialogue box after typing in mep2 if it is just at that stage you can't see what your typing in this is usual

if you look at the unlock code instructions there is a point where it says about twhen you type in the mep codes you will not see what you type.
    06-13-09 11:03 AM
    I am on the same boat. I bought my unlocked verizon storm to use w/ at&t. service works, but I cannot get my browser to work and more importantly, i cannot get this guy's number out of my phone. it reads the number correctly off of my sim, but it still lists "my number" as the old owner's AND my visual voice mail is still his number. how do i change this!?!?
    06-13-09 12:11 PM
    I think that once you put that unlock code in that did unlock the phone. Now you need to follow the steps to get the browser to work. If you look in the tips forum there is a thread the will help you out. I would post the link for you but I am not near my laptop. The thread is there I think that it is titled something like setting up storm for Att. Hope this helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I found the thread for the browser and figured it out. So that's taken care of.

And I never put in an unlock code; my phone was purchase like that; I want it to be officially unlocked but it won't let me enter an unlock code.

Not quite sure if I am reading this right so forgive me if I am not

you say you can't get the dialogue box after typing in mep2 if it is just at that stage you can't see what your typing in this is usual

if you look at the unlock code instructions there is a point where it says about twhen you type in the mep codes you will not see what you type.
    Right I don't get a dialog box. I know I should be getting a box because I unlocked my Bold when I called AT&T for the code, and that gave me a box to type the code in after typing MEPD and then MEP2.
    06-13-09 11:30 PM
    I found the thread for the browser and figured it out. So that's taken care of.

And I never put in an unlock code; my phone was purchase like that; I want it to be officially unlocked but it won't let me enter an unlock code.

Right I don't get a dialog box. I know I should be getting a box because I unlocked my Bold when I called AT&T for the code, and that gave me a box to type the code in after typing MEPD and then MEP2.
    If the phone is properly unlocked, that box will not appear when you type MEP2.
    06-13-09 11:51 PM
    If the phone is properly unlocked, that box will not appear when you type MEP2.
    Okay; that sounds good.

Thanks.
    06-14-09 03:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD