Hello all, I will be traveling to mexico later this week and i wanted to know if my unlimited text messages and data apply there or if there are different rates?
    04-21-09 10:31 AM
    I was there in February, my suggestion is to get your phone unlocked.
    Then go into an AT&T store and do a month to month plan, pop in the Sim and enjoy.
    I tried the local cell companies in Mexico, it got very expensive.
    It would have been around $100 for the AT&T plan.
    04-21-09 11:21 AM
    What do you mean do a month to month plan? I'll only be there for about 5 days so thats how long i need it for. Will i receive a sim card from them or how does it work?
    04-21-09 11:35 AM
    Where are you going? I'm headed to TJ on the 29th
    04-21-09 11:47 AM
    Unlock phone and do the AT&T prepaid. No data but you will be able to make and
    Receive calls and text for $.25 in and out

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-09 11:52 AM
    Im headed down next month. I am going to have VW block texting before I leave, and then Ill turn off my data services while Im there. Otherwise Id be charged for text and email. I wont be able to do any browsing while down there.

Ill just use my phone occosionally to make a call.

Be carefull, roaming data charges get expensive fast if you are using them.
    04-21-09 11:53 AM
    Just call verizon and have to phone unlocked and get a cheap
    Att prepaid phone take the card out and put it on your
    Phone. Calls and text will be only $.25 in/out.
    With Verizon it was $.99 the las two times I went to Mexico
    August 2008 and February 2009

Last edited by adempster; 04-21-09 at 12:02 PM.
    04-21-09 12:00 PM
    Let me make sure I understand this correctly. Do I need to buy an actual phone then just take out the sim card and put it into my storm? I dont mind buying it I just want to make I'm understanding. Also can i walk in to a vzw store and have them unlock the phone?
    04-21-09 12:05 PM
    I got the att prepaid from Walmart for $9.99 got it activate via their toll free number. Iv heard that you can also go to
    That's how I did it.

04-21-09 12:23 PM
    let me get this straight...take the sim out and put it in the storm.....why not just use the throw away att prepaid phone? can that phone work in mexico? thanks
    04-21-09 12:58 PM
    I got the att prepaid from Walmart for $9.99 got it activate via their toll free number. Iv heard that you can also go to
    That's how I did it.

I guess that would work, but if you are just using your phone for an occasional urgent call while on vacation you can just disable texting, data, and email, then pay the $1 per minute for phone calling.

20 minutes of calls = $20
    20 minutes of calls using your method = $15

Seems like a lot of work to save a few bucks unless you need to use your phone a lot while on vacation.
    04-21-09 01:27 PM
    That's how I did it.

What did you get prepaid from wal-mart? one of those prepaid phones then activated it and just took the sim card to your storm?
    04-21-09 01:36 PM
    I don't know about you but if I was going I would want the data option. If that's the case just upgrade to the 65$
    plan for a month and you have unlimited data. I'm permanently on that plan.

04-21-09 01:45 PM
    For Data Call Verizon about 2 days before you go and have them put you on the Global Data Plan it is about $20 more a month than the normal unlimited data plane. When you get back have them set you back to your original plan. They will pro rated it for just the time you were there.

When you are doing it you may as well call the International dept and have them unlock it.
    04-21-09 01:51 PM
    I would call your provider and talk to them.
    04-21-09 02:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD