Hello fellow storm owners. I'm new to the crackberry society and new to BlackBerry ownership. I just want to say I would be lost without this site. lol.My problem is every time I do a back up I'm getting an unknown error message. I tried doing multiple battery pulls and trying again but no luck. I'm running the leaked .85 OS. Anyone else having this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    01-06-09 08:35 AM
    Hello fellow storm owners. I'm new to the crackberry society and new to BlackBerry ownership. I just want to say I would be lost without this site. lol.My problem is every time I do a back up I'm getting an unknown error message. I tried doing multiple battery pulls and trying again but no luck. I'm running the leaked .85 OS. Anyone else having this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Where is the error on the PC or the Phone?
    What OS on the PC?
    What version of Desktop Manager?

Help us to help you brother....
    01-06-09 08:37 AM
    The error is on the PC. right when it finishes it usually will say backup completed successfully. but it has a big red X and unknown error under it. I'm running 4.7 DM. PC has Vista home premium.
    01-06-09 08:41 AM
    And MS Vista correct.....
    01-06-09 08:42 AM
    Does this look or sound familiar.....

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/unk...eported-99739/
    01-06-09 08:43 AM
    That's not what's happening. When you do a data back up and the back up finishes it will tell you that the back up was successful. But now it's saying unknown error. It connects to the PC fine and it checks for updates perfectly and does everything else perfectly except the back up. It's driving me nuts. I recently switched to a new laptop. I was tunning XP pro on my last laptop and I never got the error message. But as soon as I did my first backup on the new laptop with Vista it happened and is still happening.
    01-06-09 08:48 AM
    I'm running Zone Alarm as well. I see it says to disable Anti virus. But I was always running ZA before and never had an issue. I'll try the disable User account thing as well. Thanks for your help. I hope this will rectify my issue.
    01-06-09 08:52 AM
    Ok I tried everything that BB says to do. I disabled ZA and shut off the UA security and I still get the error message when I finish the back up. I'm starting to get really angry with this darn phone. Maybe it's in the BB OS. Nobody else is getting this error message after doing a back up?
    01-06-09 10:09 AM
    So does anyone have any idea how to get rid of this problem?
    01-06-09 07:27 PM
    Have you tried using another computer?
    01-06-09 08:06 PM
    Hello, I am also new to this forum and to BB's in general.
    I am having the same issue as the original poster of this thread. I get an error message when I try to back up my data.

This is very annoying because I have the original OS (.75) since I got the phone only 3 weeks ago from Verizon Wireless as part of my free upgrade.

I am using Windows XP and have not really used the desktop software until now because I want to install the leaked .85 OS (which I still am having trouble installing).

If anyone has ideas or solutions, please post because I have some files I don't want to lose in case the .85 OS erases it when I install it.
    01-06-09 08:36 PM
    basically, put your storm on ebay or craigslist because it is garbage and wont be fixed until about a million more updates or the whole new storm 2(whenever that may be)
    01-06-09 08:42 PM
    Have you tried using another computer?
    Yes. This laptop is only 3 days old. I can't see it causing an issue. I just think it's another bug in the leaked OS. Or the storm is a pile of junk. I'm starting to believe the latter.
    01-06-09 08:43 PM
    I am still having this issue with my new laptop. I did a back up on my parents desktop with XP and it worked fine. But for some reason it will not work on my new laptop with Vista. Anyone else having this issue with Vista Home premium?
    01-07-09 05:22 PM
    long time reader, first time poster...enjoy the site and all the opinions...
    I'm also getting an "unknown error" when backing up my data. I'm about to get a new phone delivered (because the first one has some issues, big surprise) and I want to be able to back everything up so as not to loose the few items I've collected. When I go to the folders at the backup location on my desktop, there are no files, just a bunch of folders. BB is 9530 v.75, desktop is running Windows XP...
    01-08-09 06:26 PM
    The error pops up during a process with a window titled "Transfer in progress Backing up on-board device memory..." if that makes a difference
    01-08-09 06:36 PM
    sorry to be such a newbie about this...
    but when I first started the backup process, I went to "options" and checked the box that says "backup on-board device memory" then went back and clicked on "back up". I just went back and unchecked "backup on-board device memory" and it backed up without the error...

now i just need to figure out what athe on-board device memory is. would that be the micro SD card? and why would it have trouble backing that up?
    01-08-09 06:43 PM
    i thought i posted previously in this thread but i guess not, v 1.5.0 and below of podtrapper caused the phone to get a error message when backing up.
    01-08-09 06:45 PM
    Try cleaning the memory on your device by going to options > security options > memory cleaning > bb button > clean now.

Then run the back up. You can also just clear the cache in your browser as this has worked for other folks as well.
    01-08-09 06:46 PM
    On your Vista machine, are you running, or have you installed, VMware ? Even if you don't evoke him under Vista, he sits and waits with a weird network open - this freaks out Norton and the DM at times.

Doctor Neutron
    01-08-09 09:43 PM
    I'm getting the same error. I'm running XP on the desktop, and I've unchecked "Backup on-board device memory" in Options. I click on Backup, and it starts running. It gets to "Categories" and stops, with a red X and the words "Unknown Error."

I'd really appreciate anyone's help, since I haven't been able to back up the device.

Thanks!
    01-21-09 04:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD