Bought an unlocked Storm 9530 yesterday and popped in my T-Mobile
    SIM card. I could text, but not place any calls. When I tried calling, I received
    a "No circuit/channel available". At the call screen I see a a phone number that isn't mine. After I gave up I turned off the phone for a while and let it charge. Upon booting up I got an error message and my SIM refused to work
    at all. It says SOS at the top right and even though my
    mobile network is on, it just doesn't do anything. I have the mode set to GSM/UMTS and 3G/2G. I can't even select a network manually. I get an error that says "Unable to acquire network..."

Is my Storm a lemon?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-10 08:56 AM
    Have you read through the posts listed here?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/953...osting-328759/
    02-05-10 09:39 AM
    You will need to upgrade to 5.0.0.419 to get rid of the no channel/no circuit error message. (Search the Storm OS discussion forum)

You will also need to read, read and re-read the directions on the above link, then follow them to a T.

The thing is that the Storm is not a Tmo phone, so you have to tweak a few things to get it going on Tmo. But the effort is all worth it.

I don't think your Storm is a lemon - I have been using my Storm on Tmo for over 6 months and have no problems.

If you do run into issues, search the forums and ask. Everything you need to know about every known issue with the Storm has an answer here at CB.
    02-05-10 12:25 PM
    Downloading .419 right now. I'm not too sure what MTS is.

How do I remove the vendor.xml file?
    02-05-10 05:27 PM
    Go to: My computer, then Program Files (if you have a 64-bit computer open the program files x86 folder), then Common Files, then Research In Motion, then AppLoader. Look down to the very bottom of the files listed in Apploader. You'll find the vender.xml file there. Right click on it an delete it.

Please post if you have any more questions.
    02-05-10 09:12 PM
    Fixed. No longer receiving errors.

However, I notice that if I loosen the two Torx T6 screws to make the screen click better, I lose my radio functionality.
    02-05-10 09:26 PM
    I have never messed with the Torx screws - I just took a post-it note, folded it in half, cut it to size and put it behind my battery. Fixed the screen click issue for me. Others have put those colored dot stickers on their batteries. In other words, there are other fixes for the screen click besides loosening the Torx screws.

Did you fix the phone number issue? If you dial ##000000 on your dial pad, then press the green key, it will bring up a screen that lists a phone number on the top line. Change that to your phone number. Save. Your number should appear now when you make a call.

Another thing you should do: click on Options on your home screen. Choose Advanced Options. Then choose TCP/IP. Under the top line that says APN Settings Enabled (make sure it is checked), is APN: type in 'wap.voicestream.com' without the quotation marks. Save. it will probably say something about verizon. It needs to be changed.

I've also found that if you go to Options>Mobile Network, choose GSM/UMTS instead of global, and 2G instead of 3G, the phone seems to work better.

If you've already found these hints, please ignore. Just trying to be helpful. I was such a noobie when I got my Storm, I didn't even know phones had operating systems! Boy, have I learned a lot!
    Last edited by k8108; 02-05-10 at 11:49 PM.
    02-05-10 11:36 PM
    I have never messed with the Torx screws - I just took a post-it note, folded it in half, cut it to size and put it behind my battery. Fixed the screen click issue for me. Others have put those colored dot stickers on their batteries. In other words, there are other fixes for the screen click besides loosening the Torx screws.

Did you fix the phone number issue? If you dial ##000000 on your dial pad, then press the green key, it will bring up a screen that lists a phone number on the top line. Change that to your phone number. Save. Your number should appear now when you make a call.

Another thing you should do: click on Options on your home screen. Choose Advanced Options. Then choose TCP/IP. Under the top line that says APN Settings Enabled (make sure it is checked), is APN: type in 'wap.voicestream.com' without the quotation marks. Save. it will probably say something about verizon. It needs to be changed.

I've also found that if you go to Options>Mobile Network, choose GSM/UMTS instead of global, and 2G instead of 3G, the phone seems to work better.

If you've already found these hints, please ignore. Just trying to be helpful. I was such a noobie when I got my Storm, I didn't even know phones had operating systems! Boy, have I learned a lot!
    Thank you so much. This cleared up everything I was confused about. I stopped messing with the Torx screws and I am now using part of a business card behind the battery.

The only problem that remains with T-Mobile is that I am unable to check my minutes using the #646#. If I call it, I get an error saying that my call cannot be completed. I think the Verizon branding is causing this. Aside from that, I have full functionality with the Storm and am very impressed.
    02-05-10 11:58 PM
    I can call #646# on my phone. I haven't read about this issue, but perhaps another Tmo user will see this and have a suggestion.
    02-06-10 12:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD