I have managed to locate the full upgrade for the 9500 Genuine UK Vodafone Storm handset. I have installed it and run it, and am pleased to say its a VAST improvement on the old 4.7.0.65 version.

It is available from the German vodafone site on the following URL:

www[dot]vodafone[dot]de/hilfe-support/blackberry/138365_139026.html

(Please excuse the amendments to the URL - necessary on my account at the moment)

It does a complete backup, then installs the new BDM which in turn upgrades your handset and apps to the new versions (including a complete OS reload).

I am now showing the following in my device info screen:

v4.7.0.78 (Platform 4.0.0.98)

Go ahead and give it a shot...I have the file if anyone wants it (if they ditch it from the german page). The screen rotates much quicker with this upgrade (max 0.5 seconds per flip) and the screen appears to be a decent amount faster too.

I have checked all functionality and everything is set back to how I had it before the upgrade (prefs and settings etc) so I cannot find a reason not to take the plunge to 4.7.0.78.

Who needs .75 or .76 anyway!!

Take care all, and speak soon!
    Last edited by photoshop; 12-04-08 at 08:20 PM.
    12-04-08 08:05 PM
    I am pretty sure that they are all the same update, just .75 for verizon, .76 for bell and .78 for voda. I think they numbered it that way to keep it seperate so people are not loading the 9500 software onto a 9530 and trying to load a different carrier's software with their specific xml files onto the wrong phone. Just a thought.
    12-04-08 09:02 PM
    I am pretty sure that they are all the same update, just .75 for verizon, .76 for bell and .78 for voda. I think they numbered it that way to keep it seperate so people are not loading the 9500 software onto a 9530 and trying to load a different carrier's software with their specific xml files onto the wrong phone. Just a thought.
    What would make you think that? Unless RIM does things differently from most in the industry, each number would represent a different build. It would be very unlikely for them to assign three different numbers to the same build. Also, every indication is that .76 is a marginal improvement on .75 and .78 is better than both.
    12-04-08 09:27 PM
    Oh, well most of the stuff I have read is that the updates fix pretty much the same stuff. And there is all the talk about having to delete vendor files and the like. I would figure that people that dont know much about blackberries would potentially install the wrong stuff. Apologies for my newbness.
    12-04-08 09:33 PM
    As I was installing on a Vodafone handset and using the Vodafone software, there is no need to do anything with the vendor files. Just download the file and hit the Run button.

I cannot see any reason for the alternative version numbers for the different service providers (although I suppose there is some sort of sense in keeping the different model software seperate)

Anyway, having used the handset a lot this morning, I can confirm that all is well, and the update appears to be improving response to all areas of use.

I have also updated the settings on the touchscreen to give quicker response when typing:

Key Rate: Fast
    Tap Interval: 500
    Hover Period: 400
    Swipe Sensitivity: (High) 6

Much faster to write now (comparable to speeds on standard mobile and my old iphone).

Interested to see what improvements are made in the next release...
    12-05-08 03:50 AM
    Awesome. Downloading now!

Bear in mind that Vodafone have said they are releasing their update on Monday (8th) Dec
    12-05-08 04:08 AM
    Awesome. Downloading now!

Bear in mind that Vodafone have said they are releasing their update on Monday (8th) Dec
    Surely that Vodafone update will be the same as the German one?!?
    12-05-08 04:13 AM
    No thats wrong. There was a 75 version for vodafone, too but vodafone did not release it. Its just the providers decision which firmware to release and which one to keep.
    12-05-08 04:14 AM
    OP thanks for the link am going to give it a whirl.
    12-05-08 04:47 AM
    BlackBerry(R) 9500
    v4.7.0.78 (Platform 4.0.0.98)

Awesome stuff. Update went on so easy and was done in about 15mins.
    12-05-08 05:36 AM
    Thanks for the link. The whole update was very straightforward
    12-05-08 06:03 PM
    My storm is DM3 unlocked (originally from Vodafone) and currently doing well on Orange. I would like to upgrade to the newest firmware (v4.7.0.78). Will my phone remain unlocked after the upgrade?

Thanks for the link. The whole update was very straightforward
    12-05-08 08:28 PM
    My storm is DM3 unlocked (originally from Vodafone) and currently doing well on Orange. I would like to upgrade to the newest firmware (v4.7.0.78). Will my phone remain unlocked after the upgrade?
    Once the SIM is unlocked, it'll stay that way. It's not like an iPown.
    12-05-08 08:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD