So, I wanted to put some music and pictures on my phone and thought "hey, this phone has an 8gb memory card already in it, so why not put some stuff on it?"

Well, I hooked up the storm to my computer with the USB cable that came with the phone. I thought I that I could just drag and drop a song or picture from one of my folders into this:

My Computer > MTP Device - Media Card > Media > and here I think it had another folder.

Thing is, I tried it with one song, and I tried playing it on the phone and the phone was bugging out pausing, playing, stopping, etc. Then at one point it said in red "error playing" and it would play 10 seconds of the song and then bug out again.

So, now I was freaking out and I wanted to delete it off of my phone; and I did.

But now I wanted to try to add a picture (that I did successfully the first time when I tried putting music on and it didn't bug out, just kinda lagged a bit like the rest of the phone when opening it).

However, when I connect my phone now, in:

My Computer > MTP Device - Media Card > Media > there is no folder in here.

I can't even create a folder and there is also no folder in "Data" anymore. But why? I mean, one of my pictures is still in the phone yet it is not showing up on the Media Card or the Device Memory on the computer???!!!

It's scaring me that I ruined the memory card in some way...

What should I do to properly put stuff on the memory card now and have folder so everything is not...everywhere.

And what about it showing up on my computer?

Desperate here, please help!
    11-29-08 12:47 AM
    Did you enable usb mass storage?
    11-29-08 12:57 AM
    Well, under Options, then Memory on the Storm I see under

Mass Storage Mode Support: On

So, yes, I guess it is on. But the one below it reads:

Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: No

I'm scared ;(
    11-29-08 01:01 AM

I'm scared ;(
    Select YES for auto enable, or prompt. When you get prompted, select mass storage and you should be able to see all the folders in the 1gb media partition and another section in my computer for the 8gb media card.

Mine were labeled BLACKBERRY1 and BLACKBERRY2 by default
    11-29-08 01:04 AM

I'm scared ;(
    To drag and drop via the Windows filesystem the phone has to be in Mass Storage Mode, which it won't enter unless the Auto enable is set to at least prompt and you respond yes.

The mode its in with auto enable set to no, the phone is expecting a program like Rhapsody or Roxio to handle the file transfers. That's also why you don't see the directory structure when you explore it.
    11-29-08 01:07 AM
    I connected it to the computer again but I never got a "prompt". The only thing that came up was Windows' list of programs to run, ie, Realplayer, etc.

Went straight to the folders, no prompt, still the same. Then opened up BB Desktop Manager, still no prompt.

Maybe I'm confused as to what/how I should be putting stuff on the phone. Can I just drag and drop, do I need to have BBDM up and running, do I do all my stuff through that, etc?

I'm confused.
    11-29-08 01:11 AM
    I connected it to the computer again but I never got a "prompt". The only thing that came up was Windows' list of programs to run, ie, Realplayer, etc.

Went straight to the folders, no prompt, still the same. Then opened up BB Desktop Manager, still no prompt.

Maybe I'm confused as to what/how I should be putting stuff on the phone. Can I just drag and drop, do I need to have BBDM up and running, do I do all my stuff through that, etc?

I'm confused.
    Disconnect the phone, change the option you saw (Auto Enable Mass Storage When Connected) to "Prompt", save and reconnect the phone.

A popup should appear on the phone asking if you want to enable Mass Storage.
    11-29-08 01:14 AM
    Ok, thank you kuroshio! It works now. If I run into any more problems I'll let post 'em!
    11-29-08 01:16 AM
    Ok, thank you kuroshio! It works now. If I run into any more problems I'll let post 'em!
    NP. Just a little forewarning. If you do decide to use Rhapsody or Roxio or another program of that type to load media onto the phone, you do not want the phone in Mass Storage Mode. That's why I suggest using the "Prompt" option.

Those programs won't be able to transfer the files if it is
    11-29-08 01:20 AM
    Everything is working fine for me now, I would just like to know how to get album artwork transferred to the blackberry as well. Or to "get" album artwork...?
    11-29-08 01:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD