1. Even with the Verizon/Vodafone exclusivity, there will still be unlocked Storms for sale right? As an AT&T subscriber, I don't want to leave and figure I could just pop my SIM in and use the phone. I also figure that an unlocked version also has unlocked gps, so I could just use google maps for free?

2. Will the GSM/Vodafone version of the phone have visual voicemail? I have only heard Verizon marketing visual voicemail and pretty much no one else.

I appreciate your help/insight.
    10-21-08 04:02 AM
    As for #1:

Apparently you can't use GSM in the States, but you can overseas. GPS is unlocked already on VZW (From the Manual). It's aGPS that will be locked down and only VZ Navigator will be able to use it.

Not sure about #2.
    10-21-08 08:52 AM
    GPS is unlocked already on VZW (From the Manual). It's aGPS that will be locked down and only VZ Navigator will be able to use it.

Not sure about #2.
    What's the difference between GPS and aGPS?
    10-21-08 09:14 AM
    aGPS = assisted global positioning.

aGPS will pinpoint your position faster then GPS.
    10-21-08 09:17 AM
    GPS is your standard GPS that you find in navigation units.

aGPS is assisted GPS. I believe it uses the cell towers to get a faster lock on your location.
    10-21-08 09:19 AM
    Now I was as shocked as everyone else when I read in the training guide that the GPS is in fact NOT locked down and will work with blackberry maps!

How exciting is that?

Now lets just hope its true!
    10-21-08 09:40 AM
    Now I was as shocked as everyone else when I read in the training guide that the GPS is in fact NOT locked down and will work with blackberry maps!

How exciting is that?

I just hope it's not locked to BB Maps and works with third party apps like Blackberry GPS Tracker - Home

I wonder if they will allow GPS with the 8830 after the Storm comes out.
    10-21-08 09:42 AM

How exciting is that?

i read the manual, and all i found it to say was that blackberry maps will work with the gps, and not agps. this doesnt have to mean the gps is unlocked. did i miss it? or are you guys assuming it will be unlocked because the gps now works with blackberry maps?
    10-21-08 09:43 AM
    i read the manual, and all i found it to say was that blackberry maps will work with the gps, and not agps. this doesnt have to mean the gps is unlocked. did i miss it? or are you guys assuming it will be unlocked because the gps now works with blackberry maps?
    Yes we are making an assumption that it will be unlocked for third party apps.

Let's just say someone on this forums gave us a hint that it would be unlocked.
    10-21-08 09:47 AM
    1. Even with the Verizon/Vodafone exclusivity, there will still be unlocked Storms for sale right? As an AT&T subscriber, I don't want to leave and figure I could just pop my SIM in and use the phone. I also figure that an unlocked version also has unlocked gps, so I could just use google maps for free?

2. Will the GSM/Vodafone version of the phone have visual voicemail? I have only heard Verizon marketing visual voicemail and pretty much no one else.

I appreciate your help/insight.
    I'm sure you will be able to buy the vodaphone verison unlocked. If you are not able to you can always buy the vodaphone at retail and get it unlocked. Plenty of services on ebay that do this or someone on here might be able to figure it out.
    10-21-08 10:02 AM
    You can check out this website as well. They have the Storms on sale for pre-order and they come unlocked. Have never ordered from here so I don't know how reliable they are but looks pretty good. Note that they have the Verizon Storm ETA as Nov. 10, 2008.

Blackberry Phones at MobileCityOnline.com
    10-21-08 10:48 AM
    Well I do appreciate the info that you guys have given so far. Wouldn't an inherently unlocked phone also have unlocked gps though, since I'm talking about a gsm version? According to the mobile city online website that was provided by darryl, the unlocked storm offers quadband EDGE and tri-band 3G so I should be good to go in the states. However, the same listing indicates wifi support, which is probably not true.

I don't know about buying the phone from vodaphone and getting it unlocked. I'm not a vodaphone subscriber. I've never even bought an unlocked phone but I assume it's easy enough if I can afford it.
    10-21-08 01:36 PM
    Well I do appreciate the info that you guys have given so far. Wouldn't an inherently unlocked phone also have unlocked gps though, since I'm talking about a gsm version? According to the mobile city online website that was provided by darryl, the unlocked storm offers quadband EDGE and tri-band 3G so I should be good to go in the states. However, the same listing indicates wifi support, which is probably not true.

I don't know about buying the phone from vodaphone and getting it unlocked. I'm not a vodaphone subscriber. I've never even bought an unlocked phone but I assume it's easy enough if I can afford it.
    Just because the phone is unlocked doesn't mean the GPS will. You can unlock the 8830 WE but the GPS is still locked. (I believe this to be the case).
    10-21-08 01:38 PM
    So the visual voicemail is really that up in the air?
    10-21-08 03:11 PM
    So the visual voicemail is really that up in the air?
    Not sure what you mean by your question, but it has been widely known and confirmed that Verizon's visual voicemail will be available (maybe not right at the Storm's launch, but soon after) and for a fee (I believe $2.99/month).

Yeah it's nickle and diming, but it's Verizon, so what's new.

Checkout YouMail, it's an awesome VVM, and it's free.
    10-21-08 07:01 PM
    Dogbert, what I meant by visual voicemail was that would an unlocked GSM Storm still have support for visual voicemail? Is this something Vodafone is marketing overseas?

I've used youmail before and I dont like it. I shouldn't have to use data to get my voicemail. It should be stored onboard the device like with the iPhone, without any need for data retrieval. I know that shouldnt matter with an unlimited data plan but I dont want to be deterred from checking my voicemail, even if Im in an area with bad signal or no wifi.
    10-22-08 12:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD