I love my Storm and I'm about to love it even more at work when I get my OtterBox case. The question I have is this... I have a Nextel at work that I hate carrying. It's used only for making and receiving phone calls. I also carry my Storm. Now if I get my Storm unlocked could I plug in the Nextel SIM and still make and receive phone calls from both my Verizon number and my Nextel number?

Sounds kinda far fetched but who knows?
    03-02-09 10:34 PM
    I would also like to know.
    03-02-09 10:44 PM
    I've been trying to think this one out too. I've got this family plan contract I've been carrying since my original flip phone puchase included a "buddy" phone.

Same models, two different phone #s. I let an employee use the dummy (disabled browsing, ld and texting. Anyway he left town with it and I had Bell shut it right down but they continued to charge me $30 a month till the original 3yrs was up.

Reason I paid is because on this "family" plan I was able to
    get free incoming, free eves 6pm and weekends, 500min ld (Canada), 700 local min. No data plan and rarely texted, browsed or emailed.

Anyway I just upgraded to this storm and I'm get'n into it like big time but they keep telling me I need to get a second phone again or they are going to charge me $15 a month retroactive to June of '07 for not having more than one active #.

So I'm thinking of getting a second phone on this family plan deal and get my land line # assigned to it. (they told me they can do this)

Then just forward calls to my BB ('cause incoming's free)

I've always been told to not lose this family plan contract or let it expire or I will lose all of these perks and unlimited promos. The data plan I got was $35 a month for 500 megs which I'm told by the retailer is plenty for almost 98% of users. My total cost I'd like to keep around $100.00 and dumping the $40 land link will likely make it affordable to go the extra $10 to get unlimited data.

All I need to know is am I missing anything? Other than going to 16G and trying these OS upgrade tests.

hmmm...bit long but...how else could I had said it
    03-03-09 02:02 PM
    You can use any sim card in the Storm once it is unlocked but you cannot use both numbers simultaneously.

I have my regular Verizon line obviously hooked up to my Storm and I have my AT&T sim card inserted. Both lines work but I have to manually switch the wireless settings from 1XEV to GSM. For me it is still better than carrying around two phones.

When I'm on 1XEV, which I am most of the time, if someone tries to call my AT&T number it will go straight to voice mail and vice versa. Also I don't have a data plan for my att line so I am not able to use the data features (never tried though but I don't really want to get data charges on my att line).

If you wanted to use data on the line with the sim, I believe you can as long as you have a blackberry data plan attached with that carrier but you cannot use 3g capabilities. It will be edge I think.
    03-03-09 02:29 PM
    Nextel SIM cards are iden. I don't think it would work with the Storm because the Storm doesn't have an iden radio.
    03-27-09 02:25 PM
    Nextel SIMs will not work in the Storm. Only GSM (T-Mobile, AT&T, etc.) SIM cards. The technologies are incompatible.
    03-27-09 02:27 PM
    That's why the Asian market is so far advanced. They have the dual-sim technology (for over a year now) where they can have 2 sim cards in one device. Personally, I'd never use it but, it's a sweet feature to have.
    03-27-09 02:29 PM
    What about just forwarding the calls from the Nextel work phone to your Verizon number? This can be done easily from a Verizon cell, Nextel/Sprint probably has a similar feature.
    03-27-09 02:38 PM
    You can call forward after no answer the Nextel to the Verizon phone... Instead of *72 it's *71-x-xxx-xxx-xxxx and your Nextel will still ring but instead of going to voicemail it will forward to your Verizon phone... But keep these four things in mind:

1.) Nextel may charge for call forwarding, you may want to check with Nextel or your employer.

2.) If you answer a call on your Verizon phone that was forwarded from your Nextel number, it will use your Nextel minutes AND your Verizon minutes.

3.) If you return a call from your Verizon phone, it will show your Verizon number... not your Nextel work number.

4.) Calls to your Nextel phone forwarded to your Verizon phone will end up hitting your Verizon voice mail so you may want to keep your Verizon voice mail professional / work related.
    Last edited by eMpTy43; 03-27-09 at 03:54 PM.
    03-27-09 03:48 PM
    That's why the Asian market is so far advanced. They have the dual-sim technology (for over a year now) where they can have 2 sim cards in one device. Personally, I'd never use it but, it's a sweet feature to have.
    North America is a JOKE for all things mobile
    03-27-09 04:00 PM
    North America is a JOKE for all things mobile
    So true. I wonder if there any BB's in Asia that aren't availabe in N. America. I know some Asian cell phone companies (Nokia, Samsung, etc.) have devices that we "westerners" would go nuts over.
    04-23-09 11:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD