I bought the Storm Saturday.

I went to return it today. I have had a 7100t about three years ago, and if it was a touch screen I would still be using it today.

Problems in order:

1) Serious lag between portrait and landscape - sometimes greater than 10 seconds.
    2) Editing text in a field is impossible unless your fingers are heated stylus points and see-through. If you try to edit in a text field, like in the crappy browser, if you follow directions, the highlight turns into a box. Now you are supposed to swipe left to move it. Instead, the entire field goes left.
    3) Click on a page or interaction button on a page to accept or do somthing and it regularly zooms in instead.
    4) It can take up to 15 presses on the screen before the snooze button even thinks that it is being pressed.
    5) The least intuitive phone I have ever tried, and I though that Windows Mobile was bad. Try finding bluetooth if you are new to the Blackberry's. In setup, there is a bluetooth routine, but instead of guiding you to the way to turn it on, it just tells you that it is disabled. It took me a bit before I finally pressed one of the real buttons on the phone to get the menu that had the "turn bluetooth on" portion.
    6) Entering text is absolutely difficult. The accuracy of the screen is about where a BETA test unit would be. I press on one key and get something else, only having to start the whole dang routine over to get what I need. How wasteful is that?
    7) Try finding the "-" in portrait and then in landscape modes. In one mode it is on the Numeric and the other it is on Symbol. this kind of inconsistencies tells me that they have not really field tested the unit. This applies to many of the other common symbols.
    8) There are no direction keys where you need it most: editing text. They do show up in going up and down the list of emails.
    9) No flash.
    10) No pdf viewer.
    11) Random duplicates after using the wizard to move data from my Mogul.
    12) Fatal Error when using the website (RIM's) to update and check for new software. Without Fail.
    13) Bluetooth stack is poor when connected to a Jawbone that works perfectly fine with three other phones. Lots of static.
    14) Even when the power is off, the phone will beep if accidentally pressed. I tried keeping the settings on for the beep so I would have audible confirmation when pressing the whacko screen.
    15) Phone is unusable when connected to the computer.
    16) Total inconsistencies with software. In one application, the accept key is buried in the menu key versus having to scroll 10 times to get to the bottom where the accept key usually is.
    17) POSITIVE: The Blackberry syncing is far superior to Activesync, which never fails to produce error messages that only someone in another parallel dimension could figure out how to solve.
    18) It was a great education on what happens when you rush something out the door.
    19) Some of this stuff will be natural to regular users of the Blackberrys. But how would you market this to a non-initated market share to compete with an iPhone?
    20) Even with the poor backbone of Sprint, my mogul is easier and more intuitive to use.
    21) If you lay it flat, it gets confused as to whether or not it shold be portrait or landscape. Crappy if you hate waiting twenty seconds for it to decide.
    22) buttons dissappear when pressing and go blank...

One line to just tell you that you are a "MORRON" !!!!!! enogh said!!
    11-24-08 06:25 PM
    Ok, RE issue 2 and the posted solution:

2) Editing text in a field is impossible unless your fingers are heated stylus points and see-through. If you try to edit in a text field, like in the crappy browser, if you follow directions, the highlight turns into a box. Now you are supposed to swipe left to move it. Instead, the entire field goes left. Editing in the text field must be a user error for you, if you would have walked through the user setup the first time it is easily explained. Hold your thumb/finger over the sentence the cursor will turn into a square, drag your thumb/finger to the point you want to edit.

This doesn't always work...often in a browser field (e.g., a google.com search query box) when you hold down on the sentence, the square will show up, but if you try to move it left in the sentance, it will sometimes drag the whole text in the field to the left, and it will hide...i often experience this when i've zoomed in on the field (will still happen when i zoom back out)...

anybody find any ways around this?
    11-24-08 06:36 PM
    No, I think what the issue, that no one wants to admit is this:

The people that are lashing out at others, for complaining about the Storms crappy user experience, are

1)Nervous that they purchased a phone that could decrease productivity rather than increase.

2)Wanted the Storm so bad for months, ignored the pre-release reviews, rushed out and bought one any ways.

3)Have blind faith that some OS update will be the "fix all" to all of the storms issues.

4)Have a sinking feeling in their gut that they made a mistake, and they are going to argue, and bash anyone who verifies this realization, because they are trying to sugar coat this reality and "say it ain't so."

The bottom line is, I had major expectations for this phone. It didn't meet them. I told the rep to keep the phone he was holding for me at VZ. Regardless of OS. There are some major flaws, that far outweigh the flaws of it's competition, even when the competition was released.
    +1 well said.
    11-24-08 06:39 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD