Hi folks,

Is there any way, or is there an app available, to turn the clock completely off in Bedside Mode? I know it dims, but not enough, and I have to cover it with a sock! Switching the phone off obviously makes the LED flash while charging, which is no good at all, when trying to get to sleep. I just want to be able to charge my phone overnight, without it keeping me awake. Surely, not too much to ask?

Cheers,

Simon.
    05-24-09 03:25 PM
    Press the end key. It will show menu icon and turn green off after mins.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-09 03:28 PM
    Or you could turn it over??
    Lol maybe I'm misunderstanding
    05-24-09 03:50 PM
    Hi folks,

Is there any way, or is there an app available, to turn the clock completely off in Bedside Mode? I know it dims, but not enough, and I have to cover it with a sock! Switching the phone off obviously makes the LED flash while charging, which is no good at all, when trying to get to sleep. I just want to be able to charge my phone overnight, without it keeping me awake. Surely, not too much to ask?

Cheers,

Simon.
    just hit the end key when its in bedside mode.
    05-24-09 03:53 PM
    Charge it in another room. And if you need it for phone calls during the night just turn it up. Or just close your eyes and go to sleep.

05-24-09 04:00 PM
    or set it to not go into bedside mode when charging
    05-24-09 04:17 PM
    Or you could turn it over??
    Lol maybe I'm misunderstanding
    This was my solution or you press the end key and select NO to leave bedside mode. The screen will then dim to black as normal.

05-25-09 02:58 AM
    Is there a reason you have it go into bedside mode in the first place? are you keeping that setting to mute any calls and msgs that come in overnight? I think if the end button routine wasn't working/convenient enough for ya, I would just go to the clock, hit menu, choose options, and change the When Charging box to Do Nothing.
    05-25-09 03:05 AM
    I use Bedside mode to turn the Radio off as soon as I put my phone in the cradle while it is charged.

The brightness of the clock bothered my for around 2 weeks, I am used to it right now....
    05-25-09 04:06 AM
    you can change the function of the device and what it does when you insert it into the charger.. one of the options being "do nothing"

the clock or nothing will appear.... this does not solve the flashing led but I thought I would throw it out there
    05-25-09 04:08 AM
    Press the end key. It will show menu icon and turn green off after mins.
    Unless I've misunderstood, the end key (being the red handset) just brings up the main screen. No options to turn green off.

I use Bedside mode to turn the Radio off as soon as I put my phone in the cradle while it is charged.
    Yes, that's what I want to do, except that I don't have a cradle yet.

Turning bedside mode off is not a solution, as it then notifies when messages are received. I guess I could put it in silent mode, or, as has been suggested, turn it over (I had actually thought of that), but it seems a bit silly that there's no option to have everything off while charging.
    05-25-09 05:27 AM
    Have you even TRIED going into the options OP?

I have had my phone since Dec and never have a LED blinking when charging, and my bedside mode isn't even on

In the clock app, press the BB Button, Options, scroll down to bedside mode, Choose "Yes" to disable the LED, "Yes" to disable Radio, "Yes" to dim the screen.

Then when you are ready to hit the sack, enter the clock app, press BB button, press Enter Bedside Mode, and you're good to go.

To shut off the LED normally:
    BB Button > Options > Screen/Keyboard > Led Coverage Indicator > Switch to off > Save

In the 6 months I've had this phone, the only time I've ever seen a green LED is when I dropped to low battery
    05-25-09 06:23 AM
    Have you even TRIED going into the options OP?
    Yes, thanks for the sarcasm. Is it really necessary?

I have had my phone since Dec and never have a LED blinking when charging, and my bedside mode isn't even on
    That's because it only blinks when the phone is powered off and charging.

In the clock app, press the BB Button, Options, scroll down to bedside mode, Choose "Yes" to disable the LED, "Yes" to disable Radio, "Yes" to dim the screen.
    Yes, that's what I've done, but it's still bright enough to be noticeable, and this is precisely my point. I want it to switch off completely.

Then when you are ready to hit the sack, enter the clock app, press BB button, press Enter Bedside Mode, and you're good to go.
    That should happen automatically when connecting to the charger.

To shut off the LED normally:
    BB Button > Options > Screen/Keyboard > Led Coverage Indicator > Switch to off > Save
    Already is.

In the 6 months I've had this phone, the only time I've ever seen a green LED is when I dropped to low battery
    That's probably because the phone isn't powered off while charging.
    05-25-09 06:46 AM
    OP, I've never shut my phone off. But I have no idea why one would want to shut their phone off...lol it baffles me

Don't shut your phone off, and when it's plugged in, just shut off the radio and the screen will dim on its own
    05-25-09 07:40 AM
    I have bedside mode off, and just put my sound profile on "phone calls only". the screen still dims and I don't get the alerts for text/email, but I can get a call if someone needs to reach me.
    05-25-09 11:07 AM
    And if you don't want any notification sounds at all, you can set the device's sound profile to "All Alerts Off". Everything will still come through on the phone, but it won't alert you to any of it. That way you don't have to worry about Bedside Mode and the clock being too bright.
    05-25-09 11:16 AM
    Thanks for the tips, guys. As a former SE and Nokia user, I'm just used to turning the thing off at night, and plugging it in to charge. Nothing as simple with a BB, so it seems!
    05-25-09 04:24 PM
    Try turning your screen brightness to 10% as well. I leave mine there all the time and it is perfect for Bedside Mode.
    05-26-09 04:22 PM
    I've had another idea. Get a case!
    05-26-09 05:15 PM
    or you can count how many times the light blinks, maybe it will help you sleep. You know like counting sheep!
    05-26-09 05:33 PM
    Lol! All I have to do now is find a case with a hole in it for the charger connection.
    05-26-09 05:35 PM
    On my BB Bold using the red key as suggested will bring up the main screen, but that will dim out completely after a minute or so. When I go back to the clock, the screen will dim down and then fade to black. Maybe returning to the home screen and knocking it out of it's original "show clock dimmed, but don't fade out completely" mode will let the backlight fade to black as it normally would?
    11-13-10 11:08 AM
    The solution is to set it in Bedside Mode, but don't set the clock to dim. That way, it dims right down automatically, as it would have done normally.
    11-14-10 04:24 AM
    Set your phone on a hyberpad at night. (a leather pads with sleeper magnets)

Use the "in hoster settings" to tailor how you want your BB to behave. let calls through or remain silent and send to voice mail etc.

The phone will be completely dark while on the hyberpad.

It will work with a skin but if you use a case with a magnet during the day this is not a good solution.
    11-14-10 07:23 PM
    you could also turn to your other side, while sleeping. I have a big bright digital alarm clock beside my bed, which would probably disturb most people I guess, not me. But again, I sleep like I'm in a deep coma or being shot in the head and died, according significant others.
    11-14-10 07:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD