That�s right� another thread on Wipe/No Wipe!!!!

First, please take it easy on me! I really am trying to learn. I have read numerous threads on this subject, but am still feeling slightly in the dark� hoping an expert will chine in once and for all.

I come from computer background where fdisk (My Friend) is the standard procedure for clean build. I know it and like it. It is simple and definitive. On the Berries - The wipe within device just clears user settings. Using the JL_Cmder� it seems to sort of wipe the device� but not really a full wipe, like fdisk for a computer. JL_Cmder wipe seems to delete some key boot information etc, but not everything. Only enough to make the device error out on boot (showing 507 error). Some information still seems to be on the device�

When I downgraded from .83 to .76, I used JL_Cmder to do wipe. I had de-installed all other versions and installed only .76. With device sitting at 507 error and vendor file deleted and no internet connection, I started DM and it still indicated that if I installed .76� it would be DOWNGRADING the device�

If it was a true wipe� it should not know that newer files exist (or existed) on device.

My question is - can you truly wipe the device clean� if you can�t then what is the point�? Does it really look at file versions during upgrade and not copy files if it sees that newer ones exist on device?

When I upgraded from .65 to .75 and later to .76, and later to .83� I did not wipe device. It seems like it was deleting / overwriting old OS files with newer files anyway�

I figured that if it leaves stuff behind it is more important to do a wipe prior to downgrading device software� you would definitely not want newer files if trying to downgrade OS�.

Is there a true wipe of device�? Does it really matter? Saying I think you should wipe every X amount of times prior to upgrading� seem speculative� at best.

When doing a regular upgrade, does it matter if you wipe�? Obviously OTA users will not be wiping device� so are they destined for failure�?
    If we are going to wipe device� what are the commands to really make it happen? Not the halfway�

Some engineer understands how the BB OS really works and I am hoping that they might jump in and better explain it.

Please help me better understand how this all works�!

Thanks again to the forums and BB community!!
    12-22-08 06:45 PM
    I would back up your device first then whipe, I have never had to do an OS upgrade yet( waiting on sprint) but I do recall reading somewear that it at the very least dose not hurt to whip before an upgrade
    12-22-08 06:55 PM
    Using JL is like re-formatting your hard drive. DM recognizes you're downgrading because of the last succesfull connection you made with your phone (PIN memorized).
    12-22-08 06:59 PM
    Anyone else...?
    12-22-08 07:38 PM
    the last post kinda pointed out "its like reformatting your HD) when its reformatted its basically brought down to factory settings, so I would back up then whip then upgrade and reload
    12-22-08 07:42 PM
    I've wondered about it myself but I'ev been reluctant to ask questions about it.

It seems like it doesn't matter if you wipe or not..
    Whats the difference between clearing everything out or just installing updates over older versions? Either way you have the same stuff in there..

I'm curious but I don't know that there is an advantage...
    12-22-08 07:42 PM
    I've wondered about it myself but I'ev been reluctant to ask questions about it.

It seems like it doesn't matter if you wipe or not..
    Whats the difference between clearing everything out or just installing updates over older versions? Either way you have the same stuff in there..

I'm curious but I don't know that there is an advantage...
    curious too. if you backup, wipe, upgrade, reload....isnt that the same as backup, upgrade, reload....i see the difference if you BU, wipe, Upgrade and start fresh...
    12-22-08 10:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD