Hello

I have a BB storm. I can send text messages to my home country, but I can not receive any from their end. I contacted VZW CS and they said it must be not having any routing agreements, so they cannot guarantee to receive international text messages.

Earlier I had a BB Pearl with T-Mobile. I had no problems receiving and sending international text to the same country.

Can anybody help me out? Or is the problem with the network?

Thank you
    12-31-08 12:28 PM
    Do you have a bar on your phone?

On my storm I've had no problem sending and receiving message from America.

If I were you, I would contact your provider and ask them why.
    12-31-08 12:31 PM
    What do you mean by a Bar?
    12-31-08 12:40 PM
    check here to see if your country is on the list
    12-31-08 01:28 PM
    Well on my network (Vodafone UK) I had a bar on international dialing, meaning I couldnt make calls outside the UK. After a while they lifted it and sent me a text saying it was lifted, I think I could have phoned up and got it removed by requestion - there is an option for it on my online billing.
    12-31-08 01:34 PM
    Yes its listed out there. Country is Sri Lanka
    12-31-08 01:34 PM
    I get texts to my phone in the US from 2 people in the UK.

One i know is on Orange in the UK not certain on the other..

I do however get 2 copies of every message from that person. The other works fine.
    12-31-08 01:52 PM
    Unfortunately, VZW can only guarantee delivery from their end. So, what you are experiencing is normal - you can send the SMS, but they might not be able to depending on the local carrier's agreements with Vodafone/VZW. I can text to Pakistan and sometimes I get a reply back (or I get 6 of the same texts) or sometimes I dont get a reply at all.

The reason you had no issues while on TMobile is because GSM to GSM works fine. It's the GSM to CDMA or vice versa that kills this.
    12-31-08 01:59 PM
    Unfortunately, VZW can only guarantee delivery from their end. So, what you are experiencing is normal - you can send the SMS, but they might not be able to depending on the local carrier's agreements with Vodafone/VZW. I can text to Pakistan and sometimes I get a reply back (or I get 6 of the same texts) or sometimes I dont get a reply at all.

The reason you had no issues while on TMobile is because GSM to GSM works fine. It's the GSM to CDMA or vice versa that kills this.
    I think thats the problem, even the CS told me the same thing in different words though.

What will happen I f I select GSM on my Storm rather than CDMA?
    12-31-08 02:05 PM
    Nothing. See, you cannot roam on a GSM network while IN the USA, even though it has quad bands. With it set to global, it will pick up wireless GSM signals once outside the USA.

I'm actually considering unlocking my Storm, then putting in a pay as you go SIM from Tmo or ATT...I do not know if you can simply switch to GSM mode and then use that to send/receive messages but it sure would be good.
    12-31-08 02:14 PM
    Thank you

I will give it a try. and I will suggest this idea to CS to see what they are going to say
    12-31-08 02:19 PM
    Hi

I had a discussion with VZW CS, the problem is because of GSM and CDMA issue.

I asked weather I can switch my BB Storm to GSM mode, so I can receive text messages, but they warned me if I do so it will work, but I will be charged for roaming fee.
    01-02-09 12:07 PM
    ^^^ that would be true IF you used the vodafone SIM....you would then be roaming and be charged for it.

What I had thought was and we need to confirm is: if you could get the storm unlocked, then put in another carrier's SIM (TMo or ATT) and then switch to GSM mode...that in no way should get you charged roaming....the only catch here would be you could not run the phone in dual mode and switch back and forth...or could you?
    01-02-09 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD