I had a Blackberry years ago a 7105T. It was ok. I "won" two Storms based on my Italian Vodafone contract points 2 weeks ago. I put one on Ebay and tried to like the other one. Unfortunately, I did not like the Blackberry experience. Once you register one of these things they are useless in other countries where you may have other contracts. Being used to WinMob, Blackberry really ties you down. I had put one of the two Storms on Ebay as a new in box item and it is approaching $400. I just put the used one on Ebay as well, starting at $50. I hate Microsoft but I have to admit that WinMob is really the only suitable system for people who travel and don't have a big company paying for email/data service. Besides, there are hardly any decent third party programs available for Blackberries, particularly the Storm. You folks should check out WinMob devices. They are far more versatile.

Ciao.
    Why don't you put this on your twitter feed so everybody who wants to read about it has the chance to, while everyone else gets spared.

Also this needs to be put in the Rants and Raves Forum.
    02-06-09 09:52 AM
    Do you think we don't have WinMo's here?? Had one----give me a blackberry anyday - my Treo was a nightmare. Oh and what great apps did they have may I ask?
    My Treo700WX had to be rebooted at least 4 times a day everyday.
    02-06-09 11:27 AM
    I had a Blackberry years ago a 7105T. It was ok. I "won" two Storms based on my Italian Vodafone contract points 2 weeks ago. I put one on Ebay and tried to like the other one. Unfortunately, I did not like the Blackberry experience. Once you register one of these things they are useless in other countries where you may have other contracts. Being used to WinMob, Blackberry really ties you down. I had put one of the two Storms on Ebay as a new in box item and it is approaching $400. I just put the used one on Ebay as well, starting at $50. I hate Microsoft but I have to admit that WinMob is really the only suitable system for people who travel and don't have a big company paying for email/data service. Besides, there are hardly any decent third party programs available for Blackberries, particularly the Storm. You folks should check out WinMob devices. They are far more versatile.

Ciao.
    Why do you hate Microsoft?
    02-06-09 11:43 AM
    The applications will come.... in time. I think lots of people didnt like their storms when they first got them, like me, but you just grow to love it!
    02-06-09 11:47 AM
    i have to disagree. i travel a lot for my job (in the states and internationally). My work phone just so happens to be a curve. Yes, you have to go through certain procedures to get everything you need but that it kind of expected. Because it is my work phone i don't know what all my company had to do but i have no problem is the countries i go. Don't blame blackberry because you didn't make sure you had enough ammo for your gun.... oh and WinMo sucks they are "Not for me"
    02-06-09 12:06 PM
    Your company is paying a lot of money for data roaming with your home carrier's SIM.

I don't have that kind of money so I use local SIMs. The BB is tied to the carrier and RIM through the PIN.

For another carrier to provide BB service, the original carrier has to "release" the PIN. No manner of service book downloads would allow a BB registered with Verizon to work with an O SIM as a BB.

Had I been able to understand that before receiving these Storms (and they were free) I would have known that the manner in which the BB operates in the RIM system was not consistent with the way I (and many colleagues by the way) operate whilst overseas.

As I said, it is a nice phone and great for people that stay in one carrier's area or can afford internationally roaming.
    02-06-09 12:50 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD