Next week I am going to the Dominican Republic (Santo Domingo area) for a little over a week. I currently have an unlocked Storm on the Verizon network, but after checking with them, the prices to use their services over there are CrAzY. I am looking for a very modest call feature but mostly interested in receiving my text messages and internet service while there.

Can anyone recommend a service or should I just pay the outrageous Verizon charges while there?
    04-06-09 03:06 PM
    i advise u get your self a pre-pay sim from DR... or go get yourslef a pre-paid edge card. and get one with unlimited data and like 400 mins and use it there.
    that 60.00 data and 2.00 a min from vz is CRAzY!!

i went to trinidad in feb and got a sim from there and used it and added mins as needed but didnt have internet no prepay sim there had data .. was only on there post pay accounts.
    04-06-09 04:13 PM
    yeah, pre-paid sim... ask for 1 with data
    04-06-09 05:26 PM
    The best way to go is to add Verizon's unlimited international data plan (~$1 extra per day), which can be prorated so you only have to pay for the days you are traveling, and then buy a local SIM card.

Then just toggle back and forth using "Manage Connects" as follows:
    - 1XEV for unlimited data and email access (also lets you know when you have a voicemail on your U.S. number)
    - GSM/UMTS to use your local SIM

Another trick is to buy a calling card that works in combination with your local carrier and program the number and access code into your speed dial.

In Israel I ended up paying $20 for a SIM card and $10 for a calling card with 300 minutes of call time (local or international). Plus the calling card billed by the second (no rounding up to the minute) so it lasted me over 2 weeks with frequent calls back to the U.S.
    04-06-09 06:20 PM
    I like the prepaid SIM card idea. But really no matter what I do will I have to pay the steep bucks for receiving Text messages there on my US number?
    04-06-09 09:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD