I will make my own ringtone or download a ringtone to my PC. I connect my Storm to my PC and i have tried a few different ways of putting the files (mp3) onto my device.

First i tried just dragging and dropping the file into the BB2 file onto my media card in the ringtone file and when i would disconnect my storm nothing was there. I reconnected the storm and it was still in the file very strange.

Second i deleted that file went into DM and used the Roxio Media Manager and did basically the same thing disconnected look in my ringtones on my Storm and nothing.

The only way they work is if i email them to myself but i want to know how to transfer them directly to my storm from my PC thank you in advance for the help
    01-03-09 01:50 AM
    Did you do a battery pull after placing the ringtones in the ringtones folder? i noticed when i had .75 I had to do this the first time to get my ringtones to display properly but after installing .85 I can add ringtones without a battery pull.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-09 02:01 AM
    i should have mentioned i do have .85 and when i would disconnect and i would go to the media on my phone it would say searching so i was like sweet it worked i would go into ringtones and not be there

do you place your ringtones into the ringtone file on your media card... thats where i put them and they are invisible when i start the phone i just dont seem to understand it...

Also i put a picture in phone with Roxio and it worked. I put the picture in the picture file and everything went just as planned ringtones nothing...
    Last edited by SRMartin15; 01-03-09 at 02:09 AM.
    01-03-09 02:05 AM
    Do the ringtones appear in the ringtones folder when you use explore mode (media>BB Key> Explore> navigate to where you have your ringtones) on the storm? If you transferred the ringtones to the device or media card it should appear in the respective location.

Edit: I just tested on my storm and no matter if I put a ringtone on the device or media card it shows for both locations.

Last edited by ArmaK; 01-03-09 at 02:12 AM.
    01-03-09 02:10 AM
    there all there when i explore but they dont show up when i go into ringtones in the media how odd is that???
    01-03-09 02:22 AM
    Do they play if you click on them while in explore mode?

01-03-09 02:31 AM
    yes they do which is good but they cant be selected as sms or mms or ect
    01-03-09 02:33 AM
    For some reason they don't show up in the media app...they never have for me anyway. But, if you go to your sound settings or contacts and look them up that way using "browse" and then go to your card or device memory they should show. Honestly, I'm not even sure why there is a ringtone player in the media app. Makes no sense to me.
    01-03-09 02:35 AM
    Now do a battery pull and see if they appear after.

01-03-09 02:36 AM
    unfortunately no luck with the battery pull i just dont seem to get it
    01-03-09 02:42 AM
    only way i find it really truly works is if i e-mail them to myself and when they get to me i download them from my phone into the ringtone file and then it works... its so odd might be a bug that the future OS will fix. I just checked the BB2 and all the files i downloaded from my e-mail on my phone are where i put them when i did it manually with the PC to Storm link. I cant explain it but its fine now.
    01-03-09 02:54 AM
    Try deleting the BBthumbs.dat file from the ringtone folder. That will force the Storm to reload the directory. On your computer (for WinXP) if you dont see the BBthumbs.dat file in your ringtone folder, you need to enable it to see hidden files. Go to Tools, folder options, view, hidden files and folders, and select show hidden files and folders. Also keep in mind, all new ringtones that I have added do not ever show up in alphabetical order, they show at end of list for some reason.
    01-03-09 07:59 AM
    I did the explore thing and just moved the sound to the ringtones folder and it showed up when I went into ringtones. It didn't show up till I did that.
    01-03-09 04:30 PM
    I have the same problem. Try pulling the sd card out for a couple sec. Also there are 2 diff. versions of .85 (or at least 2 diff numbers) 1 is PBr4.7.0_rel20 and the other is rel115.I had to use the 115. Maybe its just me?
    Last edited by mark1si; 01-03-09 at 05:23 PM.
    01-03-09 05:19 PM
    I have the same issue. All the new ones that I have made don't show up unless I explore. I am using .85 also, but it also did it with 83. Its a little frustrating.
    01-04-09 12:07 PM
    I had this issue just this afternoon, tried battery pulls and whatnot - after I followed turbod's suggestion to delete bbthumbs.dat it worked fine, even without a battery pull.
    01-06-09 02:02 PM
    put the ring tones on the device memorie not the media card.
    01-06-09 02:13 PM
    I never had this problem before until recently..I already knew what to with deleting the .dat file.. hmmm..It has to be some 3rd party app I just installed that's not allowing the cache to clear. Need to investigate
    01-11-09 12:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD