I currently have the Storm and have the same little quirks as everyone else. My biggest complaint is the touch keyboard and the lag time. I send about 1500 texts/month, so I really feel the Tour would be more text-friendly for me. What are your thoughts on if I should make the upgrade to the Tour?
    08-02-09 08:25 PM
    The Tour will probably be more text-friendly than the Storm in general, but the ability to text using 1 hand will likely be diminished.

No thoughts on whether you should upgrade to a Tour. Up to you. Go try it out.
    08-02-09 08:31 PM
    why the **** are you asking a bunch of storm users who never have played with a tour really? Ask the tour users, especially the ones that ditched the storm
    08-02-09 08:36 PM
    why the **** are you asking a bunch of storm users who never have played with a tour really? Ask the tour users, especially the ones that ditched the storm
    LOL ... you make me laugh!
    08-02-09 08:41 PM
    Get whatever you want.
    08-02-09 08:41 PM
    LOL ... you make me laugh!
    glad to be of some use in this forum....
    08-02-09 08:45 PM
    I would say the tour would be faster in general with more app memory.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-09 08:45 PM
    it's a matter of preference, really.

08-02-09 08:54 PM
    I just replied in another thread about the Tour. I tried both at the VzW store, my Storm and the Tour. Now .... I haven't had problems like some with my Storm. Still on the first one since day one, 11/21. With that being said, I didn't find the Tour to be faster then my Storm running .151. Some have said how much faster the browser is. I sure didn't see that.
    The Tour definitely has more memory, but with .151, my Storm is running with 41Mb free. Like I said in the other thread, if you like a physical keyboard, get a Tour. If you like a touch screen, the Storm is it. Remember, your trading half your screen for that keyboard!
    08-02-09 08:55 PM
    The Tour will probably be more text-friendly than the Storm in general, but the ability to text using 1 hand will likely be diminished.

No thoughts on whether you should upgrade to a Tour. Up to you. Go try it out.
    why would one handed texting be diminished? if anything it would be easier (at least for me) just based on the fact that it has a tactile keypad. since the tour is roughly the same size as the storm, most likely the buttons are too. with my curve (small buttons too) i made way fewer typing errors than on my storm (in portrait mode). also it was quicker and easier to use both hands for texting, something i still cant do with my storm. in fact i cant type at all in portrait on a storm, one or two handed. might just be my big thumbs though. truth be known, the only thing i dont like about the storm is the portrait typing, but im willing to make that sacrifice for the touch screen and having a bigger display. i just do most if not all typing in landscape.
    Last edited by wayfr; 08-02-09 at 08:58 PM.
    08-02-09 08:55 PM
    I would say the tour would be faster in general with more app memory.

its not really going to matter at all how much app memory each device has a storm running with 30 MBs will be just as fast as a tour running 100 MBs unless it has some crappy slow apps installed
    08-02-09 08:59 PM
    IMO, the Storm is the only BB to give the option to have full QWERTY and SureType/Multitap in Portrait and and full QWERTY in Landscape. It's highly unlikely for a full keyboard to be faster than SureType in Portrait with one hand. The keys in Suretype are fewer and bigger and takes less movement to move from letter to letter than a full keyboard with every single letter having an individual key.

No other BB can function like a Pearl and a true full keyboard BB.
    08-02-09 09:00 PM
    IMO, the Storm is the only BB to give the option to have full QWERTY and SureType/Multitap in Portrait and and full QWERTY in Landscape. It's highly unlikely for a full keyboard to be faster than SureType in Portrait with one hand. The keys in Suretype are fewer and bigger and takes less movement to move from letter to letter than a full keyboard with every single letter having an individual key.

and thats where my portrait problem comes into play. i wont use sure type or multi-tap. for me its either full qwerty or nothing. im kinda thinking about getting another curve though, or maybe a tour if they ever get to reasonable price on CL. around here people are selling unlocked tours for arond $600-700, and i aint spending that much on a damn phonethat in all likelihood wont be any better for me except in texting. im only 1/2 serious about replacing my storm though. aside from not being able to portrait type on it, its been perfect for me. chances are im just going to stick with the storm though.
    08-02-09 09:08 PM
    honestly i was against suretype for quite a while, i tried it again recently and have to admit, its pretty damn smooth once you get the hang of it
    08-02-09 09:11 PM
    i didnt like sure type on the pearl and i like it even less on the storm
    who knows? maybe one day ill try it again. to be honest, i really didnt give it much of a chance on the storm. i just remember how much i hated the pearl because of it and thats what ultimately led to its demise
    08-02-09 09:19 PM
    Ooooo, touchy!
    08-02-09 09:26 PM
    get the 8703e. Its freakin dope. Way better than the Tour IMO!
    08-03-09 12:26 AM
    To answer the OP, I traded in the Storm for the Tour on Tuesday and it definitely is faster for texting. I am still getting used to the keyboard on the Tour but one handed I already type just as fast as I did on my Storm on portrait, I used full QWERTY. Two handed is where the difference is, I can type much faster on the Tour and I'm sure I'm only going to get faster. The Storm's click screen would only allow me to type so fast before I started hitting multiple keys before the screen would pop up so it wouldn't register the keystrokes.
    08-03-09 12:36 AM
    honestly i was against suretype for quite a while, i tried it again recently and have to admit, its pretty damn smooth once you get the hang of it
    Same here. In the beginning I hated it,but if you give it a couple of weeks it grows on you.
    08-03-09 12:44 AM
    i would never be able to give up the screen size of my storm
    08-03-09 09:00 AM
    Remember, your trading half your screen for that keyboard!
    this

and this

once you master SureType you can type so fast and accurate it's insane. i never thought i'd be able to match the speeds i cranked out on previous full keyboard devices (sidekick & voyager) and probably couldn't with the qwerty keyboards on the storm. but once i really learned SureType, which didn't take long, i realized i actually preferred it to typing on a physical keyboard. plus you don't have to settle for a half screen!

don't let anyone say you can't pound out messages on the storm. i do a ridiculous amount of typing on mine on a daily basis. i keep saying i'm going to make a youtube video demonstrating speed typing using SureType to clear up the misconception that you can't get it done. i'm gonna have to do it!
    08-03-09 09:25 AM
    I don't even see why people compare the Storm and the Tour.
    08-03-09 09:30 AM
    Ive played with both, and they both have the advantages and disadvantages.

I really like the touchscreen with the storm, makes it very smooth to navigate through web pages.

But I do miss having a true Qwert keyboard.. I miss the feel

It comes down to what you like and what you want out of a phone
    08-03-09 09:33 AM
    SureType is amazing but I'm sure I could still hammer out messages quicker and more accurately on a physical keyboard
    08-03-09 10:16 AM
    i didnt like sure type on the pearl and i like it even less on the storm
    who knows? maybe one day ill try it again. to be honest, i really didnt give it much of a chance on the storm. i just remember how much i hated the pearl because of it and thats what ultimately led to its demise
    I also hated suretype at first because it's inaccurate for typing acronyms, urls and non standard english. But I've found that it is just the fastest way to type even faster than a full landscape Qwerty. What I do is use portrait with two thumbs then switch to landscape when I know Suretype is going to choke. Also Suretype learns as you go so if you take the time to correct the suretype the next time you key that word it will remember that occurrence first.

=X=
    08-03-09 10:30 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD