does it do anything? is it like a mute button or when you click it does it let you change your sound profile? i've had my phone since the beginning of march or even before that and i still dont know the purpose of it
    04-23-09 01:03 AM
    I think this is to switch between speaker and handset during a call... Never properly tried, but will do so now and re-post result.
    04-23-09 01:09 AM
    Its the mute button

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-09 01:11 AM
    Just tried - it's a mute button. Pressing it toggles mute on and off during a call. Not sure whether it has any other uses???

Glad I spotted your post, and finally found out what this is for too
    04-23-09 01:12 AM
    ...And that post moved me from "Newbie" to "User" - thanks again
    04-23-09 01:14 AM
    It is also the mute button for music and movies...I believe it actually works as a pause button during music and movies instead of muting, that way you don't lose your spot. I use it at work when I have to pause a movie to actually earn my keep.
    04-23-09 01:38 AM
    Just curious, did the little speaker with a line through it not give it away?
    04-23-09 02:22 AM
    wow.. I wish my sprint phone had a mute button.. thats cool never knew what that button was for..
    04-23-09 07:09 AM
    If you have a case with a magnet (puts the phone into standby) and a new OS, holding that button while it's in the case will make the phone go between normal ringer and courtesy mode.
    04-23-09 07:26 AM
    If you have a case with a magnet (puts the phone into standby) and a new OS, holding that button while it's in the case will make the phone go between normal ringer and courtesy mode.
    Only while the phone is ringing though.

04-23-09 07:54 AM
    It also changes from normal profile to vibrate profile but that's only in .75 it does not work in the newer Os es

Edit: the phone has to be locked for the above to work
    04-23-09 08:12 AM
    ...but that's only in .75 it does not work in the newer Os es
    That's disappointing.
    04-23-09 08:49 AM
    Yeah it mutes yourself during calls, pauses media, and in .75 it switches between silent/vibrate and normal sound profiles.
    04-23-09 09:11 AM
    Doesn't anybody RTFM?
    04-23-09 10:32 AM
    Doesn't anybody RTFM?
    No.

Stupid question.
    04-23-09 10:59 AM
    No.

Stupid question.
    Hah.

Anyways, I didn't know it toggled between ringer and vibrate in early OS releases - that's exactly what I'd like to do. I never need to mute calls and I very rarely use the device for video or music, so the button is kind of useless for me, while I'd really like to be able to shut the phone up before a meeting without having to take it out of my pocket and unlock the screen.
    04-23-09 11:03 AM
    It also changes from normal profile to vibrate profile but that's only in .75 it does not work in the newer Os es

That's only sort of correct. The phone isn't locked in the case. It's in standby mode. Holding the shoulder button down while it's in the case will change from normal to vibrate. I'm running .132 and it still works.

But you're correct in the fact that the functionality was removed after .75 for changing the profile while locked.
    04-24-09 06:15 AM

I am running official .114 and it still works to toggle the between normal and vibrate while it the holster.

Just tried it.
    04-24-09 10:13 AM
    Its the mute button

04-24-09 10:15 AM
    Doesn't anybody RTFM?
    ready the funky monkey?

disco died my friend...let it be
    04-24-09 10:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD