Hey I was taking apart my phone and ran into a problem. When I was putting it back together, I stripped one of the screws and now I can no longer screw it in/out because the screwdriver just slips when I turn it. I'm not sure how I can get the screw out or fully in, but I need to do either one. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
    02-15-09 09:04 AM
    Hey I was taking apart my phone and ran into a problem. When I was putting it back together, I stripped one of the screws and now I can no longer screw it in/out because the screwdriver just slips when I turn it. I'm not sure how I can get the screw out or fully in, but I need to do either one. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
    did the threads strip or the the screw head strip?

It sounds like you just rounded out the screw head which is better news. I don't know if they make them that small, but there is a tool called an easy out. It's designed so that as you turn it counter-clockwise it will "bite" into the screw and twist it out. If they don't make an easy out that small, you can look into reverse drill bits. Same idea, different tool.

with either tool, you'll want to make sure you go very slowly. So if your only choice is a reverse drill bit, make sure you use a variable speed drill and take it easy.

good luck
    02-15-09 11:11 AM
    can you grap the edges of the screw with needle nose pliers?
    02-15-09 11:17 AM
    I don't think they make easyout tools this small.

One option you have is to take a small drop of superglue and bond the screwdriver to the top of the screw (positioned as well within the original opening for the driver as possible). Let it dry for 30 minutes. Then slowly try to turn the screw out. If you're successful, then just separate the driver and screw and clean up the driver with acetone or superglue cleaner.
    02-15-09 11:45 AM
    I don't think they make easyout tools this small.

One option you have is to take a small drop of superglue and bond the screwdriver to the top of the screw (positioned as well within the original opening for the driver as possible). Let it dry for 30 minutes. Then slowly try to turn the screw out. If you're successful, then just separate the driver and screw and clean up the driver with acetone or superglue cleaner.
    Oooh, I vote for this idea.

I usually work on trucks, cars, and motorcycles so I never would have even thought of that.
    02-15-09 12:53 PM
    You may still be able to turn it using a flat blade jewelers screwdriver, as a matter of fact that is what I used to adjust my screen click and I took apart my 8830 and put it back together a couple of times using one.
    02-15-09 02:09 PM
    If you were able to get the screw out with the superglue method, how would you go about getting it back in? Are there replacement screws available somewhere?
    03-28-09 02:26 PM
    did the threads strip or the the screw head strip?

It sounds like you just rounded out the screw head which is better news. I don't know if they make them that small, but there is a tool called an easy out. It's designed so that as you turn it counter-clockwise it will "bite" into the screw and twist it out. If they don't make an easy out that small, you can look into reverse drill bits. Same idea, different tool.

with either tool, you'll want to make sure you go very slowly. So if your only choice is a reverse drill bit, make sure you use a variable speed drill and take it easy.

good luck
    they are very rare but they do make them that small....

and for op go to a store like sears or home seopt to find out what hes talking about
    03-28-09 02:30 PM
    Has anybody tried the superglue method? I am going to try it...just wanted to see if anyone had successes with that...thanks!
    06-24-09 12:00 PM
    When using superglue on metal to metal, it may take more than 30 minutes to cure
    06-24-09 12:09 PM
    Good to know! Thanks for your help Charmed Juan!
    06-24-09 12:32 PM
    Any time I round out a head on a screw or the head of a specific bolt I will take it to a machine shop and have them custom made and I have about 5-10 made based on need. I'm not sure if a machine shop could make something that small. They probably can if you take them the old screw. It's worth a try!

06-24-09 08:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD