Can you guys share some of your tips to help save your battery? What settings is your screen brightness, etc, under?
    12-06-08 02:18 AM
    yeah, update your phone
    12-06-08 02:21 AM
    I've upgraded to your leak so far . Not ready to go with the official VZW just yet. Will probably wait for .76
    12-06-08 02:26 AM
    I've upgraded to your leak so far . Not ready to go with the official VZW just yet. Will probably wait for .76
    nothing to wait for .076 is here

and instructions here , once youve dlded.
    12-06-08 02:48 AM
    I have a copy of all the 9530 releases that have come out so far, official and not. But that is for me alone, so no one ask me to send them something. I don't want to spend all day emailing them to everyone.
    12-06-08 02:52 AM
    I turned down the brightness down to 10 from 100. too bad the Storm didnt have a light sensor (or does it?) to automatically adjust the light brightness.
    12-06-08 02:58 AM
    I turned down the brightness down to 10 from 100. too bad the Storm didnt have a light sensor (or does it?) to automatically adjust the light brightness.
    It has one. There are some bugs in its use but its in there.
    12-06-08 03:07 AM
    One good way to save battery life is to close applications you're not using. Hold down the BB button and look at what apps are in the manager that pops up then click on apps that you're not using and close them by pressing the BB button and selecting close or exit. Make sure you don't have mapping software thats accessing your GPS all the time in the background or something silly like that.

Also some have found that going into Options > Mobile Network and changing Network Technology from Global to 1XEV has helped them. I can't say its made much difference for me.
    12-06-08 03:11 AM
    I would think turning off bluetooth if ur not using it would help also.
    12-06-08 03:20 AM
    I would think turning off bluetooth if ur not using it would help also.

some people say no and some people say yes..

I say turning it off helps..

when the radio is turned on it will constantly accept a signal.. to me that means that its constantly searching.. just my thoughts..
    12-06-08 04:45 AM
    • Use Standby Mode when ever possible. This is the single most important thing you can do.
    • Close apps via Menu, Exit when you have finished with them.
    • Stay in high signal areas. Nothing drains a battery faster than a phone seeking a tower.
    • Use 2G unless you need the speed.
    • Shut off Bluetooth unless you need it. The drain is not great but every little helps, right?
    • Use Auto On / Off every night. Go to Options Auto On / Off.
    • Only charge using the original BlackBerry wall charger - yes really. again a search will reveal that this is, in fact true.
    Get AutoStandby (serach in the 3rd party app forum) it runs on your phone. There is a thread in the forum and the developper will drectly answer questions. AutoStandby costs less than 5 bucks.
    12-06-08 05:32 AM
    nothing to wait for .076 is here
    Sweet. Now all I have to do is get my Storm delivered.
    12-06-08 05:32 AM
    Watch apps that constantly update and change the update rate.

Weatherbug cuts my battery time in half.
    12-19-08 09:44 PM

Weatherbug cuts my battery time in half.
    indeed it does. i uninstalled mine and my battery life is noticeably longer.
    12-19-08 09:49 PM
    [LIST][*]Use Standby Mode when ever possible. This is the single most important thing you can do.

Get AutoStandby (serach in the 3rd party app forum) it runs on your phone. There is a thread in the forum and the developper will drectly answer questions. AutoStandby costs less than 5 bucks.
    Just to be clear, the Storm doesn't have a 'standby mode'. You'll need to buy the 3rd party app Pete mentions. Just didn't want anyone to go looking for something that ain't there.
    12-19-08 10:09 PM
    it is standby.....

when you hit the power button, it will go to standby, not turn off, the battery still runs with a small amount. if it was completely off, it will take 5 minutes to restart like it normally takes when you reboot.
    12-19-08 10:17 PM
    If you haven't allready, and don't use them ... delete VZ Nav and visual voice mail ... that helped alot for mine, seeing as those 2 are allways running ... and upgrading to .75 helped too ... once again, if you haven't allready
    12-19-08 10:18 PM
    it is standby.....

when you hit the power button, it will go to standby, not turn off, the battery still runs with a small amount. if it was completely off, it will take 5 minutes to restart like it normally takes when you reboot.
    I didn't realize that. Thanks
    12-19-08 10:19 PM
    Make sure you have a case that puts the phone to sleep using a magnet. Without it every time you bump the phone's touch screen it will light up and use battery life.
    12-19-08 10:39 PM
    Just to be clear, the Storm doesn't have a 'standby mode'. You'll need to buy the 3rd party app Pete mentions. Just didn't want anyone to go looking for something that ain't there.
    The Storm does have a standby mode, but currently you can't manually trigger it on the phone. If you have a case/holster with a magnet, then the Storm will go into standby when it detects the magnet.
    12-19-08 10:45 PM
    it is standby.....

Not quite. Standby can only be triggered with a magnet. In the future, hopefully RIM enables you to hold the mute button to trigger standby just like other BBs. In standby, the screen & buttons are off, but your phone is still capable of receiving calls/data.

When you hit/hold the power button, it does not go into standby. It turns off the phone, but does not fully power off (e.g., warm off, not cold off). The screen is off and the radio is off (so you don't receive data/calls). To get the phone to completely power off you have to pull out the battery.
    12-19-08 10:48 PM
    could the fact that the mute button in .83 no longer toggles between sound profiles mean that RIMM is prepping the Storm's mute button to trigger standby in a future upgrade?
    12-19-08 10:53 PM
    The Storm does have a standby mode, but currently you can't manually trigger it on the phone. If you have a case/holster with a magnet, then the Storm will go into standby when it detects the magnet.
    No way am I covering this sweet device in a case/holster and the power off button work-aroudn doesn't work for me either. It still takes too long to come back on.

I want what I had with my other BB devices: hold down the mute button for a few seconds to engage standby mode.
    12-19-08 10:54 PM
    hold down the mute button for a few seconds to engage standby mode.
    Agreed. I think this was a big oversight on RIM's part, but I don't think it should be too difficult to add in a firmware update.
    12-19-08 11:06 PM
    I agree. It'll happen. I think it was just an oversight.
    12-19-08 11:10 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD