if i'm thinking of buying a BB on craigslist, is there something I can ask for from the seller to lower the risk of me being scammed..?
    03-05-09 04:49 PM
    Ask him if he can give you the serial number (ESN or MEID) off the phone, and call verizon to make sure the phone is not hotlined or on the lost & stolen list. Double check on the back of the phone or in the phone software that the serial number matches what he gave you, when you get the phone.
    03-05-09 04:51 PM
    i got mine off craigsist
    03-05-09 04:52 PM
    With all the problems people are having, make sure you don't get a crappy device, no way to get it replaced then.
    03-05-09 04:54 PM
    is the ESN/MEID something that people normally give away?

can't you hack into the phone with that information or something..>? sorry, if that is a stupid question... a newbie.
    03-05-09 04:55 PM
    when you meet the guy, have a vzw rep on the line and read vzw the ESN with the seller standing right there. if there are any problems and if the ESN cannot be activated, walk away with your money

other than the ESN, just make sure the phone actually works and is in described condition.

get as much personal info out of the guy as possible too lol
    03-05-09 04:58 PM
    I bought a curve on Craigs list and after a month it was no good. Verizon said the insurance I was paying didn't cover my phone because I didn't buy it from them. BE careful. I was out 200$
    03-05-09 05:06 PM
    If you pay for insurance it won't cover that phone. My curve off of Craigs List died after a month, and Verizon said I was not covered, because I did not buy it from them. I was out 200$
    03-05-09 05:08 PM
    I bought a curve on Craigs list and after a month it was no good. Verizon said the insurance I was paying didn't cover my phone because I didn't buy it from them. BE careful. I was out 200$
    well yea, it's like buying something from circuit city and expecting best buy to cover it.

There's an inherent risk, but often times you can get a decent deal on something someone's trying to get rid of. Most of the time though, if you follow the steps posted above you should be ok.

Just be aware OP that there wouldn't be a warranty on the device as well, as this raises that point as well.
    03-05-09 05:08 PM
    If you pay for insurance it won't cover that phone. My curve off of Craigs List died after a month, and Verizon said I was not covered, because I did not buy it from them. I was out 200$
    Interesting... I had bought phones off ebay and I was able to do a claim through Asurion. Maybe I just got lucky...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-09 07:56 PM
    With all the problems people are having, make sure you don't get a crappy device, no way to get it replaced then.
    not true...the phone warranty transfers with the device. I bought a used one and had it switched under warranty.
    03-05-09 08:37 PM
    why don't u just meet the person inside a verizon store... i did the same thing when i bought my treo 650 off of craigslist a while ago. that way you dont have to worry about your safety and you'll know right away if the phone is a working one or not.
    03-05-09 08:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD