May be old, but some people never saw this like myself. Thanks, mine was set to Global.
    I'm with ya. Thanks for the heads up. the "Tips" section is fricken so full of stuff it's hard to find specifics like this.
    01-17-09 03:36 PM
    One advantage of keeping the Storm in "Global" mode would be the ability to make 911 calls in an area that happened to have GSM coverage but not CDMA coverage. Not that with "the network" that would ever happen!
    01-17-09 03:49 PM
    Mine was on global :X
    01-17-09 04:11 PM
    Well once again I searched about 10 different keywords one by one to find any topics on the ENTIRE FORUM, not just for the storm, and found nothing except for a thread on removing the SIM card or something.. but nothing on what it improves, not to mention as some people dont want to hassle of taking out the SIM card..

The point is that this seems to be something of HIGH IMPORTANCE for ALL users to know, and my point was something like this should have its own topic (if it exists, find it and post the link here because I am curious why I never found it). If it does have its own topic and clearly states the issue in the subject (such as mine does) then is it a sticky? Cause I should have see that right off the bat somewhere, but I didn't.

If it was in the ULTIMATE TIPS thread, I didn't see it in the main original post with most of the tips there, and I as a user would not plan on going through every post to find it, especially if I wasn't looking for that specifically and never knew about it.

So again, I did my job and searched all I could before I posted this, rather its been posted or not already, many people (as you see all the posts prior to this) including myself have never seen this posted anywhere and never knew about this.

I feel if more people that are replying to this saying its a great tip and they didn't know that, and some are replying in my defence, some even having over 1000 posts and they've never seen it themselves anywhere, compared to few people saying smarta** comments like "No offence 'Mr Mod' but its been on here for awhile and known about" -- well do yourself a favor and read everyone else's comments again as I said, the ratio is 90 didnt know / 10 already knew or saw another post -- i think what ticked me the most was mainly just the one user making that smartallic comment starting out with the "Well mr Mod". So sorry I do not live on here 15 hours a day and and def not going to spend hours trying to find and dig through old posts (if they really exist about this). It ticks that I actually spent a decent amount of my time to post this info to help more people than not and I get bashed for it. I just don't get it.

If someone (mod, admin) really has a problem with this thread because it may be double posting of some same information, then i think it would be useful to find the original post, make it a sticky, change the subject to something that is more eye catching about this, or do so to this thread.

Thats all I have to say. I'm glad I helped most of you out with this tip , and I am so so so so so sorry that I had to post some "old news" to some of you "verteran" users thats either been here for awhile or is on here a lot and saw something about this awhile ago.

Just a few posts that more people saw this usefule even if it has been posted already. somewhere????

I'm with ya. Thanks for the heads up. the "Tips" section is fricken so full of stuff it's hard to find specifics like this.
    As a Crackberry n00b, this is some good info!!
    Thanks, I didn't see this also, so I'll be setting it up to 1XEV.
    Thanks! this has helped my browser speed...
    May be old, but some people never saw this like myself. Thanks, mine was set to Global.
    I too chose this option on initial setup just because it made more sense. I did not not it would benefit in any way from having set the other way. Informative post for sure...even if people have it set this way already.
    Mine was on global :X
    Last edited by dpiffy; 01-17-09 at 05:00 PM. Reason: added quotes posts
    01-17-09 04:51 PM
    No offense Mr. Mod, but that tip is posted in so many locations it would be difficult to count them all.
    I've found a TON of nice tips and trick in this "tips and tricks" thread. Take a gander...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/ult...s-only-100612/
    Ok so I just saw your post showing this link after the fact that I posted my last post. So yeah, I proved my point, you gave me a link to that "ultimate official tips" thread that I was talking about. I searched the whole 1st page and didn't see it. That's a 53 page thread (as of the time I posted this) and I am not about to sift through all those pages before I posted this, considering I did search all boards and didn't find anything with such keywords as (gsm, global, etc).

And once again, its obviously posted somewhere, but not easily seen to new people or even someone that may have been here for awhile and missed it when it was posted. If they are surfing through a few pages or jsut here to post their own questions comments, if they didn't see some eye catching subject to a topic like this is, then they would never have known about it.

"How to get rid SIM card reject" -- what if someone doesn't have that issue, but they are still in GSM / Global mode? They would have never looked there. This is just my point.
    Last edited by dpiffy; 01-17-09 at 05:07 PM.
    01-17-09 04:55 PM
    nice to know, thanks
    01-17-09 05:05 PM
    i just pulled my sim card lol. that works just fine. then it dont rec that it has a sim and bam
    I took my sim card after I upgraded to .83. I then upgraded to .85 (Didn't know about this- so I didn't check it then) I then wiped and upgraded to .86. Hated it and downgraded back to .85. I just checked while reading this post- I was never promted during any of the new OS updates.- and it was set to "global". Now keep in mind I have done 3 os updates since I pulled my SIM, and I was in global mode. So i'm not so sure if not having a SIM will dodge the bullet.
    01-17-09 05:23 PM
    Ok so I just saw your post showing this link after the fact that I posted my last post. So yeah, I proved my point, you gave me a link to that "ultimate official tips" thread that I was talking about. I searched the whole 1st page and didn't see it. That's a 53 page thread (as of the time I posted this) and I am not about to sift through all those pages before I posted this, considering I did search all boards and didn't find anything with such keywords as (gsm, global, etc).

And once again, its obviously posted somewhere, but not easily seen to new people or even someone that may have been here for awhile and missed it when it was posted. If they are surfing through a few pages or jsut here to post their own questions comments, if they didn't see some eye catching subject to a topic like this is, then they would never have known about it.

"How to get rid SIM card reject" -- what if someone doesn't have that issue, but they are still in GSM / Global mode? They would have never looked there. This is just my point.
    I have been reading the tips and tricks pages being a new storm owner and I haven't seen this subject. Mine was on global so I appreciate the tip very much. I have been trying to find information on my own and not bother people with the same questions they get over and over but I wouldn't have known to even look for something like this. the tips and tricks section is not the easiest place to find anything in imo.
    01-17-09 05:55 PM
    01-17-09 06:15 PM
    I have been reading the tips and tricks pages being a new storm owner and I haven't seen this subject. Mine was on global so I appreciate the tip very much. I have been trying to find information on my own and not bother people with the same questions they get over and over but I wouldn't have known to even look for something like this. the tips and tricks section is not the easiest place to find anything in imo.
    I agree.

nice to know, thanks
    You're welcome.

I took my sim card after I upgraded to .83. I then upgraded to .85 (Didn't know about this- so I didn't check it then) I then wiped and upgraded to .86. Hated it and downgraded back to .85. I just checked while reading this post- I was never promted during any of the new OS updates.- and it was set to "global". Now keep in mind I have done 3 os updates since I pulled my SIM, and I was in global mode. So i'm not so sure if not having a SIM will dodge the bullet.
    I think it helps taking it out, but it may still have that option set as Global as you said, I don't know if that would stil affect the service or not. That I am not sure about, maybe someone else knows for sure?

I'm fine now, I just felt like I was getting bashed by all these people and then you made the comment the way you did, it sounded like you were mocking me which ticked me off quite honestly. Thank you for the links. I didn't read any of the links you provides EXCEPT for the last one "Mobile Network Selection" as that is the only one that caught my attention. It shows that was posted weeks ago. I wish for something like this issue (and the same one posted in that link) it would be made a sticky, cause I think this is really something that needs to be easily noticed by every person getting on here so they all know, and it isn't. Make sense? Can anyone that knows a mod or admin, or if one of you are reading this, again I am requesting to make this a sticky? Or maybe the other one at least, I don't care if it's this one or the older existing one, I think it just needs to be done and would help so so many people.

Thanks.
    01-17-09 06:23 PM
    I do this just because it reduces battery drain since you are turing off one of the other radios and not having it constantly search or compete for a better signal. Could be total BS on my part but it is what I believe so I do it and believe it works. I will turn it on when I do leave the US though but for now it is off.
    Either way have not had to many issues doing it both ways on or off.
    01-17-09 06:26 PM
    I do this just because it reduces battery drain since you are turing off one of the other radios and not having it constantly search or compete for a better signal. Could be total BS on my part but it is what I believe so I do it and believe it works. I will turn it on when I do leave the US though but for now it is off.
    Either way have not had to many issues doing it both ways on or off.
    Makes sense to me, and I would believe that it would help improve the battery. i believe that the VZW tech I talked to mentioned something about it helping the battery as well. So you could very well be correct on this. Thanks.
    01-17-09 06:30 PM
    Thanks for the tip! I seem to be getting better internet performance.
    01-17-09 06:42 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD