I am a Mod over on Storm-Blackberry.com -- and as I posted an important topic that proved VERY useful to many members, it seemed to improve not only their service, signal, etc but their data like the browser speed. I experience improvement in all of them.

A lot of people don't realize this, but when you first turned on your Storm 9530 for the very first time, OR after each time you are installing a new OS and the initial restart occurs, when it turns on you are faced with a pop up question asking something about "Recognized a SIM card, do you want to be in Global mode?" Really it should be NO! UNLESS you are going to be going out of country or currently are out of the U.S., then have it in Global or GSM. IT NEEDS TO BE IN 1XEV when you are residing in the U.S.

What happens when you have it in Global while in the US is it will basically "fight" over different towers of different carriers, such as between verizon and AT&T, and will cause all sorts of problems with your phone.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND EVERYONE check their phone by going to the following options:
    Options > Mobile Network >
    Data Options: On
    Network Selection Mode: Automatic
    Network Technology: 1XEV

Make sure all your settings reflect the above. The "Network technology" on your phone will more than likely be in the global setting, and as I have already stated numerous times, that is NOT what you want it to be in.

(ADMIN / MODS - COULD YOU MAKE THIS A STICKY SINCE THIS IS SOMETHING IMPORTANT AND ALL STORM USERS SHOULD NOTE AND CHECK THIS!)
    Last edited by dpiffy; 01-17-09 at 02:05 AM. Reason: NOTE FOR ADMIN/MODS
    01-17-09 01:45 AM
    Interesting. What kinds of problems are we talking about? I've had my Storm on Global the whole time that I've owned it (which is basically since the day after release) and never experienced any problems other than when using leaked OSes, which I promptly ditched. Never had a problem when on official releases, though.
    01-17-09 01:47 AM
    Well per several people I know that work for Verizon, and one even that used to work for Cingular (now AT&T), told me with it being in Global, it connects to mixed modes (which would be useful when traveling globally, but not just in the USA). What happens is with AT&T towers fighting over your phones signal between their's and Verizons, you may experience lower signal service than normal, dropped calls (POSSIBLY), which lower signal, especially if on another service, WILL affect your VZW data usage as well, such as your browser, myspace, facebook, etc.

I found this out when I was experiencing my browser working fine, then after awhile, it stopped working, as well as myspace and facebook (which uses the data/browser). I seemed to find the only way I could get it to work again was to either reset phone or d/c the network and reconnect. The data tech I talked to and I realized I had my phone in Global mode, and that is when he explained all this to me. As soon as I changed it, even my browser seemed to run faster and download things much faster. Now I can't promise you faster speeds in the browser for sure, but it can def. affect rather it does or not at the same time.
    01-17-09 02:01 AM
    i just pulled my sim card lol. that works just fine. then it dont rec that it has a sim and bam
    01-17-09 02:42 AM
    This can also improve general battery life even when your simply carrying the phone and not actively using it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-09 02:46 AM
    i just pulled my sim card lol. that works just fine. then it dont rec that it has a sim and bam
    True, you are correct. But if you are like me, I would rather keep that SIM in the phone and not bother with that, as well as in the case that I, or someone, would misplace their SIM card when they would maybe end up needing it or what not. Changing the setting, if you even need to is going to be a one time change, unless you upgrade, then all you have to do is select no on that question when the phone first turns on after a OS update.
    01-17-09 02:54 AM
    I've had it in 1XEX mode since day one.
    01-17-09 03:43 AM
    This has been in our Tips & Tricks since mid-December. Probably don't need another sticky.
    01-17-09 04:02 AM
    I've had it in 1XEX mode since day one.
    Me too man

01-17-09 06:12 AM
    When I first activated my Storm I too answered "Yes" to the global mode question.

When I dialed *228 to program my phone I got a "Welcome to ATT activation" voice greeting. I was very shocked. I hung up and changed my setting to 1XEV dialed *228 again and heard the "Welcome to Verizon activation" voice greeting.

I have an ATT tower very close to my house.

I know this because a few years ago I saw a roaming fee on my account. I of course looked closer and checked the number/date and determined the "roaming call" was made when I was sitting in my house!

I called Verizon and the CS agent I spoke to said my call hit an ATT tower. Verizon also removed the roaming charge.
    01-17-09 07:18 AM
    I've been doing that ever since I saw it in the Tips and Tricks thread. However, since I have upgraded to .86, it asks me if I want it to choose the service every time that I reboot. I think I'm going to pull the SIM card and put it in the Storm's box (so I don't lose it).
    01-17-09 07:40 AM
    I am a Mod over on Storm-Blackberry.com -- and as I posted an important topic that proved VERY useful to many members, it seemed to improve not only their service, signal, etc but their data like the browser speed. I experience improvement in all of them.

A lot of people don't realize this, but when you first turned on your Storm 9530 for the very first time, OR after each time you are installing a new OS and the initial restart occurs, when it turns on you are faced with a pop up question asking something about "Recognized a SIM card, do you want to be in Global mode?" Really it should be NO! UNLESS you are going to be going out of country or currently are out of the U.S., then have it in Global or GSM. IT NEEDS TO BE IN 1XEV when you are residing in the U.S.

What happens when you have it in Global while in the US is it will basically "fight" over different towers of different carriers, such as between verizon and AT&T, and will cause all sorts of problems with your phone.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND EVERYONE check their phone by going to the following options:
    Options > Mobile Network >
    Data Options: On
    Network Selection Mode: Automatic
    Network Technology: 1XEV

Make sure all your settings reflect the above. The "Network technology" on your phone will more than likely be in the global setting, and as I have already stated numerous times, that is NOT what you want it to be in.

(ADMIN / MODS - COULD YOU MAKE THIS A STICKY SINCE THIS IS SOMETHING IMPORTANT AND ALL STORM USERS SHOULD NOTE AND CHECK THIS!)
    This is already in the sticky section of the Tips section:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/so...jected-122706/
    01-17-09 08:27 AM
    I've always set my global BBs to 1XEV if I don't travel with them. Just makes sense.
    01-17-09 11:26 AM
    Thanks for the tip!
    01-17-09 12:17 PM
    Old news
    01-17-09 12:25 PM
    Thanks.......lost 2 bars....back to global

01-17-09 12:31 PM
    But my internet runs faster so scratch that lol

01-17-09 12:32 PM
    I too chose this option on initial setup just because it made more sense. I did not not it would benefit in any way from having set the other way. Informative post for sure...even if people have it set this way already.
    01-17-09 01:27 PM
    Thanks for telling people but yeah we did find this a while ago in the tips/tricks thread.
    01-17-09 01:30 PM
    May be old, but some people never saw this like myself. Thanks, mine was set to Global.
    01-17-09 01:39 PM
    Thanks! this has helped my browser speed...
    01-17-09 01:50 PM
    Thanks, I didn't see this also, so I'll be setting it up to 1XEV.
    01-17-09 02:11 PM
    As a mod I know to look first and none of my search criteria found anything on it not to mention no obvious subject mentioning it like I did. Is it one of those one thread for multiple tips in one? Cause if so its no wander so many prole are saying they didn't see this and it was a new tip they've never seen before not to mention it helped them. So I'm satisfied knowing I've helped many already with this.

01-17-09 02:46 PM
    As a mod I know to look first and none of my search criteria found anything on it not to mention no obvious subject mentioning it like I did. Is it one of those one thread for multiple tips in one?
    No offense Mr. Mod, but that tip is posted in so many locations it would be difficult to count them all.
    I've found a TON of nice tips and trick in this "tips and tricks" thread. Take a gander...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/ult...s-only-100612/
    Last edited by MPSmith1; 01-17-09 at 03:23 PM.
    01-17-09 03:20 PM
    As a Crackberry n00b, this is some good info!!
    01-17-09 03:30 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD