Was reading the Globe and Mail's Report on Business and came across an interesting article talking about the Canadian wireless market and buying into Rogers' shares...Half way through the article I came across an interesting quote, under the heading "All iPhone, all the time"...The following is an excerpt from the article:

"Apple's 3G iPhone pricing is clearly attracting many new customers and should boost Rogers' leading share of post-paid net additions," Scotia says. Meanwhile, the Bold is expected to help Rogers take back some of the BlackBerry customers it has lost to Bell and Telus."

"On the other hand, Telus is expected to launch (exclusively) a new touch screen BlackBerry this fall, which could steal some of the Bold's Thunder, albeit temporarily."

I've always held onto the possibility that the exclusivity agreement for the Thunder might not be so exclusive, ya diig!!??

Very interesting read with a nice analytical breakdown of the market...Here's the link:
    reportonbusiness.com: 10 reasons to buy Rogers
    Last edited by mnokia; 08-06-08 at 03:41 PM.
    08-06-08 01:25 PM
    now that would be insane... telus having exclusive rights in Canada for the thunder/storm
    08-06-08 03:39 PM
    People are going to be very surprised when the 9500 is released.
    08-06-08 03:43 PM
    I read that too and was just on my way here to post it.....beaten to the punch dam!

I am wondering how Scotia Capital was able to access all this information that was not revealed by any of the other insiders........or what I am guessing it this was a HUGE slip up and there is no way whoever released this was supposed to.. (or was he supposed to intentionally 'accidentaly' release this info?)

Either way that prospect is very exciting if Canada is getting it too.
    08-06-08 05:16 PM
    canada was always going to get it, it was just a matter of when and who would be the one to snatch it up first.... just didn't know it was going to be exclusive also up here.... if it's true
    08-06-08 05:59 PM
    People are going to be very surprised when the 9500 is released.
    As long as AT&T doesn't get it, i don't care.
    08-06-08 07:36 PM
    canada was always going to get it, it was just a matter of when and who would be the one to snatch it up first.... just didn't know it was going to be exclusive also up here.... if it's true
    That's news to me...But I guess it would makes sense for the device to get released to all major markets and maybe provide exclusivity to one carrier in each of those markets...
    Last edited by mnokia; 08-06-08 at 10:59 PM.
    08-06-08 10:56 PM
    That's news to me...But I guess it would makes sense for the device to get released to all major markets and maybe provide exclusivity to one carrier in each of those markets...
    to my knowledge(it might be a lil out of touch since I have been following the BOLD more) the 9500 is a CDMA device with the feature of a sim card. Kinda like the BB 8830 world edition from Bell. when it's in North America(atleast Canada) it's designed to run off CDMA towers automatically. The Sim slot is for when you take it overseas.... This was why I said it was going to come out in Canada.

The crappy part about making it exclusive (atleast here) is that there are only 2 carriers running on CDMA platform. In the states there are more, so I can understand the exclusiveness.... just seems ******** to me why not release it for the 2 cdma carriers.
    08-06-08 11:50 PM
    So this was based purely on your short sighted opinion

to my knowledge(it might be a lil out of touch since I have been following the BOLD more) the 9500 is a CDMA device with the feature of a sim card. Kinda like the BB 8830 world edition from Bell. when it's in North America(atleast Canada) it's designed to run off CDMA towers automatically. The Sim slot is for when you take it overseas.... This was why I said it was going to come out in Canada.

The crappy part about making it exclusive (atleast here) is that there are only 2 carriers running on CDMA platform. In the states there are more, so I can understand the exclusiveness.... just seems ******** to me why not release it for the 2 cdma carriers.
    1. Since I've been on the Bold threads so much I really don't remember whether or not I read that the Thunder was a "world phone" operating on int'l gsm frequencies...Either way, just b/c the device is compatible with existing technology in Canada does not mean it is definitely coming here...

2. You actually raise a good point in terms of exclusivity. Since there are only three incumbent providers in Canada. With Rogers clearly out of the picture, it would certainly pay dividends to whomever were to snatch up the rights to the device as it would attract new clients/customers...I could see Bell/Telus fighting for it at first, but I really doubt either of them could live up to RIM's sales expectations...
    08-07-08 12:19 AM
    1. Since I've been on the Bold threads so much I really don't remember whether or not I read that the Thunder was a "world phone" operating on int'l gsm frequencies...Either way, just b/c the device is compatible with existing technology in Canada does not mean it is definitely coming here...
    I think I actually read that info here somewhere. Like I said I haven't followed the 9500 as much as the Bold

2. You actually raise a good point in terms of exclusivity. Since there are only three incumbent providers in Canada. With Rogers clearly out of the picture, it would certainly pay dividends to whomever were to snatch up the rights to the device as it would attract new clients/customers...I could see Bell/Telus fighting for it at first, but I really doubt either of them could live up to RIM's sales expectations...
    In regards to what was just posted by Kevin.... I am totally shocked that Bell dropped the ball on this one... utterly dissapointed
    08-07-08 09:40 AM
    Well I think it is great that telus will get something for once first! YAY!! I can't wait. so does anyone know when this is suppose to hit stores? in time for C-mas maybe? lol!!
    08-08-08 05:58 PM
    Nice to see us CDMA people have something the GSM people don't for once. Man I'm happy I switched to telus. Unlimited blackberry plan (unlike rogers/fido with their crappy 6 GB) and now the Thunder on the horizon, can't wait (although I love my curve)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-08 08:58 PM
    Wish It Was Bell Wish It Was Bell
    08-14-08 12:53 PM
    I was talking to a RIM rep that deals with Bell and I asked her about the exclusivity. Thought she was hesitant to say that a touchscreen BB was in the works(their not allowed to give that information) she did say that "don't believe everything you read/hear. RIM doesn't do exclusives in Canada."

Whether it's good news for Bell clients or not I don't know. I've been burned by false info before so take it with a grain of salt
    08-16-08 10:42 PM
    Exclusive doesn't necessarily mean lifetime exclusive - a lot of times they are only for a limited time.
    08-16-08 10:52 PM
    LOL the bold looks pretty exclusive to Rogers Canada
    08-30-08 11:27 AM
    I honestly couldn't see Rogers getting the Storm anytime soon. They already have the exclusive selling rights to the iphone. just like another person on these forums pointed out, that if Rogers got it, the sales force would be the deciding factor in terms of which product is sold, so why would they want to offer two touchscreen devices made to compete against eachother?

It would make total sense for Telus/Bell to be the only carriers of this phone in Canada.

Thank god I'm on Telus too. The rogers plans are so expensive I just couldn't believe it. My current 3yr Telus contract expires right away and I told them I was considering going to Rogers, well they offered me so much free stuff that I would be paying $30/month for my voice plan AND an unlimited data/web/IM/Text/e-mail plan. That is dirt friggin cheap.
    08-30-08 08:41 PM
    I honestly couldn't see Rogers getting the Storm anytime soon. They already have the exclusive selling rights to the iphone. just like another person on these forums pointed out, that if Rogers got it, the sales force would be the deciding factor in terms of which product is sold, so why would they want to offer two touchscreen devices made to compete against eachother?

It would make total sense for Telus/Bell to be the only carriers of this phone in Canada.

Thank god I'm on Telus too. The rogers plans are so expensive I just couldn't believe it. My current 3yr Telus contract expires right away and I told them I was considering going to Rogers, well they offered me so much free stuff that I would be paying $30/month for my voice plan AND an unlimited data/web/IM/Text/e-mail plan. That is dirt friggin cheap.

They wouldn't be getting the Storm, it would be the Thunder. And the only reason you can't really see them geting it is because you're on Telus. But it looks like your beliefs aren't correct this time around.
    08-31-08 03:35 AM
    They wouldn't be getting the Storm, it would be the Thunder. And the only reason you can't really see them geting it is because you're on Telus. But it looks like your beliefs aren't correct this time around.
    Your too confusing C_X, could you at least say or hint whether us loyal Telus followers will see the Storm before Rogers sees the Thunder? If not I will NOT be so loyal.....

Thanks
    08-31-08 12:14 PM
    I think what Crucial is pretty much just disagreeing with with CAM. CAM doesnt think that Rogers will get the Thunder anytime soon, and Crucial probably has some info leading him to believe otherwise.

Now, judging from the Bold's release in Canada. I guess it is pretty much understood that the Thunder will be released in Canada first, with Verizon following closely behind in the US.

Since Verizon doesnt seem to be having the issues that ATT is having, maybe they can release it sooner than the Bold?
    08-31-08 12:35 PM
    well i really hope that Telus will get something if not I gotta go for the Curve not that it's a bad thing. but I'd like to atleast see the thunder/storm and touch it and see if I would like it! geez, BB give us a chance lol!!
    08-31-08 09:32 PM
    well i really hope that Telus will get something if not I gotta go for the Curve not that it's a bad thing. but I'd like to atleast see the thunder/storm and touch it and see if I would like it! geez, BB give us a chance lol!!
    Well, over on Blackberrysync.com, someone is reporting that they "looked in the TELUS inventory today at work and there are about 4 items for this world edition thunder". If true, then I guess the countdown is really on!
    09-01-08 11:25 AM
    Well, over on Blackberrysync.com, someone is reporting that they "looked in the TELUS inventory today at work and there are about 4 items for this world edition thunder". If true, then I guess the countdown is really on!
    yup, it is truly in the inventory system:

SKU: 9530
    BB 9530 world edition RIM

hehe
    09-03-08 09:07 PM
    yup, it is truly in the inventory system:

SKU: 9530
    BB 9530 world edition RIM

hehe

Cool, thanks for the info...now we only need someone to report on the Rogers system for the 9500...someone, start a thread!
    09-03-08 10:38 PM
    thanks for the info. lets cross our fingers lol!!

09-05-08 03:25 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD