Soooooo, long story short my friend works indirectly with RIM here in MI. He went to RIM's Waterloo ON headquarters on Tuesday and got to play with the Bold and the Thunder.

The Bold's release time frame was pretty official, it will be in ATT stores last week of August first week of September and will be ATT exclusive for 3 months.

As for the Thunder they had a target lauch date of beginning of November and the phone will most likely be Verizon exclusive for 3 months. I am guessing the Thunder could get pushed back, but usually RIM doesn't throw dates out in private meetings that aren't somewhat close.

I know to everyone here it is another rumor, but this is coming straight from RIM.
    Did he tell you anything interesting about the phone?
    08-22-08 04:28 PM
    Spoke with a verizon tech and he told me that he hasn't heard anything about the bold. I ws shocked.
    08-22-08 04:31 PM
    I can't wait until thunder comes out. I love my WE but it's time for something new!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-08 04:36 PM
    Did he tell you anything interesting about the phone?
    He loved the Bold. He liked the Thunder but he is not a touchscreen person, doesn't like how he fat fingers the screen. He said they are both amazing and the Thunder is way better then the iPhone in his opinion. He was really blown away with how smooth and fast the bold was, and how good the browser was.

Spoke with a verizon tech and he told me that he hasn't heard anything about the bold. I ws shocked.
    From the lack of RIM talking about it, he assumed the bold will not be out for Verizon, at least not in the near future. Could pop out next year but not sure.

***RUMOR ALERT*** Sprint will not have either phones for a bit due to the fact that they cannot afford to purchase the units from RIM. They sunk all thier money into the Instinct and don't have the funds for the amount of units RIM is requiring. Guess they need to keep selling off their towers for more working capital.

Sucks for me, I have Sprint and want the 9500 BAD!
    08-22-08 04:46 PM
    He loved the Bold. He liked the Thunder but he is not a touchscreen person, doesn't like how he fat fingers the screen. He said they are both amazing and the Thunder is way better then the iPhone in his opinion. He was really blown away with how smooth and fast the bold was, and how good the browser was.

This is just a general statement not necessarily in response to any other statement previously made but: the Thunder is nice looking and all but I'm done with touchscreens.... Look at how crappy the iphone is... Gimme the Bold or Javelin anyday.... 420(I have prescription) yeahhhhh

From the lack of RIM talking about it, he assumed the bold will not be out for Verizon, at least not in the near future. Could pop out next year but not sure.

***RUMOR ALERT*** Sprint will not have either phones for a bit due to the fact that they cannot afford to purchase the units from RIM. They sunk all thier money into the Instinct and don't have the funds for the amount of units RIM is requiring. Guess they need to keep selling off their towers for more working capital.

Sucks for me, I have Sprint and want the 9500 BAD!

08-22-08 06:14 PM
    can anyone confirm (or reasonable speculation) that this is gonna be a cdma exclusive for 3 months? is there a gsm version on the way?
    08-22-08 07:08 PM
    Soooooo, long story short my friend works indirectly with RIM here in MI. He went to RIM's Waterloo ON headquarters on Tuesday and got to play with the Bold and the Thunder.

The Bold's release time frame was pretty official, it will be in ATT stores last week of August first week of September and will be ATT exclusive for 3 months.

As for the Thunder they had a target lauch date of beginning of November and the phone will most likely be Verizon exclusive for 3 months. I am guessing the Thunder could get pushed back, but usually RIM doesn't throw dates out in private meetings that aren't somewhat close.

I know to everyone here it is another rumor, but this is coming straight from RIM.

Can you ask your friend what the home screen of the Thunder looked like?
    Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
    08-22-08 07:23 PM
    He said it was a black backround and the icons looked alot like the icons you see on the bold, translucent. This really doesn't mean much though cause they can change that 5 times over before the release.
    08-23-08 08:19 AM
    Crucial I hope you are right on how this device is better than iPhone, because I am already telling the people who have them what this is about
    08-24-08 12:33 AM
    Well I sure hope the Thunder is as good as we hope because I was going to leave VZN for the Bold and move over to ATT... But if the Thunder is as good as rumored, I'll stay with VZN.

We'll see if it lives up to the hype... boy I sure hope so.

Dennis
    08-24-08 12:57 AM
    Well I sure hope the Thunder is as good as we hope because I was going to leave VZN for the Bold and move over to ATT... But if the Thunder is as good as rumored, I'll stay with VZN.

We'll see if it lives up to the hype... boy I sure hope so.

Dennis
    same here.
    08-24-08 01:49 AM
    I can't wait until thunder comes out. I love my WE but it's time for something new!

Woooooord!
    08-24-08 03:58 AM
    I hope the whole "Sprint can't afford to buy the amount of units tha� RIM requires" comment is not true. I wonder if since the Thunder is CDMA if Sprint will not be the next to aquire it. That would be cool for me.

If another Blackberry doesn't come out for Sprint for a while then I will have to get my contract bought out. I love my 8830, but I'm too much of an addict to wait a full year after AT&T gets the Bold, or Verizon gets the Thunder to sit idle and not have a nifty new Blackberry. Argh.

I am not going to jump to any conclusions. As of right now no U.S. carrier has the phone. So I'm not too angry yet.

08-24-08 04:12 AM
    same here.
    That makes sense, leave the company with the irrefutable best network and best customer service according to JD Powers and Consumer Report (this is also common knowledge..not just a survey), and go to one of the worst service/reception companies out there?? Makes sense to me.
    08-24-08 05:50 PM
    I was at vzw store today swapping my 8830 and asked the guy about the thunder, and he says they're not getting it until next year, and the bold isn't coming until may 09 for vzw. don't know how much he really knew or if he was just trying to flirt with me and pretend like he was the "keeper of all thunder info" lol!
    08-24-08 11:17 PM
    I was at vzw store today swapping my 8830 and asked the guy about the thunder, and he says they're not getting it until next year, and the bold isn't coming until may 09 for vzw. don't know how much he really knew or if he was just trying to flirt with me and pretend like he was the "keeper of all thunder info" lol!

Well, go back, give him "the eyes" and bring us more info....
    08-24-08 11:23 PM
    Either trying to flirt or make himself seem more important. CSR, even managers, really don't know anything most of the time. They either tell you nothing or make **** up. They didn't know ANYTHING about the Dare 2 months in advance. Barely even a month in advance.
    08-24-08 11:52 PM
    Either trying to flirt or make himself seem more important. CSR, even managers, really don't know anything most of the time. They either tell you nothing or make **** up. They didn't know ANYTHING about the Dare 2 months in advance. Barely even a month in advance.
    That is absolutely right. You would think I would know something about it . But all I know is the info I hear around here. I am leaning more towards believing a Mid October release, but that is nothing that hasn't been said here before. People(all retail, management included) that talk with the most authority about certain new releases are just like all of us...we get it from here, unless they are some insider that makes comments that make you read between the lines to figure out what they are hinting at. If I knew so much, I wouldn't be looking around these forums for info like all of you
    08-25-08 08:43 PM
    I worked for Sprint for 5 years, I was one of the field people that was on the new phone field test team. Anytime we would get a new phone that was about to launch we would test it about 3-6 months before hand, that way we could help troubleshoot any bugs we found. Even being in this position, noone ever knew when the phone would actually launch. They keep everyone in the dark because they really don't know until about 2 weeks before it releases. There is alot that goes into a launch that people don't realized and the date can chance at any moment for any reason.
    08-27-08 09:28 AM
    Its funny that people expect low on the totem pole CSR's or even management to have any info on new releases, product testing like said before doesn't even know the release date will be or if it is even going to be released. With the 3G everyone knew Jobs was going to announce the release at the Apple conference. But even Apple employees were in the dark until he did. The terrible thing is everyone has an "inside source" that gives them this information. I would not rely on any source until manufacturer or carrier makes an official announcement.
    08-27-08 02:35 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD