Where you getting your information from?

If true it wouldn't make sense; why would Vodaphone, which owns 40% of VZW, come out with a version that doesn't roam on VZW? Europeans like to travel here too...
    My guess would be that since all the phones released in Europe and the rest of the world are capable of roaming on at&t and tmobile there is no point in selling a device like the 9530 that is more expensive to make because its GSM & EVDO.
    09-17-08 11:05 AM
    Vodaphone could prove me wrong, but I can't imagine them just handing over roaming revenue to a competitor if they don't have to, and now they don't.
    09-17-08 11:09 AM
    Where you getting your information from?

If true it wouldn't make sense; why would Vodaphone, which owns 40% of VZW, come out with a version that doesn't roam on VZW? Europeans like to travel here too...
    Sorry if I made that sound like it was a fact. I didn't mean to. I don't have any inside info, just a vague memory of what was posted here and on HOFO. There was a large debate on hofo a month or so ago about whether Voda would get a Quad GSM or a Quad GSM/CDMA with no actual conclusion from the debate, only opinions.

Someone, CX I think, mentioned they had used a version one a North American GSM carrier (Rogers I think) so there was a NA GSM model out there during development. Whether or not that goes to a Canadian or European carrier remains to be seen.

Also, see this post from Crucial:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/off...tml#post723349

It's no confirmation, just part of what I derived my opinion on the matter from.

Again sorry for any confusion as I was not trying to declare anything, only offer MHO.
    09-17-08 11:14 AM
    No need to apologize. We all like to speculate but I always try to preface things with something like "My guess is..." because that's all I got!

FWIW I don't doubt there will be a quad band, GSM-only version of the phone via the Thunder, to supply to GSM-only carriers. It just seems like it would be in Vodaphone's interest to keep US roaming revenue more or less in-house. And if I were a European Blackberry user who does a lot of travel to the states I'd rather roam on Verizon than ATT or T-Mo (esp. T-Mo!) because it's a bigger, faster network overall.

BTW, I think that technically, VZW got their nomenclature wrong. Since we can assume that the Storm has the two US CDMA bands and two Euro GSM bands, it wouldn't be a "quad band" phone, it would be a dual MODE phone, with 4 bands.
    Last edited by kwsmithphoto; 09-17-08 at 11:53 AM.
    09-17-08 11:49 AM
    Not sure how the unlocking works. If I am primary a VZW customer in the US and want to travel abroad, can I get the subsidized price and have the phone unlocked on the GSM side? If I buy an unlocked GSM phone will it work on VZW CDMA? Not sure I do enough travel to pay the $200+ additional for unlocked.
    09-23-08 07:01 PM
130 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD