Verizon outage

http://wap.ktvu.com/detail.jsp?key=140369&rc=ne

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-09 03:39 PM
    Funny, I'm in PA right now and I just got off the phone... but thanks for the heads up
    04-09-09 03:41 PM
    I live in san jose and haven't had any problems.

04-09-09 04:14 PM
    Me too no probs....

04-09-09 04:21 PM
    No problems here either. saw this on the news this morning. Made a call at home (San francisco), then made calls and sent texts at work (San Jose).

Edit:
    Funny thing is, is that the fiber optic cables that were cut, were actually AT&T cables, not Verizon. According to SFGate, Verizon uses them tho.
    Last edited by sfstorm; 04-09-09 at 04:51 PM.
    04-09-09 04:47 PM
    Verizon (landline and wireless) service in south Santa Clara county (generally south of San Jose) was cut off at about 1:30am Thursday, due to cut fiber. This apparently was not the usual backhoe fade; someone lifted off a heavy manhole cover and took heavy cutting tools to the fiber. Some people find a correlation between this and the ongoing contract negotiations between the CWA union and at&t (who owns the fiber in question).
    04-09-09 04:49 PM
    I work as an IT contractor in Santa Clara, there are widespread outages all over the southern part of santa Clara countey all the way down to Monterey...

here's why... last night around 2:30AM some guy in a manhole cut the main AT&T Fiber Optic Circuit KNocking out T1 internet, Phone Service and a bunch of other networked services etc... AT&T is working on it now and should have everything back in order by 6PM PST...

here's the best part, when My boss this morning (approx 7:25AM PST)called XO communications, who referred him to AT&T, AT&T had no Idea it was their circuit that got whacked until he had them do a line test... either that or they were straight in denial of a screw up...

I'm on verizon and everything is going fine for me THANK GOD!!! bummer for the AT& T reliant folks though...

Not sure if this may impact any thing further south with Verizon, but that is the straight dirt on the service outages around the south bay...
    04-09-09 04:53 PM
    Edit:
    Funny thing is, is that the fiber optic cables that were cut, were actually AT&T cables, not Verizon. According to SFGate, Verizon uses them tho.[/QUOTE]

AT&T owns almost all of the main fiberoptic runs all over the bay area, with the exception of any proprietary sites like Cisco for example...
    04-09-09 04:57 PM
    Here is some more information:

OTDR readings were taken by AT&T West and a cut was located 1600 ft from the San Jose, CA central office. AT&T West technicians are onsite working to isolate the exact location of the cut. There are 4 cables impacted. AT&T Mobility has 61 GSM and 45 co-located UMTS sites out of service off of Santa Clara Base Station Controllers 15 & 23, and Santa Clara Radio Network Controller 4. E911 has 52 Location Measuring Units down. The AT&T West Santa Cruz 11 central office (41,803 ATNs) is experiencing an SS7 isolation and the San Martin central office (11,904 ATNs) lost it's umbilical and is isolated at this time. The Bailey remote site (4,973 ATNs) is also isolated. Scott's Valley has 3 out of 4 SS7 links down. The Santa Cruz 01, Aptos, Scott's Valley, Felton, Boulder Creek, Ben Lomand, San Jose 11, San Jose 13, San Jose 21 central offices have trunks impacted such that all lines are busy and incoming calls are receiving trouble messages. The Santa Cruz County SO (178,040 ATNs), Scott's Valley PD (12,007 ATNs) and the UC Santa Cruz PD (14,909 ATNs) are all without ALI at this time. The Gilroy PD PSAP and the Morgan Hill PD and CDF have been rerouted with ALI/ANI. The Felton CDF has not been rerouted. There are 17 DSLAMS and 4 ATMS out of service impacting DSL service. There are 3 SMDI Links down impacting voicemail service. Verizon's Morgan Hill and Gilroy central offices are currently isolated. There have been 224,865 blocked calls.
    04-09-09 05:40 PM
    FYI:

ETR is 2000 PDST for splicing completion...could restore before then......
    04-09-09 05:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD