I have read so many posts from people with defective devices that are actually afraid to exchange it for another, due to the fact that they are scared of getting one that is worse. That is simply ridiculous. I know..I was one.
    I had several problems from day 1 but worked through them. I accepted the problems as "its new" and will get fixed later on. What I didnt realize was this:
    I thought I had a perfect screen click. But my girlfriend got a Storm for Christmas from her kids. I of course set it all up for her and the second I picked up the phone, I noticed huge differances.
    First, the screen clicked so easily and smoothly, that mine now felt VERY defective.
    Second, her screen was bright..very bright. Mine had a blue tint to it.
    Third, her's performed side by side WAY faster and smoother than mine. We both had .75 for the OS.
    Bottom line..I brought mine back last night and VZW exchanged it in the store (even though I was past the 30 days! Gotta love VZW) and I am amazed how different it is in every way.

One note: My original was made in Canada. My replacement as well as my girlfriends is made in Mexico. The hardware is NOT totally the same as you can see the difference in screens with the phone off (Mexico has little dots set up in a grid, Canada does not).

So anyone contemplating return should go ahead and do it! Get the quality you paid for! And for anyone who is doing the screen fix...don't! Go get a replacement!
    My 2 cents. Happy New Year All.. oh and today is my birthday..48 years young. So don't slam me please..lol..Cheers!
    12-28-08 07:09 AM
    sry, but my launch Storm was made in Canada and it also suffered from problems with the screen clicking properly in the corners and had a dead-pixel. I got it replaced "new" with one made in Canada again, and clicks waay better than my launch version. The grid you mentioned is not isolated to Mexico made Storms. I compared both my Canadian Storms, and they have this grid layout as well.

Oh and Happy Birthday!
    Last edited by randmc2008; 12-28-08 at 07:41 AM. Reason: wishin a happy birthday edit
    12-28-08 07:18 AM
    Mine is made in Canada. Screen click is perfect, and it also has the grid. (You can only see the grid at an angle, with the right lighting, while the screen is dark, for those wondering.)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-08 07:50 AM
    Mine's made in Canada too and I have that grid. I didn't know what it was the first time I saw it. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. Mine also has the screen clicking problem near the bottom in portrait mode and I'll be getting my 2nd one this Wednesday.
    12-28-08 07:54 AM
    when you get a replacement device, verizon gives you 10 days to return your original. so, if for some reason the replacement isn't up to par, just keep your original, send back the replacement and order another one.

remember, you have the right to order as many replacements as you like within your 30 days.

a few tips when you're calling for a replacement:
    - Use the prompts to go directly to Technical Support - do not waste your time with regular Customer Service
    - Stick to a single hardware problem. Repeat, hardware problem (e.g. screen not clicking, button loose, dust under screen). Any problems that are potentially software related (e.g. reboots, battery drain) will prompt unnecessary troubleshooting
    - Let them know you want a replacement right up front. Again, no need to waste your time or theirs with troubleshooting
    - Ask for the replacement to be sent FedEx Priority Overnight
    - Do not give a temporary payment for the replacement

btw, all the phones have the "grid" - those are the touchscreen sensors.
    Last edited by changal; 12-28-08 at 08:12 AM.
    12-28-08 07:55 AM
    ok i stand corrected on the grid thing. Point of the post though is, if you have a screen click issue or even think you do, get a replacement. My replacement is far better than its original and I never even knew I had a problem. I thought I was one of the lucky people with a perfect click.
    Last edited by pmas; 12-28-08 at 07:58 AM.
    12-28-08 07:56 AM
    when you get a replacement device, verizon give you 10 days to return your original one. so, if for some reason the replacement isn't up to par, just keep your original, send back the replacement and order another one.

remember, you have the right to order as many replacements as you like within your 30 days.

Good point. So you can keep your original for a few days to make sure the replacement is up to par, before sending it back. I did this with a replacement early on when I had random reboots. I kept the original.
    12-28-08 08:00 AM
    I know that it is pretty new and was wondering if it had any dust issues yet? Mine was bought day one and it is accumulating dust and the screen click is getting weak so I will return mine and hope the next one is better!

12-28-08 08:37 AM
    I know that it is pretty new and was wondering if it had any dust issues yet? Mine was bought day one and it is accumulating dust and the screen click is getting weak so I will return mine and hope the next one is better!

don't want to be "do a search" guy, but there are a ton of threads about dust. there is an issue with dust getting behind the screen in some storms. you should get a replacement.
    12-28-08 08:39 AM
    No people with Storm they want to get replaced, should not worry. All of the new devices are working much better than thosw first released. No it's not a new hardware revision, it's just better QOS at manufacturing. So if you want a replacement, have no fears.
    12-28-08 08:40 AM
    Just got it last night so nothing yet. My old one had no dust and it was in my pocket all the time.
    When you feel the difference with a fully functional screen, you will be amazed. It should click very very easily with little pressure applied. I also noticed that scrolling/sliding through menus is smoother too. the whole screen is more responsive.
    12-28-08 08:42 AM
    Dude I know about the dust issues and was just trying to compare his new one with my old one
    ? though..... Since there is a 1 year warranty through rim shouldn't we be covered after out return time is up for defects like dust or screen?

12-28-08 08:43 AM
    Yes you are covered. But if you return it now, you will not get a refurbished device. If you wait, you will probably get one. Not that the refurbs are bad, its just that you have a new one now and its recently purchased. You should want a new one in exchange. If you have dust, you should get a replacement, period.
    12-28-08 08:46 AM
    Dude I know about the dust issues and was just trying to compare his new one with my old one
    ? though..... Since there is a 1 year warranty through rim shouldn't we be covered after out return time is up for defects like dust or screen?

ok gotcha - i had 2 storms from day 1, both of which accumulated dust behind the screen. i exchanged both for new 21009 builds. both have been perfect - no dust, no screen click issues, no reboots, etc.
    12-28-08 08:49 AM
    Ok I am convinced! I will be returning this one I got on the opening day for a better one under a better quality control. So much for expecting the best on opening day!

I just feel bad for those not on crackberry.com who will have no idea what is going on with their device when it looks like a blizzard!

12-28-08 08:56 AM
    My replacement was also better! The PRD number was the same and both were made in Canada....My new one is better in some ways. It still has the screen click issue in the corners...but I fixed that with some paper.

My storm is almost perfect now....the only issue I have is the new one has more gap around the screen and wiggles more. If it didnt wiggle...I would call my storm perfect!
    12-28-08 08:59 AM
    Thanks, reassuring to know.

I've decided that my original is good enough really so if my replacement isn't up to par, I'll just return that one and live with a screen that doesn't fully click near the bottom.
    12-28-08 09:01 AM
    So what exactly is a "new one." I ordered mine on December 14th, it shipped on the 17th, and arrived on the 19th. It was made in Canada. I have not have any random reboots, just some uncaught exceptions in one piece of software. The screen seems responsive though I have noticed that the click travel in the lower left corner is a lot less than the rest of the screen.

I suppose the question would be, are these things that could shorten the life of the device?

b.b.
    12-28-08 09:15 AM
    I have read so many posts from people with defective devices that are actually afraid to exchange it for another, due to the fact that they are scared of getting one that is worse. That is simply ridiculous. I know..I was one.
    I had several problems from day 1 but worked through them. I accepted the problems as "its new" and will get fixed later on. What I didnt realize was this:
    I thought I had a perfect screen click. But my girlfriend got a Storm for Christmas from her kids. I of course set it all up for her and the second I picked up the phone, I noticed huge differances.
    First, the screen clicked so easily and smoothly, that mine now felt VERY defective.
    Second, her screen was bright..very bright. Mine had a blue tint to it.
    Third, her's performed side by side WAY faster and smoother than mine. We both had .75 for the OS.
    Bottom line..I brought mine back last night and VZW exchanged it in the store (even though I was past the 30 days! Gotta love VZW) and I am amazed how different it is in every way.

One note: My original was made in Canada. My replacement as well as my girlfriends is made in Mexico. The hardware is NOT totally the same as you can see the difference in screens with the phone off (Mexico has little dots set up in a grid, Canada does not).

So anyone contemplating return should go ahead and do it! Get the quality you paid for! And for anyone who is doing the screen fix...don't! Go get a replacement!
    My 2 cents. Happy New Year All.. oh and today is my birthday..48 years young. So don't slam me please..lol..Cheers!
    I got mine day 1 and made in canada and good screen with grid.
    12-28-08 09:19 AM
    when you get a replacement device, verizon gives you 10 days to return your original. so, if for some reason the replacement isn't up to par, just keep your original, send back the replacement and order another one.

- Use the prompts to go directly to Technical Support - do not waste your time with regular Customer Service
    - Stick to a single hardware problem. Repeat, hardware problem (e.g. screen not clicking, button loose, dust under screen). Any problems that are potentially software related (e.g. reboots, battery drain) will prompt unnecessary troubleshooting
    - Let them know you want a replacement right up front. Again, no need to waste your time or theirs with troubleshooting

good advice but I went through 3 techs and none would offer fedex priority overnight and none would allow for a free replacement without temp payment of $200
    12-28-08 09:22 AM

Damn I wish I would of read this before. I called VZW and ask for a replacement on Christmas Eve. It coming probably around Monday or Tuesday however they did do a temporary payment for the replacement. However what if I get my replacement and its the same problem, do I send it back call them and ask for a new one? I am past the 30day mark but I think VZW said they extended it because of the holiday to Jan 15 is that right?
    12-28-08 09:38 AM
    Damn I wish I would of read this before. I called VZW and ask for a replacement on Christmas Eve. It coming probably around Monday or Tuesday however they did do a temporary payment for the replacement. However what if I get my replacement and its the same problem, do I send it back call them and ask for a new one? I am past the 30day mark but I think VZW said they extended it because of the holiday to Jan 15 is that right?
    Yeah - I'm not sure what their policy is on shipping speed and whether or not they need a deposit. Probably tied to account size or history? Or more likely, it could just be up to the individual agent's discretion (which is a good reason to be nice to them)

In terms of return period, if you bought it anytime before 12/15, I think you officially have until 1/15 for exchanges/returns.
    12-28-08 09:46 AM
    I have never had to exchange a BB before so any of you have a link to where I can get all of the information for a replacement. Including phone number, information on backing up apps and others!

12-28-08 09:57 AM
    I called tech support today. The woman told me that even though I bought my phone online, I have to bring it to a store for a replacement. Is that normal? I dread going to my local store-- they are the meanest people alive, and I know they will find a reason to give me a hard time!
    12-28-08 10:12 AM
    It is extended. If your replacment is sub-par, you can return it. Also, if you want, you have til Jan. 15 to return your phone for a full refund. This is what I planned on doing last night. Since I was past the 30 days, I was told tech support had to send me one. I didnt feel like waiting so I went to the VZW store intent on returning it, getting a full refund and then purchasing a new one right there. Sounds like a silly thing to do, just to get a replacement, but I ran it by VZW CS and they said "sure, you can do that." But when I got to the VZW store and told them, they simply gave me a new one with authorization from the store manager.
    12-28-08 10:13 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD