This may have already been addresed but all I can find is old posts about it and somethings may have changed. Im looking to lower the cost of cell phone and internet service. Right now I have a regular verizon phone and a usb air card. The card is the older model usb720. My question is if I cancel my service with the air card and tether the Storm for internet service will it be at least as fast as what I have now? Also will it be unlimited internet or will verizon hit me with some sort of a limit that they arent actually telling me about? Thanks for the advice and help!
    06-24-09 11:09 AM
    The speed should be the same and I believe the unlimited limit is 5GB per month.
    06-24-09 11:16 AM
    Thanks, thats the same as the new air card plans. 5GB is a good bit of usage time I take it but verizon makes it sound like it isnt when you talk to them. Ive only used 3.8GB so far this month and my billing cycle is ending on Friday and I use it constantly! Thanks again!
    06-24-09 11:29 AM
    What if you stream using the storm as the go through? I want to bring my laptop with me on vacation and would like to be able to watch my slingbox on the way. This is only a week vacation so I would prefer not to have to upgrade my plan just to do this. What kind of data usage should i expect if I used it a couple hours a day to watch my slingbox on my PC, and how much data usage do I get without upgrading my plan?
    06-24-09 04:14 PM
    The storm is no where as fast as an aircard. Expect about half the speeds you get with an aircard. This was what I experienced in Metro Atlanta, Northern VA, DC, and parts of Baltimore.

I was pretty disappointed of the tethering ability of the storm using the VZW Tethering plan and also with Tetherberry. I still use it but if I could aford the additional 60 a month for an aircard I would. But I blow through the 5gb is about a week to a week in a half with streaming, web browsing, and email.

I think VZW is stupid and very greedy with limiting the plans to just 5gb a month.

I know with my goverment supplied aircard I hit anywhere between 7-9gb a month just for strictly work purposes alone.
    06-24-09 04:19 PM
    I think VZW is stupid and very greedy with limiting the plans to just 5gb a month.
    what if they don't have unlimited resources and are trying to conserve bandwidth for the rest of the users? i think that statement is selfish and rather arrogant equally without meriting data as to the reason why they are doing what they are doing. Just my 1cent...
    06-24-09 05:21 PM
    FWIW, I use tethering with the Storm daily out of business necessity. My experience is that it works much better with the Storm than using VZ's broadband USB modem, which I used for a year prior to getting the Storm ... there is simply no comparison, and this in an area in which I may be 1xev for a good part of the day.

As in all things digital, YMMV ...
    06-24-09 05:54 PM
    OMG,
    I bought my storm 2 months ago. They told me that it used to be 5gig a month but now unlimited meant unlimited. Were they wrong?
    06-24-09 06:16 PM
    OMG,
    I bought my storm 2 months ago. They told me that it used to be 5gig a month but now unlimited meant unlimited. Were they wrong?
    I think you're talking about a different plan? ... to tether on Verizon, you need their MOBILE BROADBAND CONNECT service, this is separate from, and in addition to, your blackberry data plan, which is unlimited, IIRC.
    06-24-09 06:24 PM
    OMG,
    If you don't tether, it's unlimited. Tethering is a violation of their TOS without a tethering plan. Now are they going to catch you if you keep it below 5 GB a month if you do tether? Probably not. But if they do, get ready for a huge bill, which you would be responsible for. The risk is yours.
    06-24-09 06:25 PM
    Ok thanks,
    I don't tether but, how would they catch you?
    06-24-09 06:31 PM
    Ok thanks,
    I don't tether but, how would they catch you?
    How much data do you use a month now? if all of a sudden you went from less than 1 GB a month, to 5 GB or more a month, I'm sure it would get flagged.
    06-24-09 07:49 PM
    If you don't tether, it's unlimited. Tethering is a violation of their TOS without a tethering plan. Now are they going to catch you if you keep it below 5 GB a month if you do tether? Probably not. But if they do, get ready for a huge bill, which you would be responsible for. The risk is yours.
    So, how do you go about tethering the Storm without VZAM and login access to VZW's network?

3rd part app?

Inquiring minds ...
    06-24-09 08:00 PM
    So, how do you go about tethering the Storm without VZAM and login access to VZW's network?

3rd part app?

Inquiring minds ...
    Tetherberry.
    06-24-09 08:08 PM

3rd part app?

Inquiring minds ...
    PDANet, Mobishark ...
    06-24-09 09:49 PM
    Here is the confusing part for me:

best buy's website:
    BlackBerry� Email, Web & Data Features
    Verizon Wireless offers personal and enterprise data features for BlackBerry devices that provide unlimited access to email and the internet. Below are details of the available features to help you decide which is best for you.
    Add-on Plan Feature Price Per Month Web Access
    BlackBerry� Enterprise Email and Web $44.99 Unlimited
    BlackBerry� Personal Email and Web $29.99 Unlimited

For another 15.00, Broadband Access Connect - wireless Internet access on your laptop (first month free). Im assuming this its 5GB from what I read on here but they dont tell you that. If you were in the store or online reading you might think its unlimited with the web and data feature. So is tethering a 5GB limit or not? If it is ill keep my air card (which is unlimited, because Im on an old plan) and not pay the 15.00 extra a month to tether for only 5GB.
    06-25-09 11:03 AM
    Here is the confusing part for me:

best buy's website:
    BlackBerry� Email, Web & Data Features
    Verizon Wireless offers personal and enterprise data features for BlackBerry devices that provide unlimited access to email and the internet. Below are details of the available features to help you decide which is best for you.
    Add-on Plan Feature Price Per Month Web Access
    BlackBerry� Enterprise Email and Web $44.99 Unlimited
    BlackBerry� Personal Email and Web $29.99 Unlimited

For another 15.00, Broadband Access Connect - wireless Internet access on your laptop (first month free). Im assuming this its 5GB from what I read on here but they dont tell you that. If you were in the store or online reading you might think its unlimited with the web and data feature. So is tethering a 5GB limit or not? If it is ill keep my air card (which is unlimited, because Im on an old plan) and not pay the 15.00 extra a month to tether for only 5GB.
    I mentioned this in your other thread, but I will mention it to you here.

I recently had our company switch over to Verizon and ran into a similar issue. Our Verizon Business Rep explained it as the following:

The Unlimited is based on the assumption of 'normal' use. This being a little web browsing, e-mail with attachments, some streaming Audio and Video for a wireless/mobile device.

Most people will not go over 5 gigs of data in a month period because normal usage for a mobile does not download large amounts of information in a short period of time. Things like Peer to Peer (P2P) will use large amounts of information because you are sharing files between several thousand users at once. Streaming constantly would eventually use a lot of information as well, or eat up available bandwidth.

In your case, as a photographer, you will have some problems trying to send pictures if they are literally of the high quality, raw formats as those images are literally 'big' in comparison to what most people look on a web site if you are doing professional pictures.

The wording that Best Buy is giving you, is also the wording they were given by the wireless company that is currently providing the service. At this time, this is Verizon as they have exclusive rights to the Storm as AT&T currently has exclusive rights on the BB Bold and iPhone.

The fine prints comes into play on the contract as well as looking at the group providing the phone, in this case, Verizon.

I know on the Verizon site, it is not explicitedly stated that the cap is 5 gigs, however, talking with their rep, it is literally 5 gigs a month tops. Again, based on what they presume to be 'normal internet usage'.

For higher data usage, you should consider not tethering but a dedicated land line, like Cable or DSL or even Satellite. While similar stipulations apply with regards to certain data transfers, they tend to be a little more lenient on it.
    06-25-09 11:51 AM
    Oh, I also forgot to mention, just in case you were not aware... Tethering a BB will also render your BB not able to be used as a phone while it is acting like an Air Card for your computer. So if you want to have calls while using it as an Air Card, you will have to resort to a VOIP (Voice Over IP) program on your computer during that time.
    06-25-09 11:53 AM
    what if they don't have unlimited resources and are trying to conserve bandwidth for the rest of the users? i think that statement is selfish and rather arrogant equally without meriting data as to the reason why they are doing what they are doing. Just my 1cent...
    selfish? please... just like when a person says no, it means no. if my plan says "unlimited", i expect unlimited... otherwise you're just getting raped...

i have no problem buying a 5 gig plan that says its effectively unlimited under normal use, but i do have issues buying an unlimited plan that is actually limited. its mis-representation and false advertising and should be illegal if it isn't already. i understand their resources and the engineering side completely, it's their marketing i take issue with.
    06-25-09 01:27 PM
    So is tethering a 5GB limit or not?
    With VZW, and using "Verizon Wireless Access Manager" and your Storm to access VZW's broadband network, YES!

It will appear on your bill as "MOBILE BROADBAND CONNECT 5 GB" and it will cost you an extra $30 month.
    06-25-09 02:01 PM
    selfish? please... just like when a person says no, it means no. if my plan says "unlimited", i expect unlimited... otherwise you're just getting raped...

i have no problem buying a 5 gig plan that says its effectively unlimited under normal use, but i do have issues buying an unlimited plan that is actually limited. its mis-representation and false advertising and should be illegal if it isn't already. i understand their resources and the engineering side completely, it's their marketing i take issue with.
    Actually, it is your misunderstanding of the difference between "BlackBerry� Personal Email and Web $29.99 Unlimited" (which is not optional), and Verizon's "MOBILE BROADBAND CONNECT" service (which is optional), that is at the root of your confusion.

Far be from me to take up for VZW, but there is no "misrepresentation" whatsover regarding this issue ... go try it on ComCast/Time Warner, where the "misrepresentation" shoe really fits.
    06-25-09 02:07 PM
    Hmm, this sounds familiar.

"When consumers are promised an �unlimited� service, they do not expect the promise to be broken by hidden limitations," said Attorney General Andrew Cuomo. "Consumers must be treated fairly and honestly. Delivering a product is simply not enough � the promises must be delivered as well."

Verizon settles lawsuit over 'unlimited' data plans - FierceBroadbandWireless

Verizon Busted For 'Unlimited' Marketing - Settles for a million dollars with NY Attorney General - dslreports.com
    06-25-09 09:47 PM
    I have a "noob" question on tethering... I have searched but not found exactly what I am looking for...

Can you tell me exactly what I have to do to my laptop and/or Storm for tethering? I realize I need to download software and add the plan, but how do I get to the point where I get the webpage that tells me so?

Thanks!
    07-11-09 01:10 AM
    I mentioned this in your other thread, but I will mention it to you here.

I recently had our company switch over to Verizon and ran into a similar issue. Our Verizon Business Rep explained it as the following:

The Unlimited is based on the assumption of 'normal' use. This being a little web browsing, e-mail with attachments, some streaming Audio and Video for a wireless/mobile device.

Most people will not go over 5 gigs of data in a month period because normal usage for a mobile does not download large amounts of information in a short period of time. Things like Peer to Peer (P2P) will use large amounts of information because you are sharing files between several thousand users at once. Streaming constantly would eventually use a lot of information as well, or eat up available bandwidth.

In your case, as a photographer, you will have some problems trying to send pictures if they are literally of the high quality, raw formats as those images are literally 'big' in comparison to what most people look on a web site if you are doing professional pictures.

The wording that Best Buy is giving you, is also the wording they were given by the wireless company that is currently providing the service. At this time, this is Verizon as they have exclusive rights to the Storm as AT&T currently has exclusive rights on the BB Bold and iPhone.

The fine prints comes into play on the contract as well as looking at the group providing the phone, in this case, Verizon.

I know on the Verizon site, it is not explicitedly stated that the cap is 5 gigs, however, talking with their rep, it is literally 5 gigs a month tops. Again, based on what they presume to be 'normal internet usage'.

For higher data usage, you should consider not tethering but a dedicated land line, like Cable or DSL or even Satellite. While similar stipulations apply with regards to certain data transfers, they tend to be a little more lenient on it.
    Man.... and I was going to use it for a month and then play dumb if anything happened.

Also agree with other comments about labeling 5 gb as unlimited, no matter how technical it is. They should at least bump it up to 10 . But that's my two cents, and only because I need it for a short while, but will probably keep doing it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-09 01:54 AM
    I have a "noob" question on tethering... I have searched but not found exactly what I am looking for...

Can you tell me exactly what I have to do to my laptop and/or Storm for tethering? I realize I need to download software and add the plan, but how do I get to the point where I get the webpage that tells me so?

Thanks!
    There should be a VZW Tools CD that came with your phone. Install and then run the program called VZ Access Manager, follow the instructions.
    07-11-09 02:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD