I have a blackberry strom and i dont wanna pay for the internet and the verizon wont let me take it out. so i was wondering if theres a way to take out the internet on the storm so i dont have to pay for the internet.
    07-17-09 02:08 PM
    short answer... no
    07-17-09 02:11 PM
    not, you should not have bought a blackberry
    07-17-09 02:12 PM
    no - it is required as long as you have a BlackBerry on the account with Verizon (and most carriers these days)
    07-17-09 02:12 PM
    Any phone sold after November 2008 is required to have a data plan, no exception. You can't cancel the data plan. If you cancel the data plan that would cancel your contract and service.
    07-17-09 02:35 PM
    short answer... no
    What would be the long answer?
    07-17-09 02:45 PM
    What would be the long answer?

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooo

07-17-09 02:53 PM
    Any phone sold after November 2008 is required to have a data plan, no exception. You can't cancel the data plan. If you cancel the data plan that would cancel your contract and service.
    Actually that applies to the WinMo smartphones and any future Palms. BB's have always required data plans.
    07-17-09 02:55 PM
    Blackberrys always required a data plan because they are constantly connected the verizon network. If you dont have a data plan then your monthly bill would be high. When I got my first blackberry and added to my account Verizon somehow added the data plan but at the same time didn't. To my surprise i got a bill that was close to a thousand dollars and when I called the CS rep was in shock. She has never seen a mistake like that. I did not have to pay for anything but the $30 a month since it was obviously there fault.
    07-17-09 07:14 PM
    nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooo

i lol'd
    07-17-09 07:19 PM
    What I think people are getting confused about is that the OP not trying to get it for free, but he doesn't want the data features, just a cool phone that makes calls.

To clarify. You have to have a BIS or BES. Regardless. If you don't, the phone will not operate. That's how Blackberry's are. As for any other phone, including WinMo, there is a setting in the system for reps under features that is "Block Extended Network" (sorry it's been almost a year, maybe Enhanced, but it's to that affect though). With that feature activated though, you lose ALL DATA features period. Except SMS. It blocks the EV network on your phone, so you only have 1x. I would do this for parents that were buying their 10yo a damn voyager. Anyway, it is possible, because turning down data is a "data package", BUT NOT ON BLACKBERRY. It's like asking DirecTV for service, but don't include the satellite.
    07-17-09 07:24 PM
    Data block is no longer available on pda's released after Nov 2008. The Omnia, Saga and Touch Pro were the first like this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-09 07:29 PM
    not, you should not have bought a blackberry
    I kinda have to agree with this. Why would you want a BB if you didn't want data? Just for status symbol? It's kinda useless without, just an oversized cell phone. Regardless, as others have stated, the answer is no.
    07-17-09 07:33 PM
    Data block is no longer available on pda's released after Nov 2008. The Omnia, Saga and Touch Pro were the first like this.

Ah, I see. I left september.
    07-17-09 07:34 PM
    seems like a pointless idea since most of the phone is based on the data connection. if you want a dumbphone, why dont you just buy a dumphone?
    07-17-09 07:35 PM
    Does this requirement for the data plan apply to phones not purchased from verizon but activated on one of your verizon lines?
    07-17-09 11:27 PM
    Sucks for VZW customers. Its not required for ATT as long as the phone wasnt purchased as part of a contract.
    07-17-09 11:35 PM
    Does this requirement for the data plan apply to phones not purchased from verizon but activated on one of your verizon lines?
    All Blackberry handsets activated on VZW require a data plan, regardless of where it was acquired. All WinMo phones added to the VZW lineup since Nov. 2008 require a data plan, regardless of where it was acquired.
    07-18-09 11:34 AM
    i have a storm without data... no problem for me.
    07-18-09 11:36 AM
    What if I just tell them it's a regular phone?
    07-18-09 11:38 AM
    What if I just tell them it's a regular phone?
    VZW can easily tell what phone you are registering...
    07-18-09 11:41 AM
    VZW can easily tell what phone you are registering...
    I'll just tell them it's something else, like a RAZR then they can't add the data plan.
    07-18-09 11:42 AM
    I'll just tell them it's something else, like a RAZR then they can't add the data plan.
    it wont work, the computer will recognize what phone you have from the ESN and such. This isnt the 80's, computers are rather smart now...
    07-18-09 11:45 AM
    To clarify. You have to have a BIS or BES. Regardless. If you don't, the phone will not operate. That's how Blackberry's are.
    This is not correct. BBs will operate just fine as dumbphones with no BIS or BES. SMS will operate as well. Depending on the carrier, MMS may have issues W/O data.

The carriers are contractually requiring the connections now because of the revenue stream it gives them. Smartphones are the fastest growing segment of the wireless market.

The individual phones can function just fine as dumbphones.

07-18-09 11:50 AM
    Sucks for VZW customers. Its not required for ATT as long as the phone wasnt purchased as part of a contract.
    Its not required for ANY carrier if you are activating without a contract.

That's how the carriers are able to dictate it. Contractually required.

07-18-09 11:51 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD