I just got my storm and it was made in Canada and is the 95 build. I see posts stating that these are fine, I see posts saying these are junk, I see posts that says these are fine and junk.

My device seems pretty good. It clicks all over the place but it does wobble a bit. Light is also coming out of one of the edges. But overall, I think its pretty good. Can I do better? Is there a majority belief that the best units come from Mexico?

Appreciate it.
    12-17-08 03:42 PM
    It seems to be mexico is better from what ive seen on the boards. But can you really go into a store and say i want one made in mexico lol
    12-17-08 03:44 PM
    I can tell you based on the replacement I just got, that the Mexico made one is better.

My original was Canadian made, the new one is Mexican, and it's a **** of a lot better.
    12-17-08 03:46 PM
    I'd say it's fair. I have one of the Canadian versions as well.

There is some light leak. Screen is a tad wobbly but not too difficult to depress as the corners.

Send key is a tad loose but the other 3 are fine.

All in all, I think the answer you find here is a bit skewed. In the end, this is a $200 phone. I think to expect that it will be built like a tank is perhaps expecting too much. Especially if it's the company's 1st ever touchscreen phone.

In the end, most of us will have moved on to a new device in the next 24 months anyway so I'm not terribly concerned about the build quality.

That being said, I have no qualms about exchanging it if it can't hold up to my light usage over the 1st 30 days.
    12-17-08 03:48 PM
    I can tell you based on the replacement I just got, that the Mexico made one is better.

My original was Canadian made, the new one is Mexican, and it's a **** of a lot better.
    So better how? I mean, I saw your other post and I know this new one clicks better. Mine clicks fine, I think. Yes, its a bit firmer in the middle, but the edges work. I can shake the phone slightly and feel the screen going back and forth. Does your new one do that?
    12-17-08 03:48 PM
    The screen wobbling and the backlight showing through the cracks in the screen seems to be pretty "normal". I think some people were having button issues with the devices made in Canada though.

It's pretty tough for them to standardize the manufacturing in two different countries, especially two as different as Canada and Mexico. Not impossible, but difficult, especially for a product on its first development cycle.
    12-17-08 03:49 PM
    Had a CA model first. Second and current made in mexico. Mexican model ftw. However a search here will show some prefer the CA model over the mexican made. I think it all depends on how much was drank the day before in either place.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-08 03:50 PM
    Meh, Im not buying the first build argument though. The Treo Pro, Iphone, Touch Pro, Touch Diamond, Omnia and the like are all build very well and they are first generation hardware. The Bold is a tank and its a BB device.

Understanding that the screen does "float" I expect a bit of wiggle. Im just wondering if what I have is considered good or if its considered junk.

I know its impossible for anyone to answer without having my phone in front of them, which is why Im asking if there has been a concensus that mexico is better. based on initial responses, that would be seem to be the case.

On a side note, I just came over from the Bold. I was very concerned about the storm due to all the bad press, but so far, I am pleasantly suprised.
    Last edited by garment69; 12-17-08 at 03:55 PM.
    12-17-08 03:52 PM
    Even the worst built phones will last as long as you would ever use it. The worse thing that could possibly happen is the buttons falling off but I have never seen that personally. It's just a matter of whether or not you mind the gap and wiggling screen etc when you know there are others out there that don't have that problem. Does it affect performance? No. For me it's an aesthetic issue. A lot of storms have screen issues though and those should be returned without hesitation imho. It just so happens that my phones have both those gap problems and screen issues. It will be hard for me to make the choice of returning it once I get one with a good screen. I want the perfect Storm but I can only return it so many times.
    Last edited by Deathpoint; 12-17-08 at 04:00 PM.
    12-17-08 03:58 PM
    So better how? I mean, I saw your other post and I know this new one clicks better. Mine clicks fine, I think. Yes, its a bit firmer in the middle, but the edges work. I can shake the phone slightly and feel the screen going back and forth. Does your new one do that?
    Honestly, it's about the same. The old one has a little more wiggle, but they both move and the difference is minimal.

I still have some light leak under the screen by the 4 keys, and speaking of those, they are about the same.

I can also confirm that the accelerometer is much better in the replacement. I just finished setting up the new one to 100% like the old one (same ringtones and setting, same background, same apps installed/deleted, same everything), and the new one (Mexico) is much better.
    12-17-08 03:58 PM
    I cant imagine the accelorometer working any better. Personally, i wish it wasnt so sensitive.
    12-17-08 03:59 PM
    Meh, Im not buying the first build argument though. The Treo Pro, Iphone, Touch Pro, Touch Diamond, Omnia and the like are all build very well and they are first generation hardware. The Bold is a tank and its a BB device.

Understanding that the screen does "float" I expect a bit of wiggle. Im just wondering if what I have is considered good or if its considered junk.
    Well, first, the iPhone is not a first generation hardware, it is a second generation hardware and it's widely known that the first generation iPhone had some build quality issues (just google iPhone build quality). I can't speak for the other phones you listed because I've not handled them, but the reason the Bold might be built like a tank is because its design does not deviate a lot from other BB devices and BB has perfected building this style of design. The Storm is completely new from the ground up.

If you think it's good, then it's good. Who cares what other people consider it as?
    12-17-08 03:59 PM
    Had a CA model first. Second and current made in mexico. Mexican model ftw. However a search here will show some prefer the CA model over the mexican made. I think it all depends on how much was drank the day before in either place.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I Lol'd. That, or if it was a Monday build, or a Friday build.
    12-17-08 04:00 PM
    There is no difference with where they are produced. I had an old canadian model. Returned it. And Got a great new canadian model. Obviously, it is hard to manufacture this product with the moving screen. The fit tolerances for the screen and extremely small. If the spot there the screen sits is a millimeter too big the screen will shake and move too much and feel lose. If it is a millimeter too tight the screen has the corner clicking issues. It is a Quality control nightmare. Not knowing what to do, they just released the phone saying the quality was acceptable. The more people send them back, the more they will improve their quality standards. But as of now, its luck of the draw. thank god i got a good one on my second try.
    12-17-08 04:01 PM
    Well, first, the iPhone is not a first generation hardware, it is a second generation hardware and it's widely known that the first generation iPhone had some build quality issues (just google iPhone build quality). I can't speak for the other phones you listed because I've not handled them, but the reason the Bold might be built like a tank is because its design does not deviate a lot from other BB devices and BB has perfected building this style of design. The Storm is completely new from the ground up.

If you think it's good, then it's good. Who cares what other people consider it as?
    Well unfortunately, without a bunch of storms to compare it to, this is my only option to understand what I am dealing with. Im glad to hear that the light from the side of the screen affects more than just me.
    12-17-08 04:02 PM
    By the way, I am the kind of person who will return this phone 29 times in 30 days if necessary. So this is helpfull.
    12-17-08 04:06 PM
    everyone has the problem of the light bleeding out of the gap. as a matter of fact its not a problem. If you were to take it to a VZ store and tell the tech there is light coming out the edges of the screen, i would hope he would call you in ***** instead of explaining something to you that is common sense.
    12-17-08 04:14 PM
    everyone has the problem of the light bleeding out of the gap. as a matter of fact its not a problem. If you were to take it to a VZ store and tell the tech there is light coming out the edges of the screen, i would hope he would call you in ***** instead of explaining something to you that is common sense.
    Common sense? WFT are you talking about? On one side there is a line of light, on the other side nothing. Thats common sense that it should be that way?

Tell you one think about the storm, it has attracted alot of kids to these forums. You can see the post quality dropping by the minute.
    12-17-08 04:17 PM
    lol relax guys. Its a first gen Touch screen phone made by RIM. They never had anything like this. I have the light on the side of the screen very slightly to. Its still a fine phone. Some people just want everything so perfect. Keep sending it back and you start to keep getting the same thing. it is the way it is!
    12-17-08 04:26 PM
    It's a normal distribution. If you factor in the tolerance stack up on several parts (screen, screen mount, outside case, screen button, etc. ) you're going to have a range of fits, some being really tight, some being really loose, and most being somewhere in between. Obviously everybody would like to have the best phone possible, but when you are manufacturing millions(?) of a 1st gen device, the build quality cannot be expected to be absolutely perfected. FWIW, I haven't had any issues with mine in terms of lag or screen clicking (received 12/15), and haven't bothered to check where it was built, as it would probably just bias my opinion about it for no reason other than what some people have posted about their phones.
    12-17-08 04:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD