I just have one problem. I text a lot but it seems to cut off at 160 characters. Is there any way on the storm to extend this?

I mean receiving i get long essays but sending is another story. It gets cut off at 160. Does anyone have any ideas>?
    02-02-09 03:45 PM
    It's a Verizon issue; they cap at 160 if you are sending to non-Verizon customers.
    02-02-09 03:49 PM
    I just have one problem. I text a lot but it seems to cut off at 160 characters. Is there any way on the storm to extend this?

I mean receiving i get long essays but sending is another story. It gets cut off at 160. Does anyone have any ideas>?
    Send it mms!!!
    02-02-09 03:51 PM
    Send a text as mms instead of sms and u aren't limited

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-09 03:52 PM
    Thank you guys! works like a charm =)
    02-02-09 03:57 PM
    Search the forums. All of lifes dilemmas will be answered.
    02-02-09 03:58 PM
    I hate the cap.... Lame
    02-02-09 04:02 PM
    Its not Verizon, its the SMS standard. No way around it using SMS

02-02-09 04:32 PM
    SMS = SHORT Message Service. Note that first word that I emphasized for you. And like Moncha said, it's not a VZW thing, it's a SMS standard thing. Some phones may break up longer messages into multiple messages, but the Storm doesn't when on the VZW network.
    02-02-09 04:40 PM
    my old phone used to do it through verizon. you just kept typing and as long as you were sending a verizon to verizon text it would just convert the message into an mms message and it would go through. i dont necessarily know before its too late that i am going to go over the 160.. this definetly annoys me too!!
    02-02-09 09:23 PM
    It's so annoying and it is Verizon/Telus doing it it's nothing to do with SMS. SMS is limited to 160 characters but the carrier determines how it works. My old BB is an 8703e on Telus and my roomie has the same phone but Rogers. He can send long messages that get split up into multiple ones, but for me on mine 160 is the max. Even when I had non blackberries, like my LG Chocolate, it too would limit it at 140 or 160 characters, yet on Rogers again my RAZR would split it into multiple. I constantly receive texts from friends using Rogers and it's always 2 or 3 messages but when I reply I have to send one, type the next send, next send, so annoying.
    02-02-09 09:51 PM
    It's so annoying and it is Verizon/Telus doing it it's nothing to do with SMS. SMS is limited to 160 characters but the carrier determines how it works. My old BB is an 8703e on Telus and my roomie has the same phone but Rogers. He can send long messages that get split up into multiple ones, but for me on mine 160 is the max. Even when I had non blackberries, like my LG Chocolate, it too would limit it at 140 or 160 characters, yet on Rogers again my RAZR would split it into multiple. I constantly receive texts from friends using Rogers and it's always 2 or 3 messages but when I reply I have to send one, type the next send, next send, so annoying.
    That is actually a CDMA/BB thing.

For some reason (no one can tell me why specifically) on CDMA networks BB's don't automatically split SMS's larger than 160 characters into multiple messages. They do it on GMS networks, and Verizon (CDMA) did it on my Treo, but not on my storm. Go figure.
    02-02-09 10:12 PM
    Strange no idea, all I know is every phone I've had on Rogers it would split it into multiple, and most my friends are on Rogers/Fido (GSM) and I receive split up texts all the time. On Telus (CDMA) I've had my 8703e, I have the storm, I had an old LG flip, an old audiovox flip, and the realllly old mister skinny, and none of them split messages up, also when I had solo mobile (CDMA on Bell) for a year with the LG Chocolate it wouldn't split them either so from my experience with X number of phones it seems like the only way CDMA can split them is if the handset is coded to manually do it itself, where as GSM seems to be more automatic?
    02-03-09 08:39 AM
    So does everyone think that this is basically a non-preferenceable setting on blackberries on cdma? Seems like a bizarre answer to me...I've used 8320s on gsm that splits the messages gracefully and tells you how many sms you are sending. I am typing this post on a sprint 8330 where each text has a hard stop at 160 chars. Really odd that somehow this is carrier specific and not device controlled.

Perhaps a hard coded thing to unlocked phones?

03-06-09 06:21 PM
    How do you send a message as MMS? Sorry, but I'm new to BB's and the only options I have are Email, PIN, SMS and BB Messenger.

I'm on Telus with a 9530 running .75 if that means anything.

- R.
    03-06-09 07:51 PM
    i dont necessarily know before its too late that i am going to go over the 160.. this definetly annoys me too!!
    You know, as you type in your sms, theres a number in the top center of the screen that starts out at 160, and as you type each character, it goes down by one, right?
    03-06-09 07:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD