View Poll Results: How did you come to the Storm?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Past experience with touchscreen and I like the Storm.

99 53.80%
  • No past experience with touchscreen and I like the Storm.

75 40.76%
  • Past experience with touchscreen and I don't like the Storm.

6 3.26%
  • No past experience with touchscreen and I don't like the Storm.

4 2.17%
    I'm very pleased with the Storm. Just wondering how many people who are pleased with it have experience with a device like a Palm or other touch screen that is very large.

Maybe most of the dissatisfication comes from BB users that really never had a large screen, or a touchscreen. If you used "graffiti" on a Palm in the 90s and had no physical keyboard, I'm guessing the Storm is an easier transition for you.

I always carried a Palm and a cell phone. In 2003 I got a Kyocera that had the Palm OS and was a phone so I'd only have to carry one piece. Then the Treo 650. Then Samsung I760 Windows Mobile 6. That was a nice progression to the Storm which seems to have many of the best qualities of all of those.

My speculation is that many people that came through a similar route like the Storm.

What has your experience been if you like the Storm or don't like the Storm.
    04-03-09 07:27 AM
    My only other major touchscreen experience is from using a GPS constantly
    04-03-09 07:29 AM
    My dad recently purchased a storm. and he loves it. His bill has increased quite a bit, cause he got two of them, but yeah. he likes his storm quite a bit.

His prior phones:
    kyocera 3035
    kyocera 3035e
    lg vx3200
    V3M
    voyager
    storm

I was amazed when he bought the 3200, as he was anti flip phones... to the point that he was badmouth OEM's that produced them haha
    Last edited by vandebe; 04-03-09 at 07:43 AM. Reason: didnt get to my point
    04-03-09 07:42 AM
    I had a Treo, and I loved the touch screen albeit with a pen.

I personally love the Storm. I dont have too many issues, but it was my first BB. My wife has had BB's forever and doesnt care for the Stor, Hmm, I wonder.
    04-03-09 08:12 AM
    My most RECENT past phones were a Samsung Glyde (HATED and the physical keyboard made it morbidly obese) and LG Dare (loved for a dumb phone), so by the time I got to the Storm I was already used to a big touch screen and the learning curve for me was the fact that it was a BB and the click part of the screen. I'm good with electronics so I adjusted to the BlackBerry OS really quickly and I really like the click so that worked for me too.
    04-03-09 08:20 AM
    Several of my buddies have the iPhone so my only experience with a touchscreen was playing with one of theirs.

That said I'm thinking the reason I enjoy this phone so much is that prior to owning the Storm I have never had a BlackBerry or any type of PDA for that matter.

I don't think it's a stretch to think that RIM was targeting individuals like myself with this device in order to grow the brand; all the pre-Storm BlackBerry owners probably new last summer whether or not they would make the jump on release date. And others waited to see reactions on these forums before trying it out.

Perhaps another theory would be:

Prior BlackBerry User - Love the Storm
    No Previous BlackBerry/PDA - Love the Storm
    Prior BlackBerry User - Hate the Storm
    No Previous BlackBerry/PDA - Hate the Storm
    04-03-09 08:23 AM
    I think it's a lot simpler than that. The people who saw a TV commercial, thought, "Wow! That looks SO cool!" and then rushed down to the VZW (or insert other carrier name here) store to buy one, are the people who are most upset. And I'd say that, if they were really honest with themselves, they're really upset with themselves. They are the ones stupid enough to believe that a TV commercial would be an accurate representation. This is why you tend to see them all coming back to the fact that the device doesn't perform like the TV commercials. They got taken for a bit of a ride, are too embarrassed to admit their stupidity, and so they try and blame it on someone else.

Those of us who did our due diligence, researching the device beforehand, and thus had a pretty good idea what it was we were getting into... We are the ones who are generally satisfied with the device. We realize there are a few rough edges, but we knew that going in, and so we don't need to act like a 3-year old throwing a tantrum.

People just don't want to admit to their stupidity, plain and simple. They were impulsive, it bit them in the arse, so naturally it's someone else's fault. That just makes perfect sense, doesn't it?
    04-03-09 08:25 AM
    I'm 75% pleased with it. 1st BB and there are some things that are awesome.

At the same time, the unstability is unacceptable. In the middle of leaving a very important voice message today and the d@mn phone freezes.

I unfortunately had to use my phone in a quasi-emergency once before (multiple 911 calls) and it stood up in that urgent situation. But if it could freeze on me while I was leaving a voice message, it could certainly freeze on me when I desperately needed it.

Still having mixed emotions on this thing. I'll admit to a love affair the 1st month but there are days here and there when I want to punt this thing across the room.
    04-03-09 08:26 AM
    I was absoultely one of the people who heard about it and HAD to have it, of course I did do quite a bit of research prior to making the leap. (Which is how I came across this site actually)

I remember playing with a Pearl in one of the Verizon stores back in March 2008 and thinking that it was IMPOSSIBLE. I could not figure out the trackball, icons, no idea what a BB button was, etc.

The Storm on the other hand is ridiculously user friendly and intuitive; using the phone just makes sense (to me at least, my wife would never buy one). Other than the bugs and weird random glitches it is a great device - though I don't seem to have some of the major issues that others are complaining about - and should only get better with time.
    04-03-09 08:39 AM
    Extremely pleased with the storm. When I originally got it with factory loaded .75, I have to admit kind of did suck. But after loading newer firmware, I LOVE IT!

Definitely a major improvement from my crappy old iPhone 3g!
    04-03-09 08:40 AM
    I went from Env-----> Palm Centro -----------> Storm. .113 is the first time I have been actually satisfied with this device as is. I look forward to more and more advancements.
    04-03-09 08:47 AM
    MOST of storm users that are completely satisfied either haven't been blackberry users for a while (i'm talking 2+years) or come from other devices and platforms. So sure the storm is good compared to some of the other devices (like a treo, centro or LG Dare). But hardcore blackberry users have gotten use to a certain level of quality and stability with Blackberries. And the Storm doesn't meet those expectations they way other blackberries do and have done in the past.
    Also if they are a previous blackberry user, I think it depends on which device they came. I mean if you're coming from a 7100 or pearl to the Storm, then yes the Storm is the greatest device ever. But if you're like me and when from the curve for about a year then to the Bold for a couple months and then to the Storm, you may have been slightly disappointed. Same reason why a lot of people love the iPhone. Before that they were probably using a Razr or Treo LOL. Hard to recognize the flaws when it's so much better than what you've ever had.

This is why I don't pay attention to newbie blackberry and their outlash when someone criticizes the device. If they like it great, but they will not understand why a lot of hardcore blackberry users don't like it. I don't think the Storm is a bad device, but having experience with every Blackberry over the past 2 1/2 years from the 8703 to Storm, it surely let me down and I almost couldn't believe it was a RIM product.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 04-03-09 at 09:39 AM.
    04-03-09 09:28 AM
    Several of my buddies have the iPhone so my only experience with a touchscreen was playing with one of theirs.

That said I'm thinking the reason I enjoy this phone so much is that prior to owning the Storm I have never had a BlackBerry or any type of PDA for that matter.

I don't think it's a stretch to think that RIM was targeting individuals like myself with this device in order to grow the brand; all the pre-Storm BlackBerry owners probably new last summer whether or not they would make the jump on release date. And others waited to see reactions on these forums before trying it out.

Perhaps another theory would be:

Prior BlackBerry User - Love the Storm
    No Previous BlackBerry/PDA - Love the Storm
    Prior BlackBerry User - Hate the Storm
    No Previous BlackBerry/PDA - Hate the Storm
    I agree. I think a lot of it has to do with who's had a BB/smart phone before. Because I worked at VZW in college, I was expected to be the BB expert to all my friends and family. So I knew what a BB could do, I just never actually DID it. Actually getting the phone and doing these things didn't upset me on the Storm because I have no previous BB experience to compare it to.
    04-03-09 09:32 AM
    i started out my bb experience with the scrolling 7130e bb, i loved the phone but then i heard bout the storm n started savin my money, now i have it n love it what more can i say ........ohhh yeah OS .113 is killa
    04-03-09 09:35 AM
    Lg dare
    BB curve 8330
    Storm
    I love my storm it was great on.75
    Even better running .113
    Amazing phone but patience is a virtue not the phone for everyone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

04-03-09 09:36 AM
    Lg dare
    BB curve 8330
    Storm
    Even better running .113
    Amazing phone but patience is a virtue not the phone for everyone.

04-03-09 09:37 AM
    I love the Storm. I have been using touchscreens since 1998 when the first palm came out. I have been using WinMo since 2005. Having said that, I have to agree with the OP I think if you come from BB land you are probably less than happy, but if you come from anywhere else you don't have an axe to grind.

BTW, instead of using the app store use handango.com its easier and has the same apps.

04-03-09 09:56 AM
    I got my first BB in 2004, and since then I've had a Treo, a PPC (hated it!), a Centre, a Curve, and now the Storm. I love the BB system but Palm is great too, just not so much for business.

04-03-09 10:06 AM
    My progress was EnV EnV2 Dare then Storm. I also have an 8830 for work so I have prior BB experience.
    I was thrilled with he Storm since I got mine on day 1. Still original handset too and no issues. The official OS does have lots of bugs but thanks to the leaks I like my Storm just fine.

04-03-09 10:13 AM
    I have to say, My last phone was the Voyger, which we all know was one of Verizon first touch screens. I did not like it at all. I usually used the keyboard to do all my typing and navagation.

For my media, I have the Ipod touch. Tho, the Ipod touch is great and all, i still like my Storms touch screen. I typed some memos on my Ipod touch and it was hard to type on I felt.

I love my Storm. I am running .75 and never had any major problems.

My theory...

If your uses to the Iphone/Ipod Touch screen... then it might be hard working the Storm. But coming from a crappy touch screen as the Voyger... The STORM is King...
    04-03-09 10:17 AM
    I came from the xv6700. That phone was pure garbage.

04-03-09 10:19 AM
    I had the old Nokia with the midi ring tones and the greyscale screens back in middle school, then had a Sanyo rubberized phone. It was awesome but a bit boring. Then we switched to Verizon and had the Alias up until a month ago. Now I have this lovely phone.

I researched the phone prior to getting it, and it was between the Curve, Saga, or this. Knowing my lifestyle, I chose this and I couldn't be happier. I don't type as fast with this phone but the keyboard is also much larger than my Alias. I'm not a business user or anything so I'm not as concerned about some of the features not being that great.

And I love Suretype!

04-03-09 10:28 AM
    I went from Env-----> Palm Centro -----------> Storm. .113 is the first time I have been actually satisfied with this device as is. I look forward to more and more advancements.
    That is my exact path to the Storm as well. I liked the Centro and I thought the enV was a good phone too. I made a quick adjustment to the Storm although I'm still slow with typing. I really want the OS updat
    e because while I am a patient person, there some things that need to be more reliable. I think that the OP may be onto something with Palm link...for some us anyway.

04-03-09 10:35 AM
    Doesn't seem so far that prior touchscreen experience makes too much of a difference. People from many different devices seem to come to and like the Storm.
    04-03-09 09:30 PM
    Lg dare
    Storm
    Even better running .113
    same here... dare then storm, love it
    04-03-09 09:48 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD